Nature Should Be Free, Wild, True to Itself…


          Nature can not be corrected,
stick that is born bent
never straightens its truck
            original en español  
No se puede corregir, a la naturaleza,
palo que nace dobla’o,
jamas su tronco endereza
                     - “El gran varón” by Willie Colón 

I’m human. Seriously. I know it’s hard to believe with me being so awesome (and modest) and all, but I truly am. I proved the point in all its glory the other day (by showing my very human ability to ignore my instincts), when I considered going against my nature in order to please another.

In retrospect, I can easily see why I almost did it and why it would’ve probably been a majestic disaster. So no, the Traitor won’t get an umpteenth second chance from me. I will be polite (it’s the witchy thing to do) but I won’t try to befriend someone who treats other people as if they were unfeeling appliances, meant to be used until they fall apart. Thanks for all the good words, my Wicked Luvs.

Let’s move on to a brighter and greener topic: I’m growing an oak in a cup. Isn’t it precious?
I should probably rewind the tale a bit. Three weeks ago, I noticed a wee sprout that didn’t belong to the pepper plant that lived in the pot I was staring at. I watched it grow for a few days… 
I didn’t know what it was… 
The curiosity was killing me…
 

I held it together until the first two leaves looked strong enough. Once I deduced it would survive the ordeal, I teased the soil around the unknown sprout (making sure not to damage the roots) and dug it out. I ran to my Piano Man, screaming, “It’s an oak! Oh my freaking gods, it’s an oak! ” 
Then I planted it the precious oak in a tall cup, and continued to watch it grow…

But the story of the tiny oak and I began when the former was just a wee acorn. One of those angry storms (that only New York knows how to brew) uprooted an enormous tree at a local park. The fallen soldier refused to hit the dirt alone, so it took a branch from a neighboring oak tree down with him. My Piano Man and I were walking through the woods (after the raging storm was back on her meds), and I picked up the acorn. It sat on my altar for last year’s Autumn Equinox.  
I gave the acorn back to the soil… in the pepper pot. I was not expecting it to sprout. But you know Nature and her wild ways—she won’t be denied, and she loves, loves, loves drama.

An oak doesn’t make the most practical of indoor plants. I wondered if I should bonsai the tree. The idea didn’t feel right. Okay, I started to feel terrible about it. I asked a few friends for their opinions. Some told me to go for it. Others brought up foot binding (a perfectly amazing thing to do, if done by choice, and the oak wasnt talking). My imagination has never cared for being outdone, so I began thinking about what it would be like to cut off my own foot... That did the trick. No bonsai for me. 

I’ll transplant this resilient oak into a planter. Nature should be free, wild, true to itself… and this wee fellow seems to like potted life. After it outgrows the pots and the indoors, I’ll find some outside soil it can call home. Oaks are slow growers, so we’ll have some time to get to know each other before saying adieu. If we are lucky, the outside soil will be just on my backyard *fingers crossed*


***
Now, the winner of the Aging with Attitude: Better Than Dying with Dignity giveaway 
17 names went into my witchy cauldron, one jumped out… 
Okay, I scooped one out, randomly ;-)
Congrats, my Wicked Darling! Send me your mailing info (magalyguerrero @ live . com) 
And guess what? I won something bookish and precious, too. 
After loading this picture, I noticed that the red handmade journal I got from Rue and Hyssop made a cameo appearance. Thank you so much, Rue. I’ll fill each page with some of my best words.  

Share |

52 comments:

  1. That looks like a very lucky oak, to have you taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky to have found each other. He's quite the conversationalist, never interrupts ;-D

      Delete
  2. Oh I know that feeling when some plant sprouts out when you don't expect - I recently, as you know, had self sown flowers in my garden :) I guess that the oak suddenly showing its leaves in your house means renewal and something strong, as the oak tree itself is.I am so happy for you, Magaly!
    My parents grow many plants in their small flat -one citrus tree also outgrew its pot long time a go and reaching the ceiling but my Mum refuses to move it away - it is her child too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your herbs growing everywhere they pleased, and how lovely they look! I love to see gardens with personalities. The pretty rows and planned things look nice, but a cute wild flower growing stubbornly in the middle of totally different plants is just magical.

      I just had a glimpse of your mom's citrus tree, touching the ceiling and she saying, "My child has grown so fast." It's too cute ;-D

      Delete
    2. I removed my bean plants yesterday - making space for next plants to be sown!
      I miss my parents so much..but their passion for gardening made my life in India so much happier as I try to create a garden of my own, remembering all their tips :)

      Delete
    3. I bet you smile a lot every time you do something they taught you. What a wonderful way to keep a connection with your folks ;-)

      Delete
    4. Indeed and I found it out only being far form them :)

      Delete
    5. But you did, and that's a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Wow I don't know what to say :) I feel blessed thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you are feeling blessed, and this baby will sure bring a few laughs to your home. Congrats, again!

      Delete
  4. I love it when nature gives us her blessing....I always associate oak with husband :D I guess Mother Nature gave you her blessing <3 XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not shy, is she? She has been sprouting blessings all over the place. I guess I'll say thanks and start shopping ;-D

      Delete
  5. Hooray for surprise plants...or "volunteers" as Hubby calls them. What a lovely surprise. Hooray for no bonsai oak! It wants to grow how it wants to grow, I'm sure. Enjoy your new conversation partner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "volunteer" plants? I LOVE the concept lol You tell your hubby I said he's a genius ;-)

      We are enjoying our talks, indeed. Right now, I'm telling it about the awesome taste of coffee!

      Delete
  6. He's a beauty!! And, I'm so glad you're staying true to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had good counsel and inspiration and a bunch of help recognizing the way ;-)

      Delete
  7. By the time you are my age the oak with be a young tree, proud and strong, at least 10 - 15 tall! I had the pleasure of watching one grow over 30 years at my parent's farm! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be such a blessing. To see that wee woody babe become and daring tree! Good for me, indeed ;-)

      Delete
  8. Magaly - may you someday sit in the shade of your fledgling Oak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Mote It Be! my dear Eliora ;-D

      Delete
  9. How wonderful that your little acorn survived the storm and sprouted in your planter. It must have soaked up some extra magic and blessings from being on your altar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right! It was on my altar and then in a pot, in the bedroom, so it might have sucked a lot goodness, indeed ;-D

      Delete
  10. What a lovely tale of resilience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a strong little fellow.

      Delete
  11. Perhaps by the time it has grown large enough for acreage, you'll be (more or less) settled near a forest :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad YOU got the Oak and I didn't. That poor little guy would be dead if he had entered my house. They call me Ms. Black Thumb. He's a lucky little Oak!d ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I was thinking all witchy people could grow anything lol

      Delete
  13. Good for you! Regarding both the traitor and the oak. I have had a walnut in a planter for almost 5 years. He is about 1 meter tall now (yes, it's a he). The only thing you need to remember about trees is that they need lots of light, and a cold period each year. Other than that, you'll be grand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been calling this fellow a he, too. He looks like a boy. I have to do a little reading to see how to give him that cool place during the winter time. This is exciting!

      Delete
  14. Best of luck with your gypsy Oak. Like you would a human, give it space, room to sink roots, and what it needs to grow (a cooler period each year) and Gypsy Oak will thrive. Thanks for visiting my blog. Only happy surprises in the plants and people you meet the rest of this year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland, I believe you've named little Gypsy. I always name my plants as soon as they come home, but for some reason this little guy had not whispered his name. Guess he was waiting for you. Gypsy Oak it is ;-)

      Thanks for the good wishes, may they reach you times three!

      Delete
  15. I love your tiny oak! Makes me wish I had more of a green thumb. I can only keep those bamboo plants alive. The ones that barely need attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bamboos are awesome green companions. Full of old wisdom and patience, aren't they? We have three little bamboo sticks, rescue from my little brother's old apartment. They were dying, all yellow and the water smelling funny, now they've been around for over 3 years. They are strong souls.

      Delete
  16. Oh, I love oak trees and I love your wee oak baby! I think it's adorable that you're nurturing little Oakie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he leaves are getting greener with pride lol. He is a pretty boy. In the next couple of weeks, I shall go and get a nice planter. Then I'll transplant him around the dark moon, it feels right ;-)

      Delete
  17. I'm jealous of your indoor oak, though better you than me as I have no ability to grow plants indoors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are even, then, because I've been drooling at the sight of your garden lol

      Delete
  18. I love the kindness that you're giving to that oak!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a sweet little tree. I'm sure I'll get the sweetness times three in the years to come ;-)

      Delete
  19. I'm so glad to hear you aren't giving the traitor another chance. And oh my freaking goddess! An oak tree! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad, too. And yes, dear Gypsy is a gorgeous little boy ;-D

      Delete
  20. Your little oak is quite a blessing and a sign! ;o) I am so happy for you ;o) Very happy you aren't giving this person another chance! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign, indeed! I think he is singing of powerful things to come and root deeply ;-D

      Delete
  21. I've transplanted oaks and watched them grow, but have not put one in a pot yet...will be doing that soon ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! for diversifying. I need to go shopping for a pot... I was going to use one I already have, but there is a certain pine that might get it instead.

      Delete
  22. Somehow you & this oak, are just so right, and both so precious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little Gypsy is a very handsome boy. He has been bragging about his five leaves. Just imagine the things he'll say when he a branch or something ;-D

      Hugs!

      Delete
  23. I think it would be fantastic if you could find an old cauldron at a salvage shop or flea market and pot the oak into that, until you find a home for it... but that's just my overdeveloped sense of drama, I think. Lol. Love what you did there ;)

    -Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of drama is not a bad thing, and it just happened that I haven't transplanted the little oak because I haven't found the perfect planter. I wanted something... grand ;-D

      Delete
  24. He is a gorgeous little sapling Oak...
    It was a recipe for magic from the beginning....plucked from the ground in delight, displayed proudly and with appreciation....nestled into fertile soil by loving hands...

    Mother Nature deemed you worthy of raising one her babies:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mother Nature deemed you worthy of raising one of her babies." I will repeat those words many times. And smile. Just so you know ;-)

      Delete