Edgar Allan Poe, Mary Shelley, the Borg… and a Bit on Mulengro


I was expecting this week to be physically challenging and then some. I’ve been driving quite a bit, I’m not sleeping on my usual bed, and I spent the last couple of weeks doing a lot of activities my body doesn’t really care for.

But nope, my flesh and bones aren’t throbbing. There is the usual discomfort—my hip aches as it tries to adjust to a new sitting spot, and my shoulder doesn’t like to feel left out so it has been whining, too—but none of the agony that leaves my body stiff and shaking, and my eyeballs glued to the inside of my eyelids.

Some might be thinking, I don’t get it, aren’t you still in pain? Yes, I am, chronic pain is the unwanted gift that keeps on giving.  However, when your doctors and your body show that your medical record could have been coauthored by Edgar Allan Poe, Mary Shelley, and the Borg, a bit of hip and shoulder pain after a lot of activity feels a whole lot like a blessing.

Now, the bit on Mulengro… Have you read Charles de Lint, my Wicked Luvs? If not, you might want to give this gifted Canadian author a try. I fell in love with his style after reading Memory and Dream, then Dream Underfoot, then Mulengro: A Romany Tale… Here is a bit from the latter:

He had tried to explain it to other Gaje [non-Gypsies] with predictable results. They either responded with disbelief, or that certain look that meant they were assimilating it as a curious anthropological quirk—the same way they responded to the customs of Native Americans or African tribesmen, with the superior air of an adult listening to a child describing the fairies that lived at the bottom of the garden. Che chorobia. What vagaries. How odd.

Yet, Janfri realized, the Gaje were not so different themselves. They had only one crime amongst them and that was theft. Theft of goods. Murder, which was the theft of life. Rape, which was the theft of a woman’s privacy and dignity. All they cared about was their possessions. All their laws were devoted to protecting their property. It was as simple and complex as marhime [purity laws] and, from an outsider’s point of view looking in, just as bewildering. Che chorobia, indeed.

Oh, and I LOVE this image from the cover of Memory and Dream, via Fabulous Realms


Share |

22 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better, and your activities help you to fight pain. They do of course!
    The cover image is very much the one I would put on the cover of Master and Margarita, my fav novel. Freedom and flight...
    I haven't read this author, but would like to. Now I have some old supernatural fiction authors on my list, like Lovecraft.
    Take care, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His fantasy is pretty awesome. In the short story collection, there is a tale that is the retelling of "The Little Mermaid." It made me cry. The magic is so wonderful, and possible...

      The pain is not so bad. I'm hoping that it will be down to its usual dull annoyance in a few days ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful..the book not the pain ...but you got that right? The artwork for the cover is my idea of freedom :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, there is a lot of painting in this book. Art that moves, breathes and comes out to chase you. I think you'll like it ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your body is cooperating as best it can. I would hate for you to be in pain from running me an errand! And I know I've asked you this before, and maybe there's a post about it that I've missed..? But what happened to you/ your hip? Did you get shot or fall down something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "errand" didn't take long. It might have taken me forever to mail it, but I got it done a long time ago lol

      I hurt my hip and shoulder while I was in the military.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I remember that answer, though I meant more specifically. But if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine!

      Delete
    3. I'm very mysterious... *mysterious music on the background*

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's not so bad. I'm actually kind of celebrating that is not half-killing me.

      Delete
  5. Pain is relative,yes? Sweet cover art, but something my body isn't fond of doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And I refusing to let it ruin my day ;-D My body loves to get its dance on!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your body is behaving to the extent that is possible :) You already know how I feel about de Lint ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds enjoy great tales, right? I was thinking about the exchange we (the Sirens) had the other day when I picked the quote ;-)

      Delete
  7. Oh dear. I hope you find more relief than you've been getting? Have you tried Bowen therapy? Weekly sessions ratcheted down my pain when I had a sciatica attack a few years ago. You are reading a Cdn writer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Bowen therapy--I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll read on it.

      I like several Canadian writers, as well as many stories set in Canada. Charles de Lint is at the top with my favorites ;-D

      Delete
  8. I found your blog though Francie at "A North End Journal." I'm so glad she sent me your way! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad Francie sent you this way. I just stopped by your blog (will be back when my internet connection is stronger). I delighted in your pictures (and the foods!). I can't wait to sit down and digest some of your travels ;-)

      Delete
  9. I am sorry you deal with so much chronic pain! I wish I could do something for you Magaly! Please take care! This book sounds excellent! I love the image!!!! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I'm hurting a lot, I remind myself that it could be worse--I could have not been feeling anything *scary*

      You should give di Lint a try. I think you'll really love Memory and Dream, the things his words do with paint and the way painting illustrate his words... Oh, Stacy what a feast!

      Delete
  10. I will for sure give Di Lint a try ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know how it goes. I love hearing my friends reaction to a new word-full adventure ;-D

      Delete