…to the Bone Lore


Bone lore is lasting. It exists surrounded by all kinds of uncanny mysteries. I’ve always been intrigued by the place bones occupy in history, in mythology, in magic… Some cultures believed the soul and personality of a person “clung to his [or her] bone” after he or she traveled to the Summerlands. This belief evoked different reactions:
Magical Bones—the wishbone, for instance, loosely resembles “the new moon, and carries us back to the worship of Astarte and Ostara, goddesses of fertility and reproduction.”

Filthy Bonesin the ancient law of the Israelites a person who so much as touched a human bone was un-clean for seven days.”

Sacred Bones—“Jesuits in Paraguay and the English in Virginia accuse the Indians of worshiping the bones of their ancestors,” because the former “treasured [their bones] with scrupulous care.” Some, even with loving care: “a widow in the Andaman Islands will carry on her shoulder the skull of her deceased husband until she remarries.”  

I already shared my reasons for liking bones, I’m all about knowing what lies beneath my skin and gnawing at my own bones. The more I understand myself, the clearer I can see everyone (and everything) else.” Bones keep us from crumbling in a heap of meat. And, of course, you have to admit (or not) that skeletons have the best wicked grin EVER.

But enough about me and my love for bones, this pre-Witches in Fiction 2013… to the Bones post, is just a little reminder of what we are celebrating this year: four years of Pagan Culture, of dark fiction, of friends getting together to discuss all the wicked fun things that make life worth living.

The official fun starts tomorrow, April 1st, with the first post and giveaway. It will continue all the way until April 13th. Links to the shops of the Wicked Darlings sponsoring …to the Bone, have been added to the main party post, the same goes for our 2013 guest blogger. After April 13th, I will add the direct link to the blogs of all those who partied …to the Bone.

So... would you care to share a bit of witchy bone lore? Just to “shake dem skeleton bones!”
“Cat Girl” looked so disenchanted after I cropped her and Ginger out of the picture, that I had to show the whole thing. Tomorrow, you’ll get the chance to enter a giveaway sponsored by the same artist…

Sources:
- The Myths of the New World A Treatise on the Symbolism and Mythology of the Red Race of America by Daniel G. Brington
- The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 3, No. 8 (Jan. - Mar., 1890), pp. 17-22
- Conquista espiritual hecha por los religiosos de sa compañía de Jesús en las provincias del Paraguay, Paraná, Uruguay Y Tape by Antonio Ruis de Montoya 

Share |

20 comments:

  1. I won't be entering this year, but I'm looking forward to everyone's posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too. I'm all excited thinking about the diversity of posts to come ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I didn't know all of that about bones. The only bone information I know comes from a book about the Greek Civil War. It was called Elana, I think. Anyway in whichever part of Greece she came from it was customary for a woman to drink wine from the skull of her mother-in-law. I hope I got that right. It has been a while since I read the book. Anyway, your up coming posts sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea of drinking wine from the skull of their mother-in-laws would make many modern women happy lol How intriguing, I think I'll look for this Elana. I've also read that in the olden days, certain cultures pulverized bones and added it to their wine--a bit too dry for my taste ;-)

      Delete
  3. I think if I drank wine from my mother in law's skull...I would shrivel and die!! Ha
    Love your bones Magaly!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SueAnn, you've made me roar. The imagery is quite strong...

      Delete
    2. Same, my MIL's head is full of toxic poison... best just hit it with a shovel!

      Delete
    3. Maybe they should start selling quality poisons ;-D

      Delete
  4. Happy day before we begin your blogaversary celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a little dance. Happy day before we begin celebrating, indeed!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the education Magaly! Very interesting! I can't wait to see all the posts ;o) Of course I can't wait to see Shelle's art ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting, this bone thing has provided me with all kinds of great reading ;-)

      Delete
  6. 4 years huh? Congrats! I realized just recently I've been blogging over 2 years now. Time just flies.
    I finally figured out something "boney" for your assignment, and I will post it in a couple of days! (My own Whiter and Lighter assignment starts tomorrow, so I can't "clog" my blog right this moment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, congrats on two years.

      I totally understand the not wanting to 'clog' your blog, it is the reason why I won't officially start going into the "Lighter" side until after Witches in Fiction is over ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm still thinking... thinking.... OK now I'm off to post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waiting for Shelle to think...*

      Delete
  8. The Jesuit's have bones themselves, relics of the saints, I guess we all are primitive in our way ;) I almost took a photo of the bones from the fish we ate last night (but then it made me a bit sad, & repulsed)... maybe I'll take one of the ones I bought for our wonderdog Milo instead... now if I can only find out where he buried it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that by the end of this party, many of us will realize that what makes other people seem so strange might be weird indeed, but not less uncanny than the things their own families do. And half the time, we could cackle about it together, and frown sometimes... okay, a lot of times ;-)

      Delete
  9. I love your skeletons and of course, Shelle's Cat Woman! Let the parties begin! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Now that you are here, the circle can go wild ;-)

      Delete