Sexy Extravagance, Dark Unreasonableness, and Bloody Halloween Fun

She jumped out of her clothes and ran down the street screaming about sexy extravagance, dark unreasonableness and bloody Halloween fun. Actually, that happened at the end… Before the strip-and-run scene took place, my Muse had been watching me bare my teeth at my laptop’s screen.

I had just finished formatting Blooming Howls, a short story collection, and I was not happy with the results. I pretended not to know what was bothering me—denial can be a great defense mechanism—but I have never been any good at the complicated art of lying to myself. So I cursed a bit, whined a lot, complained at random intervals… and then took care of the problem.

This is what was driving me nuts: I had grouped my short stories into several sub-categories, and decided to publish them as separate short collections. Then, in a moment of practical madness, I persuaded myself to publish all the stories together. They are all dark fiction, aren’t they? They should fit together nicely, shouldn’t they? After denial failed, I tried inquisitive repetitiousness… I almost convinced myself.

Almost…

…but the idea of “Darlene” and “Risqué” in the same collection made my writer’s (and reader’s) gut a bit sick. Variety is great in my book—pun intended—but not so much that I would want to pair the story of a girl with a hilariously broken mind with that of a parent with a heart maddened by grief.

Am I making any sense to you? I hope so. I also hope that you aren’t panicking, for you are getting your sexy, dark and bloody fiction fix anyway, my Wicked Luvs. You will get all your tales: the expanded edition of AlmaMia Cienfuegos a couple of weeks into October, Blooming Howls near the end of October, and the ebook version of Thorn in Red before the Winter Solstice.   

Yep, I’ve been writing like a wicked mad woman while getting ready for all sorts of October fun…

All Hallow’s Grim 2013... So Good, So Dark is almost here *cackles and does a little dance* Have you joined the fun, my Wicked Luvs? If not, jump on your broomstick and fly in before October 13th ;-)        

I’ve joined a daunting amount of yummy creepy blog parties *cough, cough* 
No rest for the Sexily Wicked...
Wanna party with me? Of course you do ;-)


Frosted Petunia’s Broomstick on the Bayou

Incipient Wings’ Haunted Humpday

Be a Cryptkeeper at the 2013 Countdown to Halloween 

Party!

28 comments:

  1. Thorn in red as an e-book, Oh Magaly you just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your comment just made mine, so we're even!

      Delete
  2. I am afraid I have in some kind of annoying hustle these days, having no time for writing, for making posts in my Witchcraft and more. Office routine sickens me... and I am not able to get the creative juices back.. where have they gone? enough only for crochet... So I don't think I will enter any of the above parties, and will be a spectator this time.
    have a lovely day, Magaly!
    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then, we need to sit back and just watch and wait until life catches up.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's quite a lot of partying!
    Love it Magaly.
    That's how Halloween should be done!
    I guess I haven't joined as many as I thought:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be spooky madness all month long ;-D

      Delete
  4. So many fabulous parties, I've signed up for too many too but just can't resist this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Every year I tell myself "Just two parties, maybe three." But the time October kisses the calendar, I'm at least in five LOL

      Delete
  5. Everyone's party looks so awesome......I will definitely be keeping in touch!! I loved Alma Mia so an expanded edition sounds delightful!! Can't wait...hurry...hurry!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having so much fun revising the expanded version of AlmaMia. I love seeing the closure of that part of the story and creating lots of mystery for the novel as a whole.

      Delete
  6. I have totally joined too many parties this fall, and there's still Vanessa's (at A Fanciful Twist) party to squeeze in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I keep on checking out A Fanciful Twist and Frosted Petunia to make sure I don't miss any of the yummy fun LOL

      Delete
  7. You are going to be SO busy in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a headless chicken with her feet cutoff!

      Delete
  8. Nothing like an overflowing plate to spur on a mad writer such as yourself. Frenzy is a word that in October just demands attention. So shall we all dance like crazy to the October world. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frenzy, colors, sounds and spicy tastes... October should be dark, sweet and delicious for all of us!

      Delete
  9. OMG....isn't Haunted Humping called "Tupping"?...may have to check that one out CWS :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Haunted Humping" *CWS* indeed!

      Delete
  10. Portents of wonderful wickedness!

    Does your Muse chase you, or you her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Muse and I chase each other, run together, chase other people, sleep together, wake each other up in the middle of the night, laugh loudly at totally inappropriate moments... we are a happy pair ;-D

      Delete
  11. October 13th! Shoot! I better get my paint brushes going!! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I better start writing faster. I swear Time is trying to cheat us out of our October ;-D

      Delete
  12. Oh hols, limited access to internet, friggin keyboard that doesnt work but have brushes and canvas... love your upsude down sun kiss too on other pst, cant fix typos only some keys work, but crap its nice to be on hols, ec 9 soz delete doesnt work either, excr (soz) EXCEPT for the limited network access & this %$#@ keyboard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I heard you yelling at your keyboard just now LOL

      Delete
  13. You always join a ton of blog parties =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Shhhhhhhh* What's wrong with you! Giving away all my weaknesses!! LOL

      Delete
  14. Now that I've cable/internet back up, I need to catch with the Laughing Vixen Lounge (I have two of her charm bracelets, but would love a third :)) Yea, I can see where pairing a story of a girl dancing with her madness & a woman too broken to stand, much less dance, would not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sooo glad someone understands! I was discussing the topic with someone else, and he said, "Dark fiction is dark fiction." I wanted to poke his eye. I mean, that would be like saying that The Shining is just like Dracula. People are insane!

      And those chunky bracelet from the LVL are yummy ;-)

      Delete