A Surprise, a Mistake and Moi Paddling Forward

If we are friends on Facebook, you already know that I completed my NaNoWriMo novel on November 26th. I wrote the end of Wishing upon Earth and Bone right after reaching 50,000 words. At the moment, the first novel in AlmaMia Cienfuegos world is twenty-eight (skeletal) chapters long. I have to add descriptions, develop some scenes and smooth out the chapter to chapter transitions. 
Yep, I have quite a bit of work ahead of me; several thousand words worth. I’m very happy with the result of this writing challenge. I didn’t do much editing between writing sessions. I was convinced that the first draft would be a nearly unintelligible mess. I was wrong, and now I’m delighting in the discovery. The storyline is tight, the characters read strong and the ending surprised the living Muse out of me. I’m hoping to have a polished draft by the end of January.

Now, to the mistake… *sigh* I don’t understand why so many people fly around the blogosphere without taking the time to read. Let me elaborate… Do you remember this? “If you are a Wicked Darling (you follow my personal blog, this blog, or both) and you want me to keep an eye on your short writings (and perhaps review them), grab the button… and participate. The latter is usually what gets me to visit (and remember) other people’s blogs and spread the yumminess I find there. Link the button to the original Short Fiction Reviews post.”

Are those instructions very complicated? Ridiculous question, I know. Well, let me tell you… I’ve received enough review requests (from strangers) to help me realize that announcing that I was going to review short fiction was a huge mistake. So… I removed the button. I will not stop reviewing and sharing the yummy works of my Wicked Darling Luvs. I’m just taking away the flashing sign.



This post got a bit too long for the “moi paddling forward” part. Dont worry, I will tell you all about it in my next post. It has to do with the ebook I’m publishing on December 21st; something warm, dark, sweet and exciting for the Winter Solstice, my Wicked Luvs! *butterscotch-coated winks and giggles*

17 comments:

  1. Holy sh....you confuse this duck! I
    I'll wait to figure this outi! I'll go upstairs to my laptop and snatch the button . Yes I follow you ...any where...xoxoDebi


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion. I was probably rambling too much. I meant that I got too many review requests from people who don't really read or follow Pagan Culture or this blog, asking me to review their writing. This is especially annoying because if they had read the simple instructions, they wouldn't be asking. But people do that all the time, and it's infuriating. Blogging should be about conversation--at least at my blog--not about someone running their mouths and others listening in total stasis.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on really having the writing challenge work for you!
    Can't wait to see your post for my challenge tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, precious! I'm exciting about tomorrow, too. I'm especially looking forward to the eating *hehehe*

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your novel and for not needing a ton of rewrites and editing.

    I am sorry about all the nuisance requests you received. Sometimes being nice brings pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      People can be ridiculous. I tell myself that they mean no harm, and they are doing what they can... But every now and then, I rant *sigh*

      Delete
  4. Should I be dancing with a red thorn, in anticipation of the 21st? Congrats on finishing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have the link button up to your other blog, but I'll probably put a link to this as well once I'm situated. At some point, hopefully tomorrow, I'll be putting up the first chapter to some new SteamPunk tale that Rhissanna and I are passing back and forth while I edit Mabel Bunt and we decide how we're proceeding with the "tart with a heart". When it has a bit of substance I'd love to pester you for a review as the last one was all manner of smiles for the both of us. Thanks as always. Keep paddling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your writing and Rhissanna's, so there is not need "to pester." Unless you really want to ;-)

      Delete
  6. Well at least now I know why you were growling :D People should really learn to read before they try to write XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my dear Gina, is a very good advice!

      Delete
  7. HUGE congratulations on the NaNo! You're a star! I'm really delighted you were able to go all the way and get something down. NaNo's advice, just to keep writing, is the best and it must feel so good to have something there in solid text.

    I'll do as you requested and take off the button. I can imagine you were swamped with requests. Writers need readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was... taxing at times, but now it's done. Let see where it goes from here, right?

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!!! You kicked butt with the challenge ;o) I'm sorry, that people can't read!!!!

    ReplyDelete