Dancing on Her Bones… Soledad’s Side of the Story

I am a very lucky writer. I haven’t had a dedicated critique partner in more than a year (my last one moved back to Asia), but I have an excellent first reader and several keen-eyed beta readers. And in case that wasn’t wondrous enough, I have also been blessed with the best circle of Wicked Darlings any storyteller could wish for.

If you blog about your writing, and happen to share bits of your work in progress every now and again, you’ll have no problem understanding the source of my current bliss. “Wishing upon Earth and Bone,” the latest piece I shared at my personal blog, illustrates the best example of what I mean. I posted 2,000 words or so, and asked my Wicked Darling readers the following questions:
* Explain the meaning of Soledad’s actions, after considering the last five sentences of the story.
* How, if in any way, might the events in the story affect the future of the Cienfuegos’ family?
* I haven’t decided if the final draft of AlmaMia’s novel will be told from the perspective of AlmaMia, 
   Mamabuela, or both. From within whose head would you like to experience the story, and why?
* Are you able to relate to any of the characters? If yes, then tell me who and how?

In less than 3 days, I’ve received more than 25 well-thought-out responses, which not only answer the proposed questions, but go on to provide brilliant suggestions. It is easy to get comments, such as, “Nice!” and “This is a good story!” and “This really sucks!” and so on. But 200-word comments that address complexity of plots, conflicting personalities, motivations… are rare jewels that must be treasured. 

As of right now, I am almost 99.13% sure that Dancing on Her Bones will be told in the limited third person point of view, from the perspectives of AlmaMia and Mamabuela—for I agree with those who have suggested that a balanced novel will need the crone’s wisdom and the lightheartedness of the child.

To those Wicked Darlings who pointed out that Soledad’s side of the story should also see the light, if the tale is to be complete, I say: “You are right! She must get the chance to claim her voice. And believe you me; I’m as anxious as everyone else to see the shape of Soledad Cienfuegos’ words, and the colors of a soul that seems to live in the dark.”
Girl in the Dark,” by Demian Legg

2 comments:

  1. I dislike Soledad intensely, but she definitely needs to be able to claim her own voice. You're right, the tale cannot be complete without Soledad's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soledad is a prickly one to write... and by the looks of it, and difficult one to like, too.

      Delete