The Leaf and Limb and Root and Tree… the Woods Remember


“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one. The singers of the forest [faerie-like creatures] had no books. No ink, no parchment, no written language. Instead they had trees, they went into the wood, into the leaf and limb and root, and the trees remembered. All their songs and spells, their histories and prayers, everything they knew about this world.” — Jojen (Little Grandfather) Green in A Dance with Dragons

Last week, I whispered through the lips of a weirwood, feasted with crows, jousted with dwarfs, ran with direwolves, killed a man, saved a giant, sold my sword, was a dragon, and then flew on its back… I read A Song of Ice and Fire; lived one thousand and thirteen lives.  

There is a freedom in reading that can’t be matched by anything else. Some might say, what about experience? Living would always best. True, but how does the blind see the warm peach and hot orange of the sunrise? How does the footless girl wiggle her toes in wet grass? How does a 21st century Witch dances with dragons? Exactly; through words, visualization, and fearless whimsical thinking…

Of course, there is also that bit about asking every old wise tree for stories ;-)

We can also live adventures like those found in The Grimm Diaries Prequels. I know three Wicked Darlings who have won the pleasure to do just that:
            - Mina
            - Shannon Curran
            - Eliora
Congratulations, Wicked Darling ones! Please send me the email address where you would like your ebooks to go. I will forward the information to the the author, Cameron Jace, as soon as you do. Just so you know, reviews are one of the best ways to help indie authors, so if you have time do share your views on The Grimm Diaries Prequels 1-6 after you read them. Congrats, again ;-)
Doesn’t she look like she has endless stories to tell? 
via DaVinci Institute 


Share |

33 comments:

  1. Thousands times right! reading is one of the best ways for forgetting your problems, and living some other life at least for a couple of days, or weeks..it enriches our imagination..makes us think of the things others than our own world.
    Congrats to the winners! Happy for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than opening a page, jumping into it, and exploring worlds through someone else's mind. Many times, we might even find solutions to those problems we left behind. The mind can do wonderful things when allowed the freedom of imagination ;-)

      Delete
  2. Reading...a fabulous vacation...an exhilarating escape...fun times!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A vacation from life as we know it while still living. Indeed!

      Delete
  3. Whoo Hoo! ! Thank You!

    Reading is so fundamental to my creativity and spirit. I would be an empty soul without it.

    XOXO
    *Eliora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope the prequels bring all kinds of giggles to your muse ;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh sweet. If it wasn't going to be me, I'm happy it's Mina! :) I'm going to have to go bug that guy for review copies then. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a giving soul lol. I can't wait to read your review. I'm pretty sure the author would send you a copy. I mean, why not?

      Delete
  5. Congrats to the winners, and Magaly, beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G.R.R. Martin is quite the inspirational fellow ;-)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to the winners :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, congratulations to the wicked winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked, indeed; each and every one of them ;-)

      Delete
  8. "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one." What a fabulous quote and so very true! Great post & congratulations to the winners :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And these days that is even more true. The possibilities are endless...

      Delete
  9. Oh Magaly!!! Thank you so much. I cannot wait to read these delicious morsels of wickedness. Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the danced that accompanied that "Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw!" and joined in ;-)

      Delete
  10. I love to fall into a book and experience wonderful things, sometimes frightful sometimes lovely but always memorable.

    Love the image!

    Congratulations to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen King and I had some serious moments when I was young, so yes, I get the frightful but fun ones, too ;-)

      Delete
  11. Oooow ....I could listen to the trees whisper all day and night...that's why I plant them wherever I go :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have enough trees. Some to climb, some to play with, some to eat, some to lie under, some to whisper secrets to... I just closed my eyes and grinned smiled ;-)

      Delete
  12. Congrats to the lucky winners ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they'll enjoy their reading as much as I enjoyed it ;-)

      Delete
  13. I love, love, love to read! Books magically transport you to other worlds/realms. They are treasures, for sure :) Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "treasures," indeed. And of the awesome kind that get more and more valuable with time ;-)

      Delete
  14. I love reading and have gone back into reading books. I found out that night time is best for me. So I read before bed. My girls love to read to and always have a book in there hands. Yes the tree face has endless stories. I would love to have a big picture of this photo on my wall. As you know its on my face book profile. ;) I would love to write a story using the tree face as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should check out the DaVinci Institute's website and see if there is some history on the image. Now I'm curious, too ;-)

      Delete
    2. I will thanks hon. :)

      Delete
  15. Oh man I love that first quote :swoon:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jojen exists somewhere between profundity and impending doom. I really like his green seer ways. And his sister? Well, she rocks. Sometimes she spears, too ;-)

      Delete
  16. I thought it was a breathtaking picture even before I noticed her face......lovely!

    Cameron's a good name, eh?! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is naturally lovely. Almost as breathtaking as the sound of the right 'Cameron' ;-)

      Delete