No One Learns with Someone Else’s Head

It was raining hard, but the water must’ve felt good on the Girl Child’s skin. She was grinning that kind of daring grin that told everyone who knew her that nothing would keep her from doing exactly what she had in mind. At that moment, her mind had decided to climb a wet coconut tree.

“Come back in here, right now!” The Woman yelled. “Don’t make me come get you. If I get rained on, if I… I don’t know, just get in the house.”

The Girl Child grinned wider before turning towards the coconut tree.

“You tell her. She’s going to fall from that tree and crack her head.”

The Crone shook her head. “It is likely. That bark looks slippery. But her head is hard.”

“I can’t believe you, Crone!” The Woman headed for the door.

“Come back here, Woman.” The Crone sighed. “You need to let her learn.”

“Learn?” The Woman was screaming. “She doesn’t need to learn a damn thing. We already know what’s going to happen. She’s going to fall.”

The Crone nodded. “She will probably fall, and cry. You and I know that, but she doesn’t. And no one learns with someone else’s head.”


Those last seven words hold a lot of truth. They apply to so many situations… the workings of Facebook, for instance. Yep, I’ve been playing with the f-word... after so many told me not to.

I wanted to have a Page before the publication of the second edition of AlmaMia Cienfuegos, the release of Blooming Howls, and of Thorn in Red (in ebook format); and maybe something I can’t quite share yet *cough, cough*  In an effort to keep my online bits together (a witchy writer woman can only handle so much cyber-bipolarity without losing it and reaching for the hammer), I went ahead and converted my Profile into a Page. And that was when Chaos began to laugh at me… 

My original wish was to conduct all my Facebook affairs with a Page only, so I didnt plan to create another Profile any time soon (maybe never). Well, that didn’t quite work. Or maybe I just don’t know how to do it (yet). Facebook works in mysterious maddening ways, you know? 

The rest of October is for figuring things out. I want to survive All Hallow’s Grim using the Page alone. If you and I were friends before the conversion, then you will still get my updates. Until I learn how to get yours, go “Say hello to my little Page!” If you say something I can reply. Yep, going from a Profile to a Page looks a lot like going across the veil; only keen eyes can see you. The Page will look a tad naked for a bit. One of the prices for the change is that the transfer doesn’t include information from my old wall. But we’ll get through that. Eventually.


One more thing about the Girl Child in the anecdote…

She didn’t get to understand the meaning of “No one learns with someone else’s head” until she was almost an adult. When she first heard the words, she thought the Crone was letting pain teach a lesson. But that wasn’t it. The message was much more complex than that: the Girl Child, who is now her own Woman, learned that research and advice are great things, but they can’t compete with experience.  

Today, she will still climb the coconut tree in the rain. But she knows enough to get some safety ropes… maybe something soft to place by the trunk, too. Landing on your ass, even from just five feet up, hurts like you won’t believe. Trust me; I know.

edited 11/17 (page is gone)

her coconuts are about to fall out, methinks…

23 comments:

  1. Indeed, we can't learn inside someone else's skull. And well done on branching out to a page. I can't get the hang of it, myself, but I'll endeavour to join yours. Lovely bunch of coconuts there, Miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I'm glaring at it, and telling it that it won't scare me. My bravado doesn't seem to be affecting it in the least LOL

      Delete
  2. If the problems you are having go something like this: 1. I have no search bar. 2. I can't see my friends updates. 3. I can't befriend or like any one or any page. 4. I can't comment on anything. - then welcome to the wonderfully worthless world of Facebook Pages.

    I was forced in to this 2 says ago, when they warned me that my account looked very much like a business page (they were right of course, I don't have a personal Facebook acount). There is a way to fix it, but you HAVE to have a personal account, or use someone else's. You add that personal account as administrator to your page, and through that account you can do anything you want with your page. If you don't want a personal account on Shitbook though, you're screwed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are deathly right, my dear Ms Misantropia! By the way, I can almost here the disdain for the way Facebook handles its pages in your words (I'm not so far away from you). It makes no sense at all. Oh well, I'll let it be for a while, and see what happens, right?

      Delete
  3. Magaly my Darlin!

    I have 3 pages for various reasons and admin on 2 more. In order to be able to do the things you want to do a page *must* be attached to a personal profile. I'll gladly help if you get frustrated, just PM me on FB.

    As for learning with someone else's head... you are spot on...experience is the very best educator there ever was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling my Piano Man that I might be calling on Loki or something because this chaotic madness is kind of energizing. I can't remember the last time I felt this lost. It's exciting, in a terrifying sort of way.

      You have five different things to admin!?! My gods, woman, are you nuts! More power to you. I mean it. I bet you need it.

      Delete
  4. Learning by experience is called "coyote wisdom" by First Nations people because coyote is the trickster. Yes indeed, coyote wisdom is the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coyote is baring her teeth. Facebook won't have a chance... maybe LOL

      Delete
  5. Best of luck with the page conversion. But do keep that hammer handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, dear Narrator! By the way, I don't know if you are acquainted with insane asylum that is the world of Facebook pages, but just so you know I can't initiate contact. So reach out if you need me ;-)

      Delete
  6. In the words of my own Grandmother, borrowed from an old German maxim - "We get too soon old and, too late smart."

    I doubt I'll ever live long enough to not feel like a lab rat in a facebook Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wisdom given by well-observed years is invaluable. And grandmothers are magical...

      I don't think anyone will live long enough to fully understand FB. They are always changing their minds!

      Delete
  7. Let's try putting this in the proper place... *headdesk*

    I tired the page thing for a time and gave it up. It was (for me) an exercise in schizophrenia and a time drain.

    Best of luck figuring it out for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schizophrenia is just the beginning. I don't understand why they make this so complicated. You can't use a nickname, but when your page and your profile have the same name you can't take what's what. The going back and forth bit is insane because sometimes something gets left behind. It's like corporate America. If you are huge, you're fine, for you are usually trying to hide from people anyway because you can't handle them all. But is you are a little guy, then no one can find you.

      It's a mess. I might need a thicker mattress to break this fall LOL

      Delete
  8. I am not sure if anyone has said this, but as a page you can only like other pages and comment on them. You cannot like or comment on personal account pages.

    In fact, I want to convert my pages into account pages for this every reason...but I have not found a way of doing that! Have you?

    Though we may have done something foolish, there is something vital for us there none-the-less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now, there is no way back... The change might have been a bit foolish, indeed lol. I will try to tough it out, and see what happens, if things don't work out... then I'll try something else ;-)

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness for that! I thought I was hallucinating....getting messages from untraceable sources. Will try going through this link...battle on little one :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a royal pain. Seriously.

      Delete
  10. I constantly forget to use my pages. I like having a personal page and then my blog pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here complaining about one! How many do you have?

      Delete
  11. Facebook....arghhhhh. I don't have a Facebook page and refuse to ever step into that dark dark place ! However this has it's pitfalls. as it means I can't reply to a question you asked on FB which I noticed when I went to check said 'page' out. It related to the upcoming Haunted Doll Party and which story we would prefer - definitely definitely the doll behind the mirror. I can feel the dark fiction oozing out of the page before you have even written it *cue creepy haunted music*......!!lol!! Talking of Haunted Dolls, check out this link...http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/mexicos-island-of-the-dolls-is-beyond-creepy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, BookGirl, that is one of the things I dislike about being spread so thin cyber wise. It's nearly impossible to share all the same information everywhere, and when you do, your readers get pissed off because they are getting the information five times.

      Blood-Craving Doll it is then, since you were the only one who asked the question LOL

      Will check out that "beyond creepy" dolls!

      Delete
    2. My goodness! Creepy and then some. The one with the white eyes and the one with all the spots on its face are particularly strange.

      Delete