Short Fiction Reviews

I enjoy short stories; writing them, reading them, eating them up slowly… Certain short tales—“A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings” by Gabriel García Márquez, “Circular Ruins” by Jorge Luis Borges, “The Decapitated Chicken” by Horacio Quiroga, “Do Not Hasten to Bid Me Adieu” by Norman Partridge, “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” by Harlan Ellison, “The Sea and Little Fishes” by Terry Pratchett, “Snow, Glass, Apples” by Neil Gaiman, “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe, “Corn Silk” by moi—I read over and over again… searching for (and discovering) secrets.

I’m quite fond of short web fiction, too. I’m totally in lust with Mabel Bunt by Rhissanna and Narrator. Not long ago, I wept with Kestril’s “Twelve Times Seven and Change,” trembled with Diandra’s “Witch Child,” gasped as I read “Writing in the Dark” by John Xero… touched Risqué.”

Because I’m all about spreading the goodness, I think a short dark fiction review (or three) is in order… Every now and then, you know? Mayhap on Saturdays, but I don’t want to compromise; you know how these things go.

I won’t take review requests. I just can’t. Instead, I will keep an eye on the works of those who read (and interact via comments) both here and at Pagan Culture. And, of course, recommendations from my Wicked Darling readers will be considered as well. Speaking of recommendations, considerations and other words ending on “ations,” have you read something short, dark and delicious, lately? If not, here is a recommendation: AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories *I heard the writer of this tale is intelligent, witty, witchy yummy, hot and so very modest. Oh, and she truly delights in short stories ;-D*

If you are a Wicked Darling (you follow my personal blog, this blog, or both) and you want me to keep an eye on your short writings (and perhaps review them), grab my button… and participate. The latter is usually what gets me to visit (and remember) other people’s blogs and spread the yumminess I find there. Link to the original Short Fiction Reviews post. Read this for details.

AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories
Free on Amazon (for limited time)
For the love of dark and delicious short stories, and because I can be rather impulsive, you can grab a free Kindle copy of AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories from November 19th to November 21st. Spread the word, enjoy the reading, review the tales... and tell me about it, my Wicked Luvs. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! Am clasping hands and dancing! The best thing for any writer is to have the reader swept up and carried along by the story. That's why we do it, to transport people. Your support and encouragement for Mabel Bunt means such a lot to Mr N and myself; it feeds what we do and makes it possible. Thank you for being wonderful and wicked and for doing what you do.(And I really am going to have to read 'Do Not Hasten to Bid Me Adieu", what with it dear Lucy starring in it and all)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh...what with it starring dear Lucy and all. I can type. Honest.

      Delete
    2. Well, m'luv, I'm swept and then some. So give me more!

      Delete
  2. In many creative fields, the most discriminating and articulate reviewer is often one of the creator's peers. Honest appraisals can be the stone that hones one's craft. A thoughtful, sincere critique is a gift.

    Since your appetite for the wonderfully wicked has whetted my own, I can't wait to read your opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, and kind of sad, isn't it? You would think that we would help each other out and rejoice in each other's work, but that isn't always true...

      I'm glad you want to read my opinions because I have many ;-D

      Delete
  3. Oh my you've done it again.....lead me down the "rim prosed path" to more writers of stories worth reading. Thanks darling girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the tales and tell me about it. I don't know why, but I think you'll really like Mabel Bunt

      Delete