Before and After the Short Story

My fiction writing has been molasses-slow, lately. Life’s tale got complicated, and it refuses to allow much time for adding to my imaginary worlds. But I’ve been working, anyway…
 
I finished “The Skeleton in His Milkshake,” my introduction to Witches in Fiction 2013… to the Bone, and drafted “Wishing Upon Earth and Bone,” a short story for the same event. I also outlined three chapters for AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ novel, which take place while AlmaMia still waddles in the chubby grasp of toddlerhood. I’m kind of excited about the latter because I am having lots of fun with point of view, perspective, and characterization.

And the fact that I was forced to take a break from writing every day gave me a chance to look at the story from a bit of distance. I was fixed on starting AlmaMia’s novel right around where the short story begins, but the novel (methinks) feels more complete when it covers some of the important events that took place years before the short story.

on Reading – I read and reread a few tales since my last post. Here is a list:
     - A Celtic Witch by Debora Geary
     - Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett
     - Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
     - Endurance: A Novel of Terror by Jack Kilborn
     - Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich
     - Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson
     - Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
     - Stardust Miracle by Edie Ramer
     - The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling
     - Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
     - Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire 
Chinese Green Feng Shui Pebble, for “lush growth and the rebirth of springtime…”
Maybe if I stare at it for a long, long, long time, it will also add a few hours to my days.
Or perhaps, I just have a thing for pretty green rocks. Happy Spring Equinox ;-)

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is good to take a short break, recharge our batteries, and start anew. Sounds like you got a fresh start. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every writer's dream (mine times 3) is to be able to let a story sit for a long while before reading it with fresh eyes. But those damn bills... lol

      I got a fresh start indeed. Hugging you, right back ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've never read any Terry Pratchett books. You've mentioned him before so I'm curious now. Which of his books would you suggest that I start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woman, I'm a Terry Pratchett addict, and suggest you start with all of them! Damn, that won't work, so let's see... I think you might enjoy The Tiffany Aching's Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany_Aching), which is YA. I know you'll fall in love with his Witches books, too. Then you'll be another addict ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have read most of the books on your list, and they are all excellent!

    I looove Terry Pratchett!

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry Pratchett is a writer to loved a lot, enjoyed often, and reread always. His story always put me in a comfortable place.

      Delete
  4. Happy Spring Equinox to you Wicked Girl! I've been sleeping with Terry Pratchett!!! Now if only I actually finger those pages open rather than look at the book cover I think (methinks) I would go to sleep with a (bigger) smile on my face ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are sleeping with him, I'm sure that even if you are just fingering the pages, he is whispering sweets SOMETHINGS in your ear. He is that kind of writing man ;-)

      Delete
  5. What did you think of the Casual Vacancy? 'Skeleton in his milkshake' brings the image to mind of one of those 50 cent Halloween skeleton dancing in someones' McDs. milkshake as they go through the drive through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Casual Vacancy is painfully real; worth rereading. The end nearly broke my heart. Fine, most of the book nearly broke my heart, I'm glad J.K. Rowling wrote it the way she did. Now, if only more people paid attention to it...

      I started reading it just before my little brother left us, so you understand that it was extra difficult. I will reread it and write a detail review (probably in several parts). Hm... I've been thinking of a book club kind of discussion. How would you feel about that?

      I won't say a word about "The Skeleton in His milkshake," but I'm giggling ;-)

      Delete
  6. Life events can sometimes throw a wrench into your normal routine, especially grief. I look forward to reading your upcoming stories/posts “The Skeleton in His Milkshake” and “Wishing Upon Earth and Bone". I'm so glad you are back to writing. I think you will find that your art will help with your healing process. I know my artwork is helping mine! Spring Blessings Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm calling it therapy with words in it ;-)

      Delete
  7. I too have started my Project for your Bogversary...not telling though :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a bad, bad, bad woman!

      Delete
  8. I see I have some reading to do...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Spring Equinox! ;o) You read and I will paint ;o) I will try to read a little inbetween ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as long as your "read and paint," I'll smile, rejoice in your art, and write tales for you "to read a little inbetween" ;-)

      Delete