I Watched Her for Months, Analyzing Her Words, Desires, Faults and Fortes…

…now she’s mine.

Yep, my Wicked Luvs, getting a new critique partner is a lot like dating… with a bit of something that looks a whole lot like stalking thrown into the mix.

I spent the last few months researching potential critique partners. I didn’t make my need widely known, so I was extremely surprised when I started getting, um… requests… from strangers. After the fifth email, I just couldn’t take it anymore. I asked. “Hey, I’m not sure we’ve met face-to-face or have discussed our writings online. What made you ask me about partnering up?”The person told me he found out through my former critique partner.

Still more surprised, I emailed my former critique partner—who abandoned me just to go and do lifesaving HIV/AIDS and Hep C research. I mean, really? What’s the world coming to!—Anyhoo *breathe, witchy writer, breathe* my heartless abandoner was as dumbfounded as I was. Later, after I gave him the names of the people who had contacted me, we figured out that they were members of the same writing forum. My former critique partner posted something about feeling really happy he would get to work with a population in need, but blue about having to put his writing on hold for two years or longer.   

I was sharing my frustration with a non-writer friend. She couldn’t understand why I was being so particular about who to partner up with. If you write, you already know the answer. There are so many things one should consider before starting this kind of writing relationship. Here are just a few I kept in mind during my search:
          - Will this be a 50/50 relationship?
            - Do we enjoy and understand each other’s genres?
            - Are we at similar points in our writing careers?
            - Do our weaknesses and strengths complement each other?  
            - Will this person know, at a spiritual level, that coffee is the “Nectar of the Gods”?

Months into my search, I spotted her! She was “Singing to the Bones,” chanting of “The Witch & The Blackthorn Spirit,” of “Oath-Breakers,” standing still “Between Breath and Bone”… She was leading The Order to the Twilight Star and writing A Book of Worlds. I was gasping with anticipation…

I didn’t approach her right away. I read some more… My patience taught me that I also enjoyed the taste of her nonfiction, what I know about her worldview, her sense of humor, her witchy ways, her love/lust/admiration/hunger/respect for words.

Last night, after discussing horses, old injuries, honest children, relationships, hiking, New York and Washington D.C. ridiculous traffic, storytelling, life… we cyber-shook on it.

Anyone who follows my personal blog have probably seen her around, or read me rave about her writing. If you haven’t had the pleasure, let me introduce you to my friend and new critique partner, Ashtoreth Eldritch.

My dearest Ashtoreth, I’m wishing us luck, productivity, and boundless words ;-)
How do you go about forming this kind of working relationships, my Wicked Luvs?
Ashtoreth’s website
art by Sandara

19 comments:

  1. I loved Ashtoreth's work when you introduced me to her it several weeks ago, and I wait in delighted anticipation to see what this trinity of two authors and coffee will produces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "trinity of two authors and coffee" that sounds like pure magic, my Eliora ;-)

      Delete
  2. I loved what I have read of Ashtoreth's work. Power, viseral, touching my heart....you two will be very good for each other. I am pleased for you both. Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all you've said. Her words touch the soul, and yes, I think we'll make a good team ;-)

      Delete
  3. Even if one doesn't write, its just plain common sense.... then again common sense ain't that common is it? lol...
    With any relationship both have to be on the same page- similarities in what you both read, views- political, etc... they all add or take away from a relationship.. Trust values...Hate to say it maybe a 'contract' should be drawn up between the both of you.. and yes, witnessed by both parties' friend(s).... Bottom line, it is a business deal tho no money may be involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common sense is quite uncommon these days... pity.

      Indeed. Similar worldviews and extra important in this kind of partnership. Things just don't go anywhere if we have to spend half of our time discussing philosophy.

      Delete
  4. YAY!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gracias. I'm doing a happy dance ;-D

      Delete
  5. I think I am turning into a "Wordpire"...I am drooling at the thought of devouring the scrumptious verbals you two will be stirring up and frying for my delight :[) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll serve them extra tasty for you, Gina ;-D

      Delete
  6. I am blushing with gratitude reading all the lovely words here. Thank you, ladies. To have such a wonderfully talented group of beautiful women say these things about my words is truly a gift that I cherish.

    Of course, you realise that I am stalking all of you in return :) Since ...To the Bone, my blog roll has gotten longer (and better) for adding you.

    Here is to a happy year (and more) of wonderful words and blossoming friendships!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeh, I am so happy for the both of you ;o) Congratulations Magaly ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, my sweet Stacy!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on getting a new critique partner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! I'm very excited about it!

      Delete
  9. I am happy for you, Magaly! Wishing you both too success and understanding between each other's visions.
    (having a busy week, so didn't come to see your other posts, and honestly, low on energies, so I'll just read your writing, which I enjoy so much!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got some rest this weekend. I understand busy... I've been writing like a mad person ;-)

      Delete
    2. do mad people actually write something what would be readable enough? :)hehe
      I remember your wild muse though...

      Delete