Fleshing Things Out

on Writing  –  Many times a short flashback tells a tale as exciting as the story in which it appears. I first shared AlmaMia Cienfuegos with a writing group; the readers seemed more interested in AlmaMia’s memories than in the present action… and so was I. But my protagonist’s past was so strange that I figured I should put the reader on solid ground before asking them to fly into the uncanny world of the Cienfuegos family. I’m deciding to trust my instincts and the imagination of readers. So, I’m currently working on fleshing out AlmaMia’s memories.

dark Mangoes In Ghosts, Girls and a Grandma…, Gina review of “AlmaMia Cienfuegos” and shared two wonderful pieces inspired by the short story. Visit Daydream Believer and delight in Gina’s artistic expressions.  

on Reading  – I’ve done a lot of reading/listening since last week’s update. That is one of the reasons why I love text-to-speech and audiobooks; packing to move out, driving fourteen hours from Illinois to New York, and unpacking after moving in… well, lots of story devouring time. Yum. I started with Junot Diaz’s This Is How to Lose Her, and here is the rest: 
     - A Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
     - Circus of the Dead by Seth Blackburn
     - Death Loves Me Not by Marian Tee
     - End: An Apocalyptic Anthologyby S.M. Reine
     - In the Dead: Volume 1 by Jesse Petersen
     - Shambling with the Stars by Jesse Petersen
     - Stiletto Safari by Kate Metz

Off to write… after a few more minutes enjoying my words through Gina’s eyes ;-)
“Dark Mangoes” by Gina Morley
“Mamabuela Cienfuegos” by Gina Morley

8 comments:

  1. So what's the female equivalent of a "Bromance" ?...and we need a word for "lover of stories untold"...wrap your witchy brain round that lot little sister :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, I will think about this one. I believe it is time to make up a word ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good progress or better a journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as soon as I get a few minutes, I will try to write a bit more. Even if just a little. I think it will help these days.

      Delete
  4. Wow, all this plus the move! I'm impressed! Send some of your wonderful energy my way... mornings only please LOL I'm having a heck of a time with insomnia lately and it's gotten EXTREME. I might have to go see my Doc; this is nuts! How's the unpacking coming? I can't wait to see those pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished moving in. No unpacking yet, due to well... you know. But soon.

      Delete
  5. Femance Miss Wicked & Gina, fully blown LOL!!! Always trust instincts, much better than a form guide, but then I'm not a professional (nor a successful) gambler... and so happy you have thrown yourself into devouring a pile of words Miss Magaly, I think this is good sustenance xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Always trust instincts, much better than a form guide..." this will be my mantra for a while ;-)

      Delete