Shaken

I don’t like generalizations. They are almost always untrue… or at least inaccurate. But I will risk it on this occasion, and say that the characters birthed by a writer’s mind are often real to their makers. I guess I didn’t risk it after all… Sneaky “often” oh, well.

This morning, I woke up with AlmaMia Cienfuegos in my mind… I shared something about my relationship with the Wild Girl, which evoked a comment that left me shaken (here is some of it):

Magaly: “I think she is staying true to herself, and I am staying true to her (even when I’ve found myself trying to protect her from her world). I wasn’t expecting what she did at the (new and extended) ending of “AlmaMia Cienfuegos,” the short story (No spoilers!). Now, I’m seeing her grow into herself in front of my eyes. It’s exciting... and scary. She is so very wild and ready for everything... so much so, that I know every now and then she forgets she is just a nine-year-old girl.”

Sharon: “There are special Souls that come into our world to shake us out of our packages. They will teach us that time honored recipes can be improved by the spices from another cookbook, and it is we, that will benefit from the feast. AlmaMia is one such!”

This is the actual status update. I wanted to share it here (to keep it here) before going back into AlmaMia’s world (things tend to get lost and buried when left on Facebook walls):

Rereading AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories before adding more words to Wishing upon Earth and Bone; I want to make sure that this mile-a-minute writing speed doesn’t impact the tone of my characters too much. 

“She squeezed her jaws tight to keep her mouth from blurting out her thoughts. AlmaMia wanted to know why everyone waited until she was nine-years-old to tell her that she had been born seeing the world and ready to bite it.” ~ Wishing upon Earth and Bone

By the way, here are the words that inspired the novel I’m currently working on: “Sofía made a fist and let the wet earth squish through her closed fingers. ‘We can choose not to remember this day, but bones have strong memories. And earth never forgets.’” ~ AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Stories 

What about you, my Wicked Luvs? Is there a character you’ve written or read whose touch feels nearly as real as that of the flesh and bone people who walk around our world?

“imaginary gardens with real toads in them” ~ Poetry Marianne Moore
I prefer frogs ;-)

8 comments:

  1. "She squeezed her jaws tight to keep her mouth from blurting out her thoughts" I love that!

    As for characters I've read, Molly Grue is my Mary Sue. Characters I write seem to come from a limited palette, but I do know them really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your characters. The way they love themselves, are happy with who they... as of right now, I'm crazy about Mabel and Grizzle *wink, wink* More Grizzle!

      Delete
  2. Dolores Price from "She's Come Undone". Felt like me in a book. I don't get to write anymore, or do anything of a creative nature. I live through the souls you bring into my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist a yummy story, you know that! So I've just added it to my list. I shall email you after I read it. Now I won't be able to go through the story without looking for similarities.

      Delete
  3. ‘We can choose not to remember this day, but bones have strong memories. And earth never forgets. Love that line Magaly!! And, I love the picture ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like both the picture and the words. They are both very dear to me *hehehe*

      Delete
  4. When I write of Cybella, the gypsy, she is like one of those house of mirror images.....you see one and then another and then you realize that it is only one with lots of facets.....like a diamond. I have continued her story but not shared it because it almost became like journaling. Personal, close....I could almost call her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand having characters that become family--or so close to us that sharing them would be exposure. I've written a story or three that make me think of your Cybella...

      Delete