In Darkness? Light!

“I envy you sometimes. Is that bad? How many swallows do you have left? I’m almost out. Not bad envy. Just want to look at life with your face sometimes. Show my teeth to it like you did to First Sergeant when Doc was stitching your butt. You were so pissed off. It’s not bad envy… I’m tired of this dark hole…”

“Zero swallows. I changed to coffee ages ago. And I wasn’t baring my teeth at First Sergeant. I was trying not to fart. Have you ever gotten stitches on an ass-cheek? No fun. Okay, I didn’t want to cry in front of First Sergeant—I swear that damn needle was on fire—so I bared my teeth. But I was scared. Do you remember [when] I couldn’t fall asleep without my hammer? I was scared for a long time. I guess that was my black hole…”   

“…a half written note attached, and all those little crystals, that I was gonna braid together with some string, in to a cute bracelet, that you might not even want to wear…”

“…in my book, stones work like intentions, the shape and the way… doesn’t matter much. What counts is what you put behind them. So smile at them do with them what feels right in your heart AND when it feels right.”

“This autumn feels different than the others that came before. The closeness of the air is something I have not felt since I was a kid… There is magic in the air and I am just sitting and watching the signs because I can’t get out there and grab them. Light a candle for me. I’m not afraid… I want to move and dance and play and that is all tangled up with tendrils of real life things that are tripping me up. I will… move through this depression… send me some of your strength to make it through this hopefully short dark tunnel…”

“I just lit a citrus and rosemary candle for you. To give you a little boost… let’s hope that tomorrow’s cooler winds bring some respite. I will…wait for the sun in the morning. I will feed the ground and ask the Great Mother to take away some of your pain.”

“I don’t want to talk.”

“Okay. I’m here when you want to. If you want to, okay? I love you.”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Every now and then Life dresses up in chaos…

I had planned to dress my Autumn Equinox altar in black and red. I had planned to get up early to make corn muffins and coffee; honey on everything. I had planned to write something bright and happy; full of the warm browns and juicy oranges that will soon decorate Mother Nature’s skirt…

Then, as I rearranged my altar, recent exchanges came to mind (some quoted above) … My heart filled with the words of friends in pain… I felt unbalanced and found myself searching for extra ears and extra shoulders and extra hands… So I invited all the Seasons to my altar. Yes, I know we’re supposed to be celebrating the Autumn Equinox. But every now and then life happens wildly… I believe that when things are at their wildest, balance might be achieved if we stand together… even if in silence and thousands of miles from each other.

May the Universe bless us with Balance…

In Darkness? Light! 

40 comments:

  1. First off, between Facebook comments and this post... I have been writing about chaos... about a technique that acts as a spiritual worm hole taking us from one place into chaos thorough a journey back into chaos that lands us someplace else. Some place better than where we were... you know, a little miracle.

    And, in the end it is all about light and dark working together... Welcoming it and embracing its chaotic arms. Life wouldn't work without this prime formula... or without the chaos's embrace in these transitions.

    It is just that we don't want chaos's tentacled embrace to leave suction marks on us!

    Now, go eat that chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what? I added a little bit of chocolate to the honey I put on my toast. No muffin, but the toast and coffee were delish! And the sunrise was bright ;-)

      Delete
  2. The best altar is the one that speaks directly to our hearts and needs at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. And right now my altar is singing to me ;-D

      Delete
  3. It is never wrong to ask for help in any circumstance. And it is especially "strong" to be able to ask for emotional support. The Earth is a "whole", and we are all part of that "whole". Here to help each other out of our own "Dark Holes" <3 XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we all were able to ask for her, and receive or decline the aid without too much fuss from the giver, I think we would be at a better place as a people. And sometimes it's just nice to see that we aren't the only one with a "dark hole" to speak of, methinks...

      Delete
    2. Gina you are so beautifully wise. I'm not the least bit embarrassed to call for help from the Dark Holes when I know I can't do it alone, and your words are a balm in this moment. Blessings Oma Linda

      Delete
    3. She's not just a pretty face, our Gina, is she? ;-D

      Delete
  4. That is one of the better shrine arrangements I've ever seen. I like how they all stand together, like a family of odd balls bracing against a crumbling world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...they all stand together, like a family of odd balls bracing against a crumbling world," indeed. Just like a league of superheroes. They're just missing the tights LOL

      I'm glad you like the sight ;-)

      Delete
    2. I adore that they are standing all together! We get so caught up in doing things the correct way, or in the appropriate style, that we forget that they don't care as long as we care, as long as we remember. Thank you for the lesson on leaning in to the Chaos and seeing its beauty!

      Delete
    3. Indeed, Sharon. Sometimes we are so worried with the notion of doing what is right that we forget to listen to World and to our Hearts. That's never a good thing.

      Delete
  5. I'm baking a cake. http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-happy-cake.html Only I will tint the frosting orange. & work on some felt-ies to show what comes out of darkness, as my words find accurate translation to other sensibilities difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I want cake. I think I'll bake some... and burn the edges a bit ;-D

      Delete
  6. I love that you invited all the elements in at the altar. I am a believer that they tell us what they want...and it feels right because it IS right. Love....enjoy their singing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the singing and doing a little dance ;-) Hope you had an enjoyable Autumn Equinox, too.

      Delete
  7. One of the things that seems to be easy to forget sometimes, is that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to celebrate. The best celebration comes from within our hearts, what seems right at the time and what we need right there, right then. It is the intention that matters - often the more ecclectic something is the more meaningful it turns out to be. I love your Altar with everything in solidarity ! So, in honour of "...life (that) happens wildly" and of the .." balance (that) might be achieved if we stand together… even if in silence and thousands of miles from each other", I shall tonight, many miles away over here in the UK, light a candle on my altar whilst thinking of you ;-) Brightest Blessings my dear :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made me smile in all sorts of ways, dear BookGirl.

      P.S. Can you leave a link to your blog/site (if you have one) with your next comment? I don't see one in your profile, and I, of course, would love to stalk you a bit ;-)

      Delete
  8. I adore the "family of odd balls" altar you set up. It is perfection. Gina's words just hit the spot for my overloaded heart. And you dearest Magaly are the gem in my crown of loving friends, nay, more than friend....family. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always light in my life. And comforting darkness, too ;-)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our connection to everything is made stronger when we offer exactly what we are. There are times when we have to curb our enthusiasm a bit, but most often it is best to just give what is really there.

      "Grand Wazoo" tradition LOL

      Delete
  10. So deeply-Beautiful..such a gorgeous and powerful altar of energy..magic..light and bliss..I love it all! Beautifully written post too..I so enjoyed every minute of it.
    HUgs...Blessings of this magical season to you kindred.. thanks for sharing your sacred space!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the energy keeps you shining bright. I love basking in your glow ;-D

      Delete
  11. Happy Autumn Equinox, Magaly! Sending best wishes and blessings to you too! :)
    Your altar looks great as it is, as it speaks of you. Let things happen, let them be themselves too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll let them happen, and we'll dance!

      Delete
    2. I dance in the morning before going to office..hehe :) Now need to start making decor for Halloween and Autumn time!

      Delete
  12. Oh to have balance in all things...a beautiful thought
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems "balance" is the word of the season. Bring it on, World!

      Delete
  13. It's Spring Equinox in the South and I've always been a rule breaker, so inviting all of the seasons to your altar feels right and fitting and so very touching to me. Like a giant family of mismatched clothing and personalities, gathering together in love, understanding and balance.

    And that's where the true healing and magic happens. Not in comfortable sameness, but in embracing and loving the differences and the balance. Merry Mabon, Mags. Lots of love to you. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And because I'm me, I just picture a bunch of us going to ComicCon dressed as the seasons. I think I want to be Old Man Death ;-D

      Much love to you, too, dear Danni!

      Delete
  14. Looking at your altar made up of so many unique peices made your insight of standing together to achieve balance such a perfect observation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I said it before, but here it goes anyway, it seems that Balance is the word of the season. I hope you all get our serving of it ;-)

      Delete
  15. I think it is lovely and your altar should reflect your life anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it very much. And I think you are right ;-)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful altar my friend. It speaks to your heart! That is very special! Do what you feel ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does speak to me (sometimes it yells a little, too, but that's fine). Big hugs right back at you!

      Delete
  17. "Chaos is the force that drives the Universe; Order gives it shape and form." -Fox (me!)

    I always love reading about what your altar is doing each season... and sometimes monthly. Balance is just as essential as listening to your instincts. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I always love reading about what your altar is doing each season... and sometimes monthly." I had to quote you again... because it seems we share 'likes' lol

      Delete