Sundry Perspectives… and a Crow Looking Over Her Shoulder

I’m supposed to be napping (I take sleeping breaks between writing sessions). But right now, my mind is a block-party full of Wild Ideas singing at the top of their lungs… and dancing. I know better than to fight some of my mind’s whims. So instead of wasting energy trying to quiet her creative shouts, I’ll just write her down until she’s too exhausted to keep me awake.

I’ll try to appease her by sharing a bit of my day with you…

One of my dear friends got upset after a local university decided not to interview him for a job. He is annoyed with me because I was supposed to be interviewed by the same people, but I’m not as mad as he is about the appointment cancellation. I’m okay because although the job was good, it would allow for very little fiction writing.

My friend was getting too worked up for comfort, so I diverted the conversation away from the jobs we would no longer get; at least not any time soon.

“What are you working on,” I said. “Finished the vignettes?” He has been writing a bunch of very short stories set in the New York City Subway.

“I’m waiting on feedback from two more beta readers.”

“That’s awesome,” I told him, pretending he didn’t sound super irritated. “I was rewriting another short story for Blooming Howls when you called.”

“How is that coming along? Did you include ‘A House for Our Holy Crab’?”

“Almost done, but ‘A House for our Holy Crab’ is not part of it. I’m publishing that as a single tale.”

Silence…

“Are you there?” I said. “Did I hang up on you?” I do that a lot.

“Tell me you’re not going to self-publish that story on Kindle.” He exhaled loudly. “Magaly, your stories—”

“Okay, cariño (darling), let’s leave it there. We both know how the other feels about that topic. There is no need for arguments.”

We got off the phone, and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one feeling mildly pissed off. We always annoy each other when we speak about how we treat our arts. I think he’s a word hoarder. He finds my sharing of stories at Pagan Culture maddening.

I don’t mind that he thinks sharing a free story (or three) online is beneath him. It’s his freaking work. He can do with it as he pleases, right? I just wish he would put on his big boy’s tighty whities and offer me the same courtesy when it comes to my publishing choices. That might allow us to have a conversation that doesn’t end on, “Let me walk away before I have to tell you to pull your snooty head out of your butt and wipe the bullshit out of your eyeballs.”      

Hm… my mind is mellowing out already. And it’s way too late for a nap. Guess I will make myself a cup of sweet French vanilla coffee with a bit of Bailey’s Irish Cream, and get back to working on Blooming Howls.

“Witching Hour” by Magic Love Crow
Um… the coffee was too hot,
so I went to visit Stacy while the magic brew cooled off.

24 comments:

  1. Your first part reminded me that I got these incredible insights in the shower and I needed to write them down... as well as looking to investing in a waterproof way of writing in the shower! Thanks.

    As for the situation... it really saddens me why people won't give room for others to find their path, experiment and... this was a huge issue I had with my parents... do something foolish (cause we know foolish is in the eye of the beholder).

    So, I hereby free you to live life on your terms as you wish, good and not so good... especially when it comes to giving to others freely!

    So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mario, you might have to get your sweet self to an Army Surplus Store, and purchase an all whether waterproof notebook with its pen of course. Then you can take epic showers full of words and tales ;-)

      I shall share freely, then!



      Delete
  2. I love that you've published AlmaMia for Kindle. I read both digital & print books, so it's nice to be able to see an author I love on Amazon. ^-^
    I also think that publishing online, whether one is charging money or not, is a wonderful way to get one's work out to many people, without the cost of printing. I still am madly in love with paper books, but I've found myself lately reading more on my Kindle app... mostly because I can make the font bigger, so I can read longer & not get headaches... I think I'm getting old... lolz...

    Regardless, I can't wait for any juicy tidbits, morsels or full course meals you might choose to publish, whether online or in print. I will eagerly gobble them up, then ask for seconds. =D

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that these days writers and readers have choices. I'm pretty sure that I will (probably soon *wink, wink*) publish on paper, too. But when it comes to work I want to test out or bits of fiction I just want to share right away, the digital platforms couldn't be more perfect. You like the fact that you can increase the font, and for me, it's the text to speech bit. After I write for 5-8 hours, my eyes are somewhat tire of staring at a specific spot. I love that I can close my eyes and listen to a story.

      I shall continue to serve. By the way, next month will bring something between an appetizer and a full meal, methinks ;-)

      Delete
  3. Do you like write professionally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write professionally (a lot of ghostwriting, some technical writing, in house critiques, not so exciting pamphlets and such...), but I haven't been writing fiction for that long.

      Delete
  4. Hahahahaha....how we would miss your "way with words" if you didn't share so beautifully.“Let me walk away before I have to tell you to pull your snooty head out of your butt and wipe the bullshit out of your eyeballs.”
    I bet your friend didn't share his sweets when he was younger either. But each to his/her own....sharing is nice <3 XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty good at sharing with other writers, but when it comes to making the work available to those who are only readers he kind of freaks out. I think he means well. He doesn't like when I give away some of my stuff because he believes if devalues "the art."

      I asked the art and she told me that she likes it both ways ;-D

      Delete
    2. "I asked the art and she told me that she likes it both ways" LOVE this.

      Delete
  5. How does it devalue his words if it attracts readers to himself & his other works? BTW, the coffee cools quicker if you put it in the freezer ;) Wonderful crow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure exactly how the concept makes sense in his head, Petoskystone. I believe in giving people a taste of my words. The feedback helps me improve and keeps me inspired. I write some things that are just for me, but those never see the screen. However, when it comes to things I write to share with others, it is more than nice to see if others actually like it. If they don't, I try to figure out why. I can't tell you the amount of times you, Judy, Kim, Ms Misantropia, the lethal Diandra... and many others have helped me making a story better. It's free proofreading/editing/and food for the muse. I see it as a win-win situation. But like Gina said, "each to his/her own..."

      Delete
    2. P.S. The Witch/Piano Man household has a terrible reputation when it comes to cooling stuff in the fridge. We tend to forget about it, which has resulted in explosions that taste of wine and champagne... guess we could add a little coffee to the mix ;-D

      Delete
  6. Hi Magaly! It always fascinates me to read about the creative process of other writers. Sometimes I have to download all the ideas ricocheting around my brain onto paper before I can think of napping or anything else. And let me tell you, teaching does not leave time for fiction or any other kind of writing. Each writer has to do whatever works for her or him! It's pouring again at our place ~ a cup of coffee with Bailey's sounds so good! Happy writing to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times, the creative process is as entertaining as the art itself. I think I enjoy both just as much.

      Don't even get me started about trying to write while teaching. It doesn't only suck all the time we have, but also drains the mind to dangerous levels.

      Hope it stops raining soon!

      Delete
  7. I think you have a very good outlook on life as well as a superb way with words and a visit with Stacy is always a good plan too! blessings, Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy-therapy works every time. Non can visit our crow goddess and leave without a grin on their faces ;-D

      Delete
  8. Keep being you Magaly! I wouldn't want you any other way ;o) I hope your coffee was good ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, dear Stacy, because I have a feeling I can't change all that much ;-D

      Delete
  9. You know, when you call me a Crow Goddess, you make me stand a little taller and smile a little bigger! Thank you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call them like I see them *wink, wink*

      Delete
  10. Always fun times talking to people that have opposite views on things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love debating, when people don't get extra emotional and when they keep themselves from acting like the only worldview that matters (so it must be right) is theirs. Views are just that, and if we were more inclined to appreciate (or even try to make sense) of the ways others think, we would avoid many, many, many headaches.

      Delete
  11. I know what you mean about not being able to sleep when the Muse is screaming ideas. For the past couple months I sleep from about 9pm to 12am, then I'm wide awake and painting feverishly until about 5am. I take an hour long nap and then I'm at it again. I don't think that sharing one's creations devalues the art. I create things and give them away, and so far my work is still selling. I think friend needs to unwind a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Just last night I lay in bed for at least 45 minutes glaring at my mind because it wouldn't stay quiet. Then I just gave up, got up and took some notes. If you can't beat her, write her ;-D

      I was talking to my friend about this post. He asked me, "Am I that bad?" And I answered, "I did quote you, you know?" He said that he's going to try to relax. That his tired of people looking at him like he's walking around "with something stuck in his rear" LOL. That was a huge leap for him, so I'm proud.

      Delete