Back to Unearthing Skulls

After I finished editing the first draft of Dancing on Her Bones (what was supposed to be the first AlmaMia Cienfuegos novel), I felt that the story needed more background. I came up with a few ways to deal with the issue: flashbacks, adding chapters to the beginning, telling part of the novel from the perspective of AlmaMia’s grandmother

I tried the flashback approach and didn’t like it. Most novels need a memory here and there, for fictional characters (real life ones, too)learn about living by taking into account lessons from the past (this concept doesn’t seem to apply to modern government, by the way *grin*). The flashbacks were so vivid that one beta reader told me, “I love AlmaMia’s present, but her past is so enthralling that I wish I could watch her living in it.” I agreed with him, so I went for adding a few chapters to the beginning…

Three chapters later, I was shaking my head. AlmaMia was too young to understand or convey complex feelings. Like most (if not all)of my fiction, Dancing on Her Bones is a dark tale. A child understands fear. Sadly, that is one of the reasons why a number of human monsters have such an easy time abusing children. However, a five-year-old will have a very difficult time explaining why a person, situation, place… is so terrifying. After another false start, I rewrote the first chapters from Mamabuela’s perspective. That almost worked, but it didn’t quite fit…

Eventually, my mind couldn’t take it anymore, and screamed, “Stop patching holes, woman! Just do what you know needs to be done.” My mind had a point. I had been sensing that Dancing on Her Bones was not the beginning of the Cienfuegos’ tale. But I wanted to share their story already! You see, I am NOT the most patient of witchy writers… *sigh* Yet, I love the craft of weaving words into stories so much that I can put my bad habits aside, and do my best to tell a tale like it should be told (say that 13 times fast).

So I went back into the past and began Unearthing Skulls, the first story of what I hope will become the AlmaMia Cienfuegos trilogy. I’ll tell you more, soon…
they look so fragile when they are just beginning to sprout

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more, I'm definitely intrigued. Your writing is magical!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa... whoa... whoa... all this past, future, and present mumbo jumbo! What about breaking the fourth dimension in a novelization? ~Dragon

    *gasp* does this mean... possibly... that there will be more from Soledad's perspective?! ~Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the fourth dimension of novelization?" Dragon, you are beginning to sound like a Santero lol

      I'm not absolutely sure yet, Fox... let's see how it goes ;-)

      Delete
    2. Which context of Santero? I failed the priesthood once already after all, lol ~Dragon


      Well a girl can get her hopes can't she? lol ;-) ~Fox

      Delete
    3. Santería has 21 Divisions, your novelization has at least four dimensions (it sounded less lamed when I thought it lol)

      And when a girl dreams enough, eventually gets gets, my Fox ;-D

      Delete
  3. Ooowwww!*alawys self a "squeeeeeee" of delight* a trilogy!!!!! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when you "squeeeeeee"

      Delete
  4. Gah!...that's supposed to say "allows"..got over excited <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded (read?) good anyway ;-)

      Delete
  5. I think it is extremely difficult to write stories from children's perspective because as grown-ups we forget what it is like getting to know your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living with a child and spending a lot of time with two more makes it easier... and so much fun. Also, I have very vivid memories from my own childhood, and that helps too ;-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sounds exciting - a trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three is a very exciting number, isn't it? Kind of sexy, too ;-D

      Delete
  7. Happy, happy Oma......more to come from a very captivating tale....however it is presented, I know it will keep evolving until it is done. You are a trip girl. I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You trust makes me write faster... and revise harder ;-)

      Hugs!

      Delete
  8. O boy, o boy, o boy! You sure know how to entice. You have no idea how AlmaMia evokes my mothering-spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliora, she has that effect on people. Every now and then, while I write/read her story, I bare my teeth like mama bear...

      Delete
  9. Three is a very good magic number!

    And the title, Unearthing Skulls, is so tantalising. This is going to be a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites, after 13! I've been writing away, and this feels right ;-)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Tell me about it. I'm just happy you aren't charging royalties on your happy dance because I've been doing it a lot ;-)

      Delete