Sweet Beginnings… Turn Sexy, Dark and Bloody

I’m sure I wrote a post similar to this one, some time back. I can’t remember the title—sad, isn’t it? It had to do with a Children’s Literature class I took a couple of years ago. I submitted “The Dark Place” as one of my assignments, and some of the readers (perhaps the professor, too) nearly suffered a stroke.

There was a lot of talk after the reading… “Children don’t act like that,” some said. “Who would let their child read something that horrible?” I overheard. “That’s a very creepy kid. I like her!” And my favorite, “Please tell me we’ll get to see her and her personality develop into something that keeps jerks up at night.”

I find the human child in “The Dark Place” a bit disturbing, but I doubt that my feelings are founded on the same reasons. Yet, my fascination with creepy kids—I blame (or thank?) The Shining and Ju-On for that—is not the point of this post, so I’ll move on. I just wanted to inform those who follow Thorn in Red, that our sweet and cute tale is slowly turning sexy, dark and bloody. I mean really dark. The other day, I kind of scared myself… And you know what? I liked it ;-)

Now for Some General Updates:
     1. I’m almost caught up, after having lost a bunch of words.
     2. The blog maintenance work is coming together (slowly but) nicely.
     3. I will spend the next few weeks tagging and categorizing. Speaking of categories, what do you think about the five categories I’ve chosen? On Writing, Reading, Stories and Poems, Various Topics, and Witchy Bits; are they descriptive enough, or can you think of better ones?

I’ve also made a new Pagan Culture button. No html code, my Wicked Darlings, just a picture.
Grab it and decorate your sidebar, if you’re into that sort of thing.
If not… well, just enjoy my supreme mastery of Photobucket’s editing tools *cough, creepy grin, cough*
What have you been up to? Have you entered the “Witch Hat Fascinator” giveaway, yet?
If you ask me to do it, at the end of your comment, I’ll give you an extra entry…
my brain doesn’t like even numbers; not today,
so here is some bloglovin’ to make a trio 
you are welcome to follow, if you wish… ;-)

28 comments:

  1. I've been so out of touch lately and I see I've got to catch up on some reading; Thorn in Red sounds like bloody fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the "bloody fun" of Thorn in Red!

      Delete
  2. I would love it if you would give me anther entry for Eliora;s gorgeous fascinator...pleeeeease :D
    And I love that you are still able to frighten yourself, means we are in for even more treats :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all in for a treat. I remember rereading it, over and over, after I read it. And since you asked so nicely, I will... ;-)

      Delete
    2. Go, go, gooooooo, Gina !

      Delete
    3. You should know that she needs no cheering! Get her started, and then we might have to tie her up ;-D

      Delete
  3. Holy damn! I just read the story you referred to. OMG I love it! It gave me the shivers. I'm all excited for the next installment of Thorn in Red now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like "The Dark Place." There is something about both family that kind of digs deep...

      Delete
  4. I loved the creepiness of the way the Weeping Willow described the humans in tree terms. Limbs", "Canopy"... The one that always creeps me out for some reason, though, is "Eating Hole"...it makes me squirm. It is a deliciously dark story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been extra curious about how trees see us...

      Delete
  5. I think all children are creepy, from time to time. Often, in the same way that very old people are creepy. (They are really just "old children")

    You know I will always check-out "Witchy Bits" first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I will even go as far as to say that most human beings are creepy. The trait is more noticeable in children and old folks because are usually more honest.

      Delete
  6. Mmmm, "witchy bits" sounds like it could be a kind of Halloween candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Debra, it does sound like food. Hm, I should probably stick to "Witchy..."

      Delete
  7. What have I been up to? Just getting back into the groove of things, from being away! But, I am so excited, the guys that are doing work around our house, told me about a Witch store not to far away from me! I thought that was so sweet of them! I never knew anything about it! Hopefully will be going there next week! It's called, Hedge Witch ;o)
    Please enter me into the giveaway again ;0)
    Big Hugs ;o)
    (great new button)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you tell those guys that they have all kinds of points in my book for staying informed!

      Hope you had a blast on your time away...

      And you shall be entered again ;-D

      Delete
  8. So glad the Trickster has finally given up and decided to exit your computer. Hopefully he'll go and mess up the files of some banking executive now that he has learned not to mess with Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made me burst into laughter. I can imagine the internet goblins sitting in front of some bank manager, saying, "I'm not with Magaly. Are you ready for some misery?" LOL

      Delete
  9. Lovin' the new badge ~ wonderful job! That little skull in swirls is too cute! Oh and I thought I was the only "odd number nut". *smile*
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the "odd number" nuttiness seems to be quite common. At least, we aren't freakish alone ;-D

      Yay! I'm happy you like my badge--such an official word--I figured it would be nice to have something...

      Delete
  10. Hi, Magaly! I Must admit I am out of blogland these days, as I am visiting my parents, so I am far behind what's happening in here... though missing my friends badly! I hope you are fine and I will try to get back to you and your blog soon! :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're having an amazing time... Heck, I know you're having a great time! I hope to read all about it, soon ;-D

      Delete
  11. Yes please - I would love an extra entry in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you wish, my dear lady ;-D

      Delete
  12. OMG! You are such a productive little witch! I think your categories are perfect and will be reading "Thorn in Red" this week as I have not yet seen it. Just skimming the table of contents is thrilling, and if it scared you a bit...I can't wait. Got your new badge as well, my love. Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like the Thorns, and the Van Dykes, and the new family we'll meet in an installment or two might be your favorites ;-)

      Delete
  13. Ooo I like the new button. I've been updating and changing things on Faerie Barista. I don't mess too much with Moon in a Cup cause it's more of a blank screen to showcase my photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Same here. Words and a few pics are usually what matter here, so I like to keep the header simple ;-)

      Delete