The Thorns Ensnared the Prize

Brownies, Brews and Blades” made me June’s Word Master, over at My First Book. Yay for the Thorns! 

I enter writing contests all the time… Sometimes I win, and in other occasions contest hosts fail to read the greatness of my ways *grin*. Yet, I rarely write about competitions. So why am I telling you about the Word Master Challenge?

Easy. I wanted everyone to notice one of the prizes: “a 10 chapter critique by [Misha] or a query critique.” I needed a few writer friends to see that critique opportunities are out there. An evaluation from a writer who has never read our work is pretty helpful. He or she might be able to notice things our friends and beta readers might miss because they are so used to our words and styles.

I invited many people to participate in the challenge. There were only three friends who I spoke to one-on-one. Kestril, one of the three, went for it (And I’m so happy for that! Wait ‘till you read more of her work)The second friend didn’t have time to complete her scene due to illness and other complications. The third friend procrastinated… and procrastinated… and then got upset because his last minute attempt rendered last-minute-quality work.


Yesterday, he sent me some of his writing, and asked if I could critique it.


I said, “No, I don’t have time.” I also pointed out that there are tons of writers who would love to swap critiques. You see, my Wicked Luvs, I have a bit of a problem with a writer who thinks that storytelling doesn’t take a whole lot of work. As much as our idealistic artistic selves say it (and want to believe it) stories do not write themselves.


I hope many others join the next Word Master Challenge (and submit stories to contests, anthologies…). It is scary to put our writing out there, but if the goal is to become published writers, shouldn’t we practice a bit? It is also possible that having a deadline will inspire the writing muse to do her job: write. Have you been exercising your artistic muscle in public, my Wicked Luvs?
Image used with permission from Debbie Ridpath Ohi at Inkygirl.com

8 comments:

  1. Such fame should ensure the Thorn's, and your place in Literary History! Now, for certain they will reprise their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too hilarious, Eliora *covers face because Thorns are glaring* I mean, yes. The Thorns newly found fame makes them very awesome and historically important *cough, cough*

      Delete
  2. Cool!! Congratulations!! Going to do some reading now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias. Enjoy the reading. I'm going to do some writing and some cleaning...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. "Woo hoo!" sounds very appropriate ;-D

      Delete
  4. Yea! You are just having a most wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a rather balanced week... ;-)

      Delete