Every Now and Again, a Wicked Witchy Writer Requires a Little Hand Job

I love my typing speed. The ability to write hundreds of words in just a bit of time—and smudge free!—is awesome. But… I also adore writing by hand. I miss it. I used to buy journal after journal that would get filled with tales and fun nonsense. Now, I buy one every few years. The last couple I bought remain half-empty. I have shoulder and hip injuries that don’t allow much writing by hand.

But do not fret for me, my Wicked Luvs, I get my hand jobs gratification in others ways *grins* One of my favorite parts of plotting a new story is sketching the setting. I will spend the next few days writing, of course, but at least a couple of hours will be dedicated to drawing. I need to sketch Miss Toledo’s cabin, Mamabuela’s cottage, Vanesa’s house and the Cienfuegos Boarding School.

By the way, while thinking about setting, I realized that I had no idea where Matías lived. I know now. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before. AlmaMia is probably ashamed of my lack of insight.

On to the NaNoWriMo writing bit... My current Wishing upon Earth and Bone word count has reached 8,005. I only wrote about 700 new words, yesterday. I spent most of my time doing research, getting rid of plot holes and drawing general layouts—the latter, mostly in my head. 
I know. This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this entry. But I had no image to share, and I like images with my posts. The day I took this picture, I had just bathed Attila, and he, of course, went and rolled in the dirt. He knew he was in trouble, hence the Don’t-Be-Mad-I’m-Still-Gorgeous-When-I’m-Filthy look. I miss him so much... I wonder if AlmaMia has a dog friend... And if she does, what breed? I wonder, wonder, wonder...

16 comments:

  1. Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to still write by hand, I love my journals. In truth though they have been a little neglected lately and I need to remedy that.

    can't wait to read and see more of AlmaMia's world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam is a longhand powerhouse! I've been paying attention to her writing, and oh my, that lady put some words on paper! So happy you, too, enjoy your journals.

      AlmaMia just nodded her head ;-)

      Delete
  2. Talk about an arresting post title, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo/ Can relate to the story behind it.

    I still do much writing by hand. I believe it makes the thought process better, stick longer, and helps one clear up those plotline difficulties.

    And it can be done anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of plotting by hand. It forces me to slow down and pay attention... and yes, the fact that it can be done anywhere is a huge plus!

      Delete
  4. Oh! You sketch settings, too? :) Do we get to see them? This time, because of the quasi-historical nature of the setting, I'm making a pinterest board for background. Can't describe people undressing, if you don't know what they have on to begin with.

    Attila looks like he was such a sweet baby. What en expressive face he had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sketch, indeed. Isn't it fun? I can't draw all that well, but it works for me. And yes, you'll probably get to suffer my sketches! LOL You know, I'm totally pinterest ignorant... I wonder, wonder, wonder...

      Attila is the best, the very best... I miss my boy.

      Delete
  5. Your title made me smile, big time! LOL! Puppy is so cute! Look at that face ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go me, and the power to make you smile! I bet your words would make Attila grin, too ;-)

      Delete
  6. Attila is beautiful! I have four at the present time, a boxer, a mutt, a pit bull, and a mastiff. They are my babies. Each one of them has their own "don't be mad, I'm so cute" looks and they all work like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a huge family, you have!!! I bet they love her mama to pieces. Now I can imagine us in huge puppy piles ;-D

      Delete
  7. Oh Magaly, your Attila is so gorgeous, filthy or not. I know he misses you every bit as you miss him. I too, miss the writing by hand days, the journals, the notebooks. For me it's the lupus and fibro that keeps me from it most often. And a side note relating to that, you are going to see a bit of advertising on my blog as I am experimenting in ways to make a bit of cash to eventually supplement my income so I can start cutting back some work hours due to health. I'm not really fond of it but I must see what may or may not work in preparation.

    Anyway sweetie, I am thrilled to read that not only will there will be more AlmaMia, but also Wishing Upon Earth and Bone! You are such an inspiration, my wicked love. Hugging you tightly (well not so much that we hurt one another, lol) Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Attila, my sweet Attila has a heart with a very good memory...

      I was talking about you, yesterday... about how strong you are and how you live life fully, even when in pain. One of my friends, who broke his pelvis while in the military, was having one of those My-Life-Truly-Sucks moments. He might lurk around your site, because he emailed to say that he felt a little ashamed to see someone who constantly in pain could be so sweet and he is such a complainer lol (Your words did him good!).

      Advertise away, my love! Let me know if I can help in anything. What are sisters for, right? Hugs!

      Delete
    2. My Magaly, you are truly a goddess. Thank you.

      Delete