Seeing Red…

…and being thankful for it.

She was a Corpsman. We met during a hike. I went too long without changing socks, and my feet showed their disapproval in the form of painful hot spots and blisters.

“How bad are they?” she said as she rummaged through her pack.

“I recognize my toes.” When she glared at me, I added, “I’m supposed to have four toes on each foot, right?”

“Pick a color of shame.” She raised three pairs of socks.

We wore brown socks with our uniform. But when we did something really stupid—like not changing our socks for too many miles—the Doc made us wear one of her colors of shame: white, black or red. Most Marines said she did it to torture and humiliate. But they were just bitching. Her aim was to spot the non-brown socks first, after we finished the exercise and took our boots off. That way she could treat the effects of our stupidity before it turned into an actual infection.

“Black and red are my favorite colors,” I said.

“Sad colors to fancy,” she told me, “dangerous colors. Why not bring a little white into your life?” She offered the white socks. “White for all that is good and pure and not rotting off.” She grinned.

I didn’t touch the white socks. “Red speaks of passion and life-blood, of daring; birth begins in blackness.” I shook my head at her insistence that I accept the white socks. “White is said to be the color of the light some claim to have seen when death called them into her arms.”

“You’re creepy,” she said, handing me the red socks.

“And you, Doc, are freaking short,” I said

“That’s an interesting comeback.” 

“No comeback. Just facts: I’m creepy, you are short.”

She walked away laughing a laugh that sounded too loud to be coming out of a four feet ten inches bit of Sailor.

I will always be thankful for the day I met my forever friend, and many other service men and women. We should all be. In the words of a madman who walks up and down a street near my home: “If you see a veteran today, say thank you. Don’t be an ungrateful son of a bastard. Be polite.”

I like being a grateful, polite daughter of a non-bastard, so I wish to thank every veteran who served before me, with me, and after me. My special thanks to the wielder of the socks of shame, for your service and for this beauty (see below). I promise to fill your gift with deliciously creepy things:
 

Speaking of Delicious Gifts…
Kestril, you totally rock. I started reading Kushiel’s Dart, today. I’m on chapter four, and totally intrigued by Phèdre nó Delaunay’s world. Thanks so much for this story and for the others, too. 

The following reached my home via Eliora. It is a mixture of purchase and gift. I bought the cabinet a few weeks before All Hallow’s Eve. Just the cabinet and a couple of things to go in it… My eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when I saw the size of the box in which everything arrived. I would need at least five of these cabinets, maybe more, to fit all the goodies Lori sent for the Little Princess and me. Thanks a bunch for the key, for the polka dots, for the beautiful red… 
 

The next selection of yumminess comes from Tabitha Lenox. I won her Broomsticks on the Bayou giveaway. I roared when I saw this little Devil Baby Mojo Doll was coming to me. He reminded me of the main character of Hot Stuff, which happens to be my first tattoo. Lil’ Mojo found his home in this wee well, in the company of a very playful gargoyle. Thanks for everything, Kim. I love the tiny skull, the black tourmaline pendant and the card makes the perfect bookmark.

This album, full of happy skulls, is from Halloween Jingles Bells Boo. Thank you Debb! I’m enchanted by the texture and the gloss. I promise to fill it with October memories. 

Have a great Monday, my Luvs. And if you see a veteran, remember what the madman said

24 comments:

  1. Yes indeed to red. And to taking care of your feet. They really do repay the smallest acts of kindness. Bit of oil. bit of love and they're happy.

    What a lot of goodies! You lucky thing, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red is yummy. And someone who hikes all the time should know better, but sometimes stubbornness (and a pinch of laziness) gets in the way, and ouch!

      Delete
  2. Short people are funny :)
    What lovely gifts you have received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny and awesome; to embrace a bit of cliché--some of the best things in life come in loud little packages. That's how the saying goes, right? *hehehe*

      And yes, I love my gifts ;-D

      Delete
  3. I think that one of the best ways to thank veterans is to VOTE when you've got the opportunity to do so. Don't throw away what all the sacrifice was for. It's disgraceful how low our voting percentage is in Canada and the US these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Debra. Don't make someone else's sacrifice to be for nothing. The turn out here was rather pitiful, too. I was calling some friends and acquaintances (trying to make voting day something fun, a group thing, you know?). One of them told me she didn't vote. I asked why. She said that politicians only care about money. I agreed that her assessment was right in many cases, but maybe we could try to put the least indecent in power. Then I asked who would she picked if she actually had the chance to vote (I listed the two main candidate). She replied, "I don't don't who these people are. Sorry."

      It broke my heart a little. Because she is an educated individual. Someone from whom I expected more; at least to know who was running for the mayor seat in her own damn city *sigh*

      Delete
  4. As a fellow Veteran, I spend the day Liking and +1-ing every "Thank you Veterans" post I see.
    I'm also considering cashing in some of the Veterans Day deals, like free food. We'll see what the day brings.
    From a veteran Sailor to a veteran Marine, Thank you, and enjoy your day!
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, right back! I hope you got all the delicious freebies and honoring bits out there ;-)

      Delete
  5. Canada is terrible for voter turn out as well! The cockcoos in power is proof of that. I shame family members to vote...it works, that's what I can do........Thank you for your service and bless the crazy man! (as a fox!).
    Your gifts are spectacular ! Huge Hugs....another loud short person xoDebi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad thing, isn't it? Someone goes and fights so we can be free, and we just kind of sit around looking at how pretty freedom is, but fail to accept its benefits. Infuriating!

      Delete
  6. Lets hope all those people who display the flag and say they support the troops also support the policies that help them when they return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tribute Magaly ;o) I love all your treasures you have received! That cabinet is gorgeous! I got my painting and earrings! Will be posting about everything soon ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy your goodies very, very, very much as they were all sent to you with much love ;-)

      Delete
  8. Magaly, your continuing commitment to our country, and to your fellow Service personnel is humbling and inspiring. Thank you for your service and for who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, see? I really like that world set up. Admittedly action starts ramping up later in the book, but I frelling love it anyways. I've enjoyed the book suggestions you've given me too - research is awesome!

    Thanks to you, your sock giving friend and all the folks who protect this country. As that girl always picked last for any physical activity in school, I am awed by the strength and commitment of those who serve in our armed forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "sock giving friend" I think she would have liked that, a lot.

      Delete
  10. You know there's a fine line between madness and genius. ;-) Sayeth...someone whose name I cannot remember. We should all be thankful for our service men and women everyday, so thank you, my darling Magaly.

    The treasures you have received are fantastic! OMG! That little red devil is a pure delight. Hugs to you always, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was the same person who said that writers are just mad people who are proud to write the stories of the voices in their heads ;-D

      Delete
  11. I know this is late (excuses are like certain parts of the body, but I've been plagued by a very special round of cluster headaches since last week), but you know you're the first one I thought of. You will have my thanks even if I'm not around to say it. And, a big thank you to other Veterans.

    Love all those gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life happens, babe. I, for instance, haven't answer my messages for a bit. My inbox is a nightmare. I'm afraid to look at it...

      Hope the headache goes away ;-(

      Delete