Carved Out of Good Manners and Thorns

The title of this post comes from a passage used to describe the royal torturer in Mabel Bunt, a web serial written by Rhissanna and Narrator. After a few chapters of Mabel’s adventures, I find myself wanting to use similar words to describe the remarkable woman.

Mabel Bunt is carved out of good hearts and honorable souls… She doesn’t quite agree with my assessment of her. At least the surface of her mind doesnt: “It wasn’t that she thought she was an honorable woman. One day she’d be bending the ear of a Priest with wide eyes and a doubting expression. She knew that. But she had been paid to offer the man final comfort and she would count herself a thief if she didn’t at least try to earn the coins tucked into her stocking.”

But her actions speak a different truth. One that says honor cant be easily defined: “‘Yer can talk if yer wants to. It don’t matter. It’s the company that the lady said yer’d want. That and a goblet o’wine. But...’ she lifted her head. ‘I’m willin’. I’m bought. There ain’t no reason t’say no, unless yer don’t want me. This is what I do, yer lordship. I ain’t ashamed of what I do. Harlotry is honest work, if done honestly. Some folks just want to sit and natter, an’ I understands that.’”

The story is for adults. There are graphic scenes—sex and violence—and court intrigue runs thick through the veins of the plot. If you liked A Game of Thrones, you might also enjoy Mabel Bunt. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my! Oh MY! Thank you so much for this wonderful review, Magaly. The quote about "Good manners and thorns" comes from Mr N and it did strike me as particularly apposite for the nasty piece of work it describes. Everyone loves a dandified villain! As for Mabel, her character, indeed her origin, is enclosed in the statement, "Harlotry is honest work, if done honestly." How very perceptive of you to focus on that! Shelle's painting is a lovely choice of image to accompany the atmosphere of intrigue, death and desire that we're hoping to infuse into Mabel's story. Thank you for taking the time to do this, especially as I can hear that NaNo deadline rushing towards us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the description for both, Mabel and the Poker. The job of the torturer is unsavory (and straight up evil), but he does it with terrifying finesse.

      Mabel... she is just such a sweet soul, so very earthy and giving. One wants to protect her and break the neck of anyone causing her harm.

      I can't wait to see where she goes next...

      Delete
  2. Love the sound of this story...maybe because many years ago, a man called me a whore for flirting with friends of hubbies...hubby replied "she may be a whore, but she is a loyal one!" I was so proud :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you grinned at the bastard, and perhaps flip him off. I can't stand people who judge without reason or right *shakes fist... and then send hugs to the hubby*

      Delete
  3. I've no words to thank you properly for the review Magaly. It's always a bit like getting into cold water when you write something new. You dip a toe in. You move in slowly. And then you plunge and wonder "What have I gotten myself into". It's only after when you can say, "It was worth the cold for the swim". That's Mabel Bunt. A little story that won't shut up. Collaborative writing has always been a joy for me, and Rhissanna's Mabel is a treat to wrap a story around. I'm pleased she says something to others as well. I hope you don't tire of the words "thank you" because I keep having to say them =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your words. I would never be able to write a tale like Mabel's. You and Rhissanna have a gift for historical fiction, which I know I lack--but that's okay, for I can enjoy your art.

      To the one who told me to "keep paddling," I say, stay in the water until it feels good ;-D

      Delete
  4. I have been reading Mabel Bunt's story and really enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I can't wait for more. That lady has all kinds of spunk... and I'm so worried about her, after reading the last chapter!

      Delete