Herbifolks


First of all, don’t you just love the word “herbifolks”? I do. I swear Gina dreams up the most delicious of terms. The other day, while we discussed creativity gone wild, she said, “Your story of ‘herbifolk’ sounds truly interesting, by the way.” I have been giggling about the word ever since.

Well, as you read in “Lick It to Make It Better” and “A Fistful of Banishment,” Jonquil, Cedrus, Althea, Yvonne and Ash are herbifolks by name only. Biologically, they are normal people with super witchy senses.

I won’t tell you much about what every character can do, for what fun would that be? But I will say that the herbs/flowers/trees after which they were named describe a lot of their traits. Take Jonquil as an example. This stunning flower can be used in spells for love, healing, luck… paralysis. Its petals hum the echoes of Narcissus’ pride, and contain enough “phenanthridine alkaloids and calcium oxalate crystals” to leave you puking your guts out. Yep, I like my flowers like I like my characters: gorgeous and perilous ;-)

I’m having so much fun reworking Of Death and Blooms. It was the first thing I ever wrote. The excerpts I shared, at my writing site, hold their original shape. Okay, so I might have shooed away gazillions of typos, crimes on point of view, Bible-like usage of timelines, bipolar perspectives… and, oh my psychotic gods of the written word! I found a section (or 13) where only a psychic (or a very gifted psychiatrist) might be able to figure out who was saying what.  

Yes, Luvs, my first venture into fiction writing sucked serious dishwater. But when I compare the old to the new, I find myself cackling with elation. And with my throat, too, but mostly with elation *hehehehehe* See? Told you. Elation!

Herbifolks
en español
element-planet
in Magic…
Althea
malvavisco
Water-Venus
Psychic powers, protection, encourages spirits
Ash
fresno
Fire/Sun
Prosperity, protection, health, prophecy, justice
Cedrus (cedar)
cedro
Fire-Sun
Courage, protection, healing, cleansing, bad dreams
Jonquil
narciso
Water-Venus
Love, fertility, luck, healing, sleep, pride, numbness
Yvonne (yew)
tejo
Water-Saturn
Necromancy, visions, hinders spirits, endurance

Sources:
Witchy Wilds and Intuition (If it looks like it could kill, it probably will. If it do not, act suspicious anyway.)
Jonquils...” by Judy

25 comments:

  1. "Herbifolk" is the perfect word for a witchy fiction story. Gina is brilliant, as are you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brilliant indeed. But don't tell her I told you, or she won't stop grinning ;-D

      Delete
  2. Regardless of technical issues, from what I could read, your herbifolk story has got some lovely strong concepts that I cannnot wait to see develop!

    And, let's be honest... if the characters' names are reflective of their abilities, it does rather give it away, doesn't it? *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall challenge that notion, my luv. To day that abilities reflect behavior is a form of character profiling lol. How do you or anyone will know what these people are going to do with their abilities? Just because a person has a gun, a knife, and a metal-tipped whip, it doesn't mean that he is ready to go shooting, slashing and... you get my point.

      Delete
  3. First I had to see the meaning of elation - your posts help me to expand my vocabulary besides other things it does to me...I mean, inspiration for example.
    I liked this post - it was like reading a Harry Potter (can't help it as I am a big fan of this book), and a pretty picture of narcissus strengthened the impression, though I know your characters are wild and strong. Looking forward to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just stumbled upon this "herbifolk" whose name is Yvonne, she paints beautifully! http://www.etsy.com/shop/HarteliefYvonne
      Life offers its ways to us, connecting events and people :)
      (you can remove the link later on :)

      Delete
    2. How cool is that? I started writing Of Death and Blooms to learn the names of herbs in English, and my writing about it is increasing your English vocabulary. Hooray for miracles!

      And I checked out Yvonne's Etsy shop, and yum! Did you see her "Fly"? It's a dream in purple ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hay, one totally unrelated question... if your work was to be translated, would you want the names to remain original (English) or rather be translated into the proper plant names? I don't know how, in "American Gods", they named Low Key Lye Smith, and the name alone would be enough to give away the complete story if not translated properly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't like the names to be translated. First of all, both in real life and in fiction, names hold power and identity. An Yvonne would not act like a Tejo in my mind, heck, they wouldn't even be of the same gender!

      Delete
  5. herbifolks.. what a beautiful term. and witches named after trees with the trees properties.. i love the way your mind works!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? You can almost see the leaves sprouting out of their skin. It would be the perfect term to name Daisy and Violet for Pre-Chaos ;-)

      Delete
  6. Herbifolks is a wonderful word! (I named myself, legally, when I was approx. 2 years out of high school ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And after reading this (and before, for I told you about it) I bet you can tell just how much I love your legal name ;-D

      Delete
  7. Culpeppers herbal is the first medical book I bought...and still love :D...and yes I am grinning my naughty Magaly :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Culpepper's Herbal is fantastic. If the herbs are available, we can avoid many trips to the doctor.

      And I KNEW you'd grin ;-D

      Delete
  8. Herbifolk, very cool!! Gina is brilliant and so are you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she's a start, surely ;-)

      Delete
  9. Looking at the info about plants, and thinking "Hmm, I knew I liked cedar for a reason..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cedar is a wonderful three. So much to offer...

      Delete
  10. "sucked serious dish water" - you are so funny, Magaly! _)

    So you are going back and fixing something that calls out to be fixed? Appears to be happening on a few levels in your life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perceptive, perceptive, perspective ;-)

      30-something springs experiencing life teaches us a thing or two, doesn't it? I appreciate a good lesson (or 13 ;-)

      Delete
  11. Just the word "Herbifolk" invokes purely enchanting visions. They sound like me kind of witchy wonders. You and Gina are both such gifted ladies. I will be reading your "re-worked work", though I am sure you are far too hard on yourself regarding your early work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone ever wonder why I adore you, I'll send them this message lol My early work has a lot of mistakes. I think the story is good, but the mechanics are... well, I will write more about it in a week or so.

      Delete