Oh My Buddha


The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, and she is so hilarious that you can’t help but fall in love with her charming wit and tough girl façade. I picked up this book because, well… I’m enchanted by retold fairytales, particularly when the description implies potential for mild ass-kicking. Tilly Lowe has spunk... and she works in mysterious quirky ways.

I nearly died laughing when she first said, “Oh my Buddha!” But humor is not all the meat of this bookish treat. Sariah Wilson has a talent for mixing important topics—family dynamics, teenage insecurity, love, loss—with the ones that kept me roaring. And *sigh* I had a bit of a hard time choosing what quotes to share with you. Yep, I liked that many. Here are a few of my favorites:

“He looked a little like a cross between a zombie and an Abercrombie model.”

“Math and I broke up two years ago, and now whenever we get together it’s just weird and awkward for both of us.”

“I was constantly amazed at the depths of my own shallowness.”

“…despite having mastered the art of speaking at the age of two, I had apparently forgotten everything I knew.”

“I don’t know what good it does me to be one-quarter Japanese. I didn’t get any of the good traits. I suck at math. I’m uncoordinated so there’s no way I could ever be a ninja, and I think Harajuku fashion is weird. On the flip side though, I am a very bad driver.”

What makes the last quote funny (and sad at the same time) is not the obvious torrent of stereotypical caca, but the reason behind the words. I would tell you all about it, but spoilers are nasty little things.

Doesn’t he make you want to dance?  
“Oh my Buddha!”


Share |

24 comments:

  1. Another on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tilly is lovely. I think she'll make you laugh quite a bit, and some of the secondary characters will make you want to strangle them, too ;-)

      Delete
  2. So when I text it, would it be OMB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Buddha! And I have a feeling that you can use 'OMB' as the initials for other words, too lol

      As long as you don't spell it aloud. That drives me nuts!

      Delete
  3. Sounds hilarious, but the premise reminds me of something I read long ago. Is it a republication?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This uncanny Cinderella tale was published last year. I've read others from the point of view of the Ugly Stepsister, but none have been like this one. If you remember the title, and it happens to be in English or Spanish, do point it out. I would love to check it out ;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh my Buddha! I do say 'oh my god' even though I don't believe in that god with a capital G. it's god with a lower case g, generic god, the concept of god perhaps. but I guess the concept would properly have a capitol G. anything with more than one syllable though just doesn't quite have the same punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Sin!
      Oh my Bast!
      Oh my Nut!

      Thanks to the vastness of human creativity and the availability of monosyllabic god-names, you’ll never run out of choices, Ellen luv ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hey that sounds great, Magaly. Checking the library today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it on Kindle; not sure it it's at the library, but if it isn't, you can always request it *wink, wink* It was a hoot ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hahaha...me and Math have a similar relationship :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Math seems to relate to people in the most curious of ways ;-) We've always been friend. My first crush *cough, cough* was about 40-something years old (I was 9, maybe 10) but he was a brilliant teacher and I wanted to marry him, and spend the rest of our lives doing math homework together lol

      Delete
  7. This sounds perfect, will definitely read it. It reminds me of a children's book some time ago, where the Big Bad Wolf sues the Three Little PIgs, and there is a trial, it's hilarious. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I'm going to search for the title. The idea sounds delicious. It makes me wonder what would happen if Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner went to court!

      Delete
  8. I would love to read oh so many books! Thanks for giving us a "food for mind". :)
    Sorry, I missed commenting on your previous posts, but I read them. Just didn't have enough wit to write anything.
    But I'm back with new strength, after a nice weekend :)
    Sending sunshine your side!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your strength is palpable even through the screen. I feel the same way about books, I wish I could read everything ;-)

      Delete
  9. Oh too funny! I'm off to learn more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost sure you will love this one if you pick it up ;-)

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing my book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Tilly with us. She has a lovely soul ;-)

      Delete
  11. I actually AM 1/4 Japanese....haha! Made me snort tea ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So... about that road trip... lol

      Delete
  12. I love the faerie tale retellings =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. I'm pretty sure I've read 5 or 6... in the last 3 weeks ;-)

      Delete