Burned to the Bone after Kissing the Crystal Sun

Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
“When rivers flooded, when fire fell from the sky, what a fine place the library was, the many rooms, the books. With luck, no one found you. How could they!—when you were off to Tanganyika in ‘98, Cairo in 1812, Florence in 1492!?”

Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel García Márquez
“Her movements were so stealthy that she seemed to be an invisible creature. Frightened by her strange nature, her mother had hung a cowbell around the girl’s wrist so she would not lose track of her in the shadows of the house.”

Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark
“[Home Economics Textbook from 1950]: Prepare yourself. Take fifteen minutes to rest so you’ll look refreshed when hubby comes home from work. Touch up makeup and put a ribbon in your hair. He’s just been with work-weary people. Be a little gay. His boring day needs a lift. Mama Celia: Get knee-walking drunk. You’ve earned it. You’ve been with four kids under the age of seven all day. Put a ribbon in your nose and try to pull it out of your mouth. You’re wasted, after all. Announce you’re gay. The look on his face will give you a lift.”

Wondering why I listed those three books? Wonder no more: their titles made a lasting impression on me. The first is spooky yummy, the second is creepy weird, and the third… well, the third is a freaking hoot!

I love catchy titles that are just the beginning of an even better story. The books above are as delicious as their titles, but the same isn’t true for my Artful Readers Club September entry. Kiss the Crystal Sun by Penelope King has a lovely intriguing title, but the story wasn’t as lovely. You can read my review here.

My artful bit for this month was inspired by the title. I was staring at the book, thinking about the story, trying to figure out what to do, but nothing came to mind at first. Then I thought, If someone kisses the sun, he or she would probably die. So… I grabbed my amber crystal ball, a jar to set it on, a silver skull (frog and book) from my first attempt at making AlmaMia’s charm bracelet, a candle holder, and this is the result:


You didnthink the sun-kiss-of-death stuff made me forget about the winners of the Grammarly giveaway. 
Nope, it did not. 
Say hello to the Wicked Darling winners:

Congratulations, my Wicked Luvs!
Send me your name and email address, and I’ll forward it to Grammarly
Enjoy your free three month subscriptions ;-) 

38 comments:

  1. Your image of Kiss The Sun is breathtakingly beautiful!!!!! Congrats to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might frame it. I love the shine of the crystal ball and the gleaming grin of the skull ;-)

      Delete
    2. That would be a piece worth hanging on the wall :)

      Delete
  2. Love the inspiration and the objects you choose for the photo! Off to read your review (pouting cause I didn't win...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be others, Mario Luv, there will be others ;-)

      Delete
  3. LOVE the amber crystal ball!! It gives the perfect symbolism for Kiss the Sun! And THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too. I liked the idea of the kiss, but kissing a ginormous, super-hot, ball of gasses might not be as pleasant. A little ball, well, maybe ;-D

      Congrats, again!

      Delete
  4. AHHHH!!! *scampers about in a festive frolic* I am excited!!! And I know what I'm doing tomorrow....

    I adore AlmaMia's charm bracelet. The execution, its addition to the artsy photograph, and the original concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "frolic" should be the word starting our days on Saturday. It's just so yummy!

      Congrats!

      Delete
  5. what a beautiful photo!! sorry to hear that the book that inspired it was a bit of a disappointment....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we can get the pretty out of it, right? ;-)

      Delete
  6. love the pic...nice construction
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Sue Ann! That means a lot coming from you ;-)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! *runs around, knocking things over* You know, this was the one I never expected to win! Thank you, thank you! You've made a rabbit very happy! Maybe I'll poke my poor scullery maid further into her exotic adventures? That manuscript has been on the shelf for a year now...

    Hooray! And hooray for Ray, too. Where would we be without him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me giggle! Who doesn't love a happy rabbit? Email me your info at magalyguerrero @ live . com and I'll forward it to the sponsor. Have fun as you "poke [your] poor scullery maid." ;-D

      Congrats!

      And without Ray, we'll have so little wicked fun...

      Delete
  8. Congrats to the winners! And I love your "Kissing the Sun" photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too. Hot, isn't it? Hehehe

      Delete
  9. Inspiring artwork.....doubly so as you weren't keen on the book.I shall avoid it...
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy for the great title. If not, I would have probably had to scratch something on a page (pressing really hard!) for my artwork lol

      Delete
  10. Your artful bit for the month is very intriguing! I'm still just dropping in and out of the bloggisphere sporadically Magaly but I smiled as soon as I saw your creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francie. It's so good to see you here. I've been thinking of you quite a bit, so if your ears ring it's just that I'm thinking extremely loud ;-)

      Delete
    2. So happy, it made you smile!

      Delete
  11. Congrats to the winners! Loved the sparkly tower, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sparkly, tower, isn't it? I like that thought. I like it a lot ;-D

      Delete
  12. I think I enjoyed the 50s book. It sounds like a really great book. One I would love to read. But not Kissing the Sun. It sounds like you didn't care for the second book in the trilogy, either. Your art, on the other hand, is incredible. Not only did I like it, I liked how the skyline showed in the ball. Great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled through "Kiss the Crystal Sun." I might have given up if it hadn't been for ARC. But it inspired something I'm proud of, right? The New York skyline upside down made me smile ;-)

      Delete
  13. There is a real touch of magic about your artistic photograph and the concept behind it. You have captured the starbursts of the sun beautifully. The book may have been lacking in interest, but your artwork more than makes up for that. I love the first three quotations, especially the Home Economics advice, which made me smile. There's nothing like a good title for making me choose a book, but I seem to have chosen a few this year where the book doesn't live up to the title. The publisher's Title Provider Manager has a lot to answer for. Now that 29 Faces is over I shall be able to visit everyone more, so I'm looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jez, the Home Economics quote have me laughing in the middle of the night. I just got a collection of essay by the same writer, I can't wait read it. She's a professional comedian and a complete riot.

      Delete
  14. Ha ha, oh dear me, I'm grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honorablejackal@yahoo.com. And oh well you know my name, heh heh.

      Delete
  15. Congrats to the winners ;o) I love your creation! It's mesmerizing! I keep staring at it! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Look into the shiny! Look into the shiny* LOL

      Delete
  16. Congrats!!! % charming names won the prize! :)
    that sun crystal is TOO attarcive! I can feel myself soaking in that sunlight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a piece of yumminess? I do love it. And yes, it looks like sunlight ;-)

      Delete
  17. The art piece photograph is brilliant. It conveys warmth, light and magic wonderfully well and the little starbursts of light are perfect. You take a good photograph! A pity the book was not as you expected. I was drawn to the '50s housewife advice book you had read think I would like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the little starbursts of light" I must save that to taste after the winger crawls in. Oh, the '50s book is a complete riot. I read it while riding the train and was laughing so hard that people got curious. Someone actually asked--not very common in NYC--and when I shared a few quotes, we all laughed like lunatics ;-D

      Delete
  18. ohh I really like the photo you took, that's a great arrangement of pieces. sorry your book was predictable, I think that is always the most disappointing aspect of any book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like it, too.

      And my goodness are you right about predictability being terrible for stories. It's like going to a movie knowing every single detail... and I'm not talking about a movie one enjoys much *sigh*

      Delete