Grandmothers, Rhythms, Ashes and Bone

I spent last Sunday night with the Sandman… 

I dreamed that a friend wrote a book with a very interesting cover… I dreamed Mamabuela got out of her story to tell me that she wasn’t all that impressed with the amount of time I was taking to finish writing AlmaMia’s tale. Then I dreamed that I was writing under the watchful eyes of a giant Grandmother Tree 

I told Francie, the artist who painted the tree, about my dream. She said that she was creating a prayer or meditation, which would go with the painting. She did. It is short, deep and freeing; it reads like a mantra. If you have a minute, stop by A North End Journal to read “Writing the Grandmother Prayer.” Reading it left me thinking of warmth that is rooted in the reclaiming of tradition.

On Saturday, I spent a long time crying… I blame Kestril Trueseeker (Rommy) for it. Actually, I should thank her for inspiring the cleansing tears. “Twelve Times Seven and Change” took me to a place I needed to go. It left my heart a little raw… But celebrating love is worth the pain every time, “even if it hurts like hell.” If you haven’t done it yet, fly over to Kestril’s Rhythms and Groove… cry and laugh a little; it feels good.

If the crying leaves you in need of pampering, visit Alchemy & Ashes, Shawnee Kircher enjoyed All Hallow’s Grim so much that she has created a coupon that gives you, my Wicked Luvs, “15% off your entire purchase through November 30th.” The code is DARKMAGALY. I’m currently rejoicing in MacBeth the Red 11th Century Ale, The Wild Woodsman Primitive Pine Tar and Nevermore, Lenore… Yes, I do make pleasure noises every time the soaps caress my senses.

Last, but never least, Wishing upon Earth and Bone is moving forward (so back off Mamabuela!) and surprising me over and over. I joined NaNoWriMo thinking that it wasn’t the best of ideas—sometimes, my inner lazy still sends those thoughts my way—but the truth is that it was (and it is) a great choice. To quote psycho Annie from Stephen King’s Misery, “I am busier than a one-armed paperhanger,” but the mild anxiety is morphing into delicious motivation. I’m an Aries, I do not like to lose, so those 50,000 words (good ones, let’s hope) will be written by November 30th.
What about you, my Wicked darling Luvs, what have you been up to? 

18 comments:

  1. I know my grandmothers not much, as they all died before I was born. I always wanted to have a Grandma... and a grandpa... but never had that in my life. I also never had a brother or a sister, so my parents were everything to me, and they are.
    Aww.. pampering yourself with a fragrant shower or a bath after you are hurt, sad, demotivated I bet the best remedy.
    Wishing you successful writing, Magaly! Inspired one! Hope all is fine there :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your parents have great tales about your grandparents. If found (when I ask) that even the stories they think are meaningless are super interesting to me because they happened so long ago.

      Self-pampering is always yummy!

      Thanks so much, my dearest, and right back at you!

      Delete
  2. I went and read Rommy's blog read her story frag it, now have to go make dinner with tears in my eyes... great story, touching, sweet, and somehow I think anyone with a pet (& soul) can relate... & girl you have more links... guess what I'm doing after dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little tear never ruined a yummy meal... unless the crying is done in the Like Water for Chocolate book. There, tears have all kinds of side effects ;-D

      Rommy has the gift of emotions... I hope she gives us more and more!

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear your resistance is changing into determination and motivation. I am sure it will become more so as the month goes on.
    I am trying to pack up Halloween things and get organized in the putting away. Before we get snow I am also trying to put things away from the yard and change some bad habits too.
    Of course every box I pull out or am working with has to have a furry body investigate it, and not always the cats. They are testing my idea of packaging breakable items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just grinned at the mental image of the of the cats (and other things) going through boxes that are supposed to be packed ;-D

      Delete
  4. I like Francie's Grandmother Tree painting and meditation too. Perfect for this time of the year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. It leaves the mind in a good place; a place of new beginnings that start in old soil...

      Delete
  5. Every now and then, an image or written word challenges my perview about who I am. Francie's "...Grandmother's Prayer" has just done that. I have spent long moments, this morning, sifting trough and sorting out what I think about my Grandmothers - in Bodies and Spirits. My strong belief in reincarnation has me wondering if how many times I am my own ancestor.

    But this I can ponder while I get my hands busy in blades and beads . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm smiling for the lucky people who will get the art that will be those blades and beads... they will be charged with goodness and old magic ;-)

      Delete
  6. Loved this. thanks Magaly. I once (but not for long) had a boyfriend - highly educated - who pompously announced that women had nothing to do with history. Like I said, it didn't last long, but my point is that with the miracle of DNA testing it s possible to find your lost grandmothers - your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother's mother and so on back to 'Eve' the first woman that everyone on earth at this time is descended from. You can see their journeys. It sends shivers down my spine, like finding an amazing treasure that has been buried too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing art that inspire dreams... I've always thought of science as the kind of magic that we can actually explain. And yes, the idea of going back and seeing (liking and embracing) where we come from, is quite freeing, empowering... "treasures," indeed1

      Delete
  7. The Grandmother's Prayer is beautiful! I am going over to Rommy's blog to read! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you've enjoyed both as much as I have. Hugs!!!

      Delete
  8. I am very familiar with that inner laziness you speak of (so proud of you for slapping it away, btw).....today I curled up on the couch and watched 4 episodes of the Walking Dead. Not productive....but felt so good to let myself cozy up under a warm blanket with 2 cats napping by my side eating chocolate drizzled caramel corn :)

    ....if the sun comes out tomorrow ( it was joyously overcast today) I must photograph items to list in the vintage shop. I'm hoping for rain....haha!

    You are so deliciously DARKMAGALY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me that I want to watch Dexter and Law & Order: Criminal Intent... with ice cream!

      November will be a very long month...

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, I read Rommy's post. Between that and your wonderful note about talking to your dad, I spent the day in tears also. It may have also had something to do with the fact that it was my dad's birthday, and I spent the afternoon at my best friend's father's funeral.... But yes, the tears came and were very cathartic. I came away feeling raw, but better, lighter. Thank you, and Rommy both for your wonderful writing and caring. The world is a better place because of people like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the tears were cleansing... Many times, a little crying (or a lot of it) is exactly what we need...

      Delete