The Thing about Sin…

Every time someone mentions the word “sin,” I squint a little… and wait for the speaker to explain herself or himself. Why, you may ask? Well, the thing about sin is that one can’t just go around asking a person to share a sin, or a “reprehensible or regrettable action, behavior, lapse, etc.; great fault or offense” without elaborating.

Take the Seven Deadly Sins, as an example—no Luvs, not the Lifetime miniseries where “Harper Grace is a manipulative queen bee at her local high school, but her popularity is usurped when transfer student Kaia Sellers comes to town, seducing her friend Beth’s boyfriend Adam, and even shamelessly pursuing handsome French teacher Mr. Powell,” but the vices found within Christian ethics. See how confusing this can be?

So… when Señor Narrator asked me to share my own 7 deadly sins, I decided to completely ignore the word “deadly” and run with the rest of the idea (yep, I’m wicked to the bone):   

Pride – I’m one of “The Few. The Proud. The Marines.” I’m Dominican, a witchy woman and an Aries. Yeah, my Luvs, my pride is not a sin, but an expected virtue.  

Envy – I covet the gift of writers who can illustrate their own work. But as a Witch, I know that emotions are energy and they can be changed into anything I want. I choose to take the good old jealousy I feel when I see my friend’s wondrous colors and shapes, and turn it into admiration. Now you know why I’m always promoting beautiful art. I’m envious!

Wrath – My fury is always ready to be delivered—via words, most of the time—to those who seem to embrace stupidity, and those who worship their own ignorance.

Sloth Sid

Greed – I want all the books in the world, and all of my Piano Man’s time, and I want all the French vanilla coffee in the universe, and I want unlimited backrubs, endless writing time and...

Gluttony – Did I mention that I over-drink French vanilla coffee? And I can get quite wild in front of fresh French bread, dulce de leche ice cream, mangoes, Dominican cake… and I eat pineapple until my tongue goes numb.

Lust – Really? This is a sin? You must be joking. I’ve always thought my lusty nature was one of my most adorable virtues; live, love, laugh while you’re lusting and learn to do it often.

So, my Luvs, care to share a few sins (as defined by you) in the comment section? Run wild with it. Have fun. Be happy. Laugh a lot (even while you aren’t lusting). Life is too short for frowning. 

Feel free to pick up the seven-deadly-sin-ball and blog about it (from your perspective, of course). If you don’t have a blog, share your take on Facebook, or get really creative and Tweet a sin (or seven)… Don’t forget to tell me about it; leave me a link with your comment, tag me, you know…   

39 comments:

  1. You can't have all the books.... *Unhooks linstock and gets into fighting stance.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm lusting after your linstock!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love this theme. So many "sins" to choose from...this has been on my mind a lot lately. I believe I shall ponder this then write on it. That's Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ponder away, and then share with moi. I do love to read my dear friends' view in topics I find interestingly sinful :-D

      Delete
  3. Etymology time! I was delighted to find that the word sin probably derives from the Phrygians! The good old Phyrgians gave us a number of other useful words, like freedom)!

    It also most likely means truth. Sin means truth. Hhm. Truth is very dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite bit about the origin of the word sin is that it also refers to "wander," and yes, "truth," too. How cool is that!

      Delete
  4. Pride: I'm a Leo. I don't relish asking for help, and if I'm offered half-hearted help, I tend to go into a don't-do-me-any-#@$%-favours mode. ;) Envy: Hmm... I really don't think I'm particularly envious, and I'm definitely not the jealous type. I enjoy the success of the people I care about. I suppose I feel resentment when someone who appears undeserving seems to get whatever they want. Wrath: I'm a purring kitty cat unless someone crosses a line with me, then I am Leo, hear me roar! Especially if someone hurts my family or friends. Sloth: Again, like a lion, I can be both energetic and lazy. Haha. Greed: I'm greedy for more time to spend with those I love, and to achieve my goals. Gluttony: chocolate, wine, champagne, cappuccinos, strawberry daiquiris, chips. Lust: Yes! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lust" and Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! seem to go together, don't they?

      Delete
  5. I've always thought that our acceptance of the concept of sin centers squarely around the fact that enjoyable things are that much more enjoyable when denied. I think we all participate subconsciously and collectively in creating mores, norms, and customers that vilify the most enjoyable acts.

    I also find very concerning any proposed alternative. This would center around the universe being created backwards and humans being broken on purpose. This is so illogical for any sentient life form. It would be almost unthinkable for one so intimately knowledgeable in creation of worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It seems strange that most of the acts forbidden by overall societal ethics (and many times laws) are those, which the body and the brain crave for. A little sex and a little lust, anyone?

      Delete
  6. Tweeting a Sin sounds so naughty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *giggles and plans to tweet all kinds of sins just for squeaks and, um... giggles*

      Delete
  7. I lust after a really good book.... I envy the bookstore owners who can at any time peruse their millions of books.. I admit to being greedy w/books.. when one catches my eye, I will buy it, even tho I may have tons at home sitting to be read.. My theory is: " you can never have enough books, there's always room for another!" My pride shows when I look at the collection of books that I've stacked over the years and can't believe how much I have spent and read. :-) (ok, stop laughing).....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lusting over your book collection, even if I haven't seen it. I'm wicked, wicked, wicked!

      Delete
  8. Having studied this list of character flaws and bad behavior much as I wandered through Christianity, I came to the conclusion there is only really one sin - pride. My point of view became that Pride got bragging rights because its ability to elevate the SELF can lead to each of the other 6 No-Nos.

    That grand hypothesis aside, my evolved understanding on all seven is: if it harm none . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....lust as you will.

      I wanted to finish your saying *teehee*

      Delete
    2. For some reason, I can't stop giggling ☺

      Delete
  9. hmmmm...if I lust another persons lustfulness...does it double the sin, or justify it? :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lust is strong in this one. Let it come, let it come... ;-D

      Delete
    2. ...um, "with this one"! Hot, damn.

      Delete
  10. I think I was 50 before I could start to begin to unhook myself from the idea that the 7 deadlies were to be avoided. Much healthier to integrate them . You are doing more good than you know Magaly by writing that they are a normal part of each person's psyche, something to be embraced not shunned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by a lot of people (mostly women) who showed me that there is no sin in being human; even if many groups do all they can to make society think otherwise. The fault lies in denying who we are, methinks.

      Delete
  11. Sloth. I leave my bra wherever it gets flung. *giggle*

    Lust. It's usually why said bra is found on the floor, dresser, couch... *ahem*

    ReplyDelete
  12. How can lust be a sin? One of the strongest biological imperatives, like self preservation, cannot be a sin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I guess creating more life is a sin, too. I mean, what is lust if not another way for Nature to make sure that people continue making more of themselves?

      Delete
  13. I also want all the books in the world. And all the time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get all the books in the world, I'm moving in with you!

      Delete
  14. Ok - sin today? You are having some religious quandaries lately, are you? To me there is no such thing as sin, though there are bad ways to deal with any strong emotion - stealing and abusing for instance.

    My monster is forever Wrath. Wrath is a creature born from sadness, frustration, abuse, dissatisfaction and hate. Wrath lives in my stomach, and has a scream that thunders and pierces at the same time. "Live, Love, Laugh" is just gibberish to Wrath. It's pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me roar! I'm always super interested in the things people find important--and seem to live their lives by. Philosophy of religion is a big one. I'm not sure if it's the holidays or what, but these days I get a lot of emails from people asking very religious questions. I wonder if it's the cold...

      Oh, and the "live, love and laugh" bit was about lust. The idea of those emotions along with wrath make me think of Batman's The Joker ;-D

      Delete
    2. You have no idea how spot on you are.
      "Some people just want to watch the world burn"
      That could have been written about me :)

      Delete
    3. Sometimes we need to be a little terrible.

      Delete
  15. Oh my sexy sinful sister, where to begin, where to begin? I resemble each of these bits, but at the moment am thinking of gluttony and lust. I have most happily stuffed myself with mashed potatoes, dressing, turkey and sweet potatoes, (taking a deep breath), whole wheat muffins, celery filled with cream cheese, black olives and topped it all off with coconut cake. I make no apologies for enjoying each and every bite, and revel in the thoughts of a little sandwich before bed. And of course bed brings luscious lust to the party. (You know, bowchickabowbow. Hehehehe) Sharing that magical bliss with the man I married 24 years ago, wraps me in pride. Yes, I am a naughty little witch, but definitely a happy one. Hugs to you sweetie. Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want coconut cake before and after my bowchickabowbow! LOL

      Delete
  16. Ok, I was already to post something and I can't stop laughing about you and Mina's bowchickabowbow! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mina's words have that effect on me, too ;-)

      Delete
  17. Dulce de leche ice cream..one of my favorite memories of our sisterhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dulce de leche ice cream and our feet (okay, my feet) on the wall. Yum! Sweet memory, indeed!

      Delete