Hacking Pre-Chaos to Pieces

The last few months have been for writing AlmaMia’s novel, for revising and submitting short stories, and for expanding several Pagan Culture posts into longer creative narrative. Then five days or so ago, I started working on Pre-Chaos, a novel that is sprouting out of a webserial.  

Those of you who have been with me for a while might remember that The Haunting, a Webserial of Pre-Chaos was published as a rough first draft: I sat down, wrote it, posted it. It was a fun creative exercise, even if the rewriting process is a lot more complicated than if I had made at least a loose outline. A lot of the first draft is pure caca. But like Kim Harrison put it when discussing brainstorming on paper, “from crap springs the best flowers, right?”

I will add that my unplanned storyline has birthed conflicts, subplots, and characters that were a complete surprise to me. The by-the-seat-of-my-pants approach has also chosen its own subgenre. My plan was to write thrilling urban fantasy, but my characters went ahead and fell in love, and in lust, and into nightmares… Now I have Dark Urban Fantasy Romance with at least three couples wanting to do each other (and not always nicely).

To answer the question of the dear Wicked Darling who asked, “So, how’s Pre-Chaos doing?” I’m currently hacking the city to pieces. I have a witch loving a ciguapa, two uncanny women lusting after each other, and a flesheater hungering for a sweet black-eyed Violet; everybody is thirsting for blood and answers.

If I’m lucky, I might have something sexy, dark and bloody for All Hallow’s Grim 2013. Don’t get too impatient, October is around the corner. In the meantime, here is a little visual taste:     
“…flames shot out of his open hands and engulfed me. 

My skin sizzled loudly over my wails. I was waning fast. My eyes burst under the extreme heat. In seconds, I was skinless, hairless and eyeless.” ~ The Haunting, a Webserial of Pre-Chaos
“The Haunting” by SunshineShelle

21 comments:

  1. Sounds as if your characters are having fun. I am still trying to carve some writing time from my changed and exploded schedule... not writing turns me into a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They (particularly the Crow Girls) are having a blast and often at my expense.

      I hope you find some time for writing soon. I know what it is to leave with all those people and their lives in your head, without been able to let them out. It can get quite messy, indeed.

      Delete
  2. A discovery for me! I liked the idea of a webserial... let's see whether it blooms further. By the way, that caca word we have in Russian too, and say it when we don't want a child to pick up some dirty stuff from the floor. lol
    Have a nice day!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote The Haunting some time ago, the webserial went on for a few months (39,000 words or so). I, too, am hoping that if blooms way further ;-)

      Yay, "caca" through the languages lol

      Delete
  3. Ah, the crow ladies :) Quite the visual...am I too twisted for having 'perfect timing, BBQ season fast approaches' as my first reaction? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ele and Eme said that if you even think about throwing them in BBQ pit they'll peck your eyes out. Lovingly, of course ;-)

      Delete
    2. It was the quote from 'The Haunting' that reminded me of BBQ :) I wouldn't dare think of harming the Ladies E!

      Delete
    3. I was kidding. I knew you were talking of hot Luna on a stick ;-D

      Delete
  4. Oh grief I remember that segment of the story so clearly....can't imagine how you could have added to the trauma of that moment!!! Love it!!!! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I love Urban Fantasy, and looking forward to your revised version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to providing ;-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hooray! Glad you think so ;-)

      Delete
  7. This is so exciting! A new genre -- Dark Urban Fantasy Romance -- sounds exactly like what I want to read.

    In fact, I'll have to go back and reread the webserial to whet my appetite for the reworked, revised, and revamped Pre-Chaos novel.

    You know how to tease in all the right (write) ways, Magaly! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be too disappointed, but I removed it for the rewrite *pout*. Maybe I should publish it again... Hm, what do you think?

      Delete
    2. I'm not disappointed (much). I hoped that it was in my feed cache, but it wasn't, so the universe is helping me learn patience. ;)

      You know, it would be an interesting study to publish them both after the rewrite. I'm sure it would help encourage other 'seat of the pants' writers to sit down for the arduous task of editing and rewriting. That, and I love before and after snap shots of projects, and always watch the 'making of' extras on DVDs, so... just paint a giant G on my forehead, call me a geek, and it will all be good.

      Delete
    3. I swear you and petoskystone have my house bugged (she left a Facebook comment the other day that read like she was looking at me lol). My Monday post has to do a lot with what you are suggesting ;-) I also thought it would be a good idea.

      Delete
  8. You are going to pull me into another one and get me hooked. You lovely, evil witch you!!

    ReplyDelete