A Fat Candle for Old Man Winter…


…tri-scented fire for the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone, and a cleansing brew for all of us.

I usually welcome The Return of the Lights with a candle-making ritual, plus extensive home and body cleansing. I haven’t been in the mood to make candles or to clean the house from top to bottom; not lately. So this year, I’m opting for simplicity, laziness and mayhap and bit of self-indulgence.

First, I rearranged my altar, for that always sends me to a happy place. Then I took a generous amount of clover and rose hip, which I got from Robin (thanks sooo much!), added the last of my own homegrown rosemary, citronella and a pinch of lavender, and brewed a yummy infusion to cleanse my witchy self.
- 13 cups of rain water
- 1 cup of rose hip/clover mix
- 3 teaspoons of rosemary
- 1/3 cup of citronella
- 1 teaspoon of lavender
* Pour the rainwater into a stainless steel pot (a heat resistant glass pot would work purrrfect ;-)
* Set the flame to high, and when the water begins to boiling, add the herbs
* Stir counterclockwise 28 times
* Cover and let steep for 13 minutes
* Strain into a clean container (it will be really hot)

With my cleansing brew in hand, I headed to the bathroom and took a hot shower to get rid of mundane grime. Then—still in the shower—I dipped my hands in the brew and ran my fingers through my hair; dipped my hands again and rubbed my palms over my face, making small circles that and enjoying the scent. After that, I poured the brew over my body, from the neck down. I closed my eyes, and let the infusion run down my limbs, and visualized the cleansing of all the ugly. I imagined it going down the drain.

I got out of the shower, rubbed lavender oil over my entire body—except my face, which is already oily enough all by itself. Once I was all oiled up and smelling delicious, I slipped into my latest favorite nightshirt (Thanks Oma Linda, you are a bringer of laugher, comfort and good old love ;-), lit the candles on my altar—a fat one for Old Man Winter (his end is near, poor thing), a lemon-scented one for the Maiden, a peach-scented one for the Mother, and sage and citrus yumminess for the Crone.

After that, I lay in bed and listened to Love in Nutshell by Janet Evanovich. As I watched the candles burn and enjoyed a story by one of my favorite authors, I thought, Spring is not quite here yet, but the sun is shining. Life is good for a witchy fiery woman ;-) What have you been up to, my Wicked Luvs?
 my altar
 the steaming brew
 my new “believers in whimsical fuckery” nightshirt and Lucky Lindo, shyly giggling at some private joke ;-)
Oma Linda, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new t-shirt and my new froggy friend!

Now, jump back on your cyber-broom, my Wicked Darlings,
and see what everybody else is doing for The Bewitching Home Blog Party: The Winter Redux 
Then continue touring, and see what the lovelies from Creative Every Day have created for this Feb of Light ;-)

 And while you are in a party mood, wouldnt you like to join Witches in Fiction 2013... to the Bone,
Pagan Cultures 4th anniversary party?

Share |

59 comments:

  1. I cannot *heart* this enough. ::smiles::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can, go ahead, tell me how much your love it ;-)

      Delete
  2. I feel the love! Me...been recovering and enjoying movies and plenty of liquids! Waiting for spring/summer...with baited breath!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continue feeling better. I might have to follow your lead in the movie watching bit. I've been working too hard these days. All work and no play doesn't keep the Witch too gay ;-)

      Delete
  3. Came by way of the Bewitching Party and OMGoodness so much to explore. I am sticking around and checking out more. Especially another party!
    Hugs and Sparkles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to our eclectic circle. I hope you like it here and make lots of lovely connections. My Wicked Darlings are the best, just read and see ;-)

      Delete
  4. Blessed Imbolc! I am trying to convience myself to get off this couch and on some candlemaking!Just a bit more coffee and here i go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a supporter of another cuppa. Speaking of which... I need my second cup!

      Delete
  5. Lovely smile, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that frog is quite the cutie ;-)

      Delete
  6. Yes, I like the way you talk about your characters. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, huh? Now I know what Lucky Lindo is giggling about ;-)

      Delete
  7. Drinking tea, and am utterly envious of your sleep shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still wearing it. I swear it is the coolest shirt, ever. Hm, now I'm debating between French vanilla coffee and pomegranate tea... decisions, decisions, decisions...

      Delete
  8. That saucy nightshirt makes me laugh! "Whimsical fuckery" is such a terrific phrase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oma Linda has very creative taste, doesn't she? You won't believe how hard I laughed when I saw this shirt ;-)

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy you enjoyed my little care package. :) There's more herbs where that came from, so when you run out I can probably send more.

    I love your cleansing ritual. Blessings & love darlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it a LOT! The scent still lingers in the bathroom. And I set the tea leaves to dry to add them to my next fire ;-)

      Delete
  10. so very glad you are enjoying the night shirt....whimsical fuckery has been a phrase used in our family for years....and since you are my family too, it naturally followed that you should partake. And Lindo just jumped off the shelf and into my basket croaking "Magaly will love me" and I'm glad you see he has a definite quirky joke he's just barely containing. Love your share of your brew magic. As we head on into the springness I'll send you mid winter blessings, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw the pair, I knew we belonged to each other. I shall show off my whimsical fuckery with pride ;-)

      Delete
  11. I came to you from the Bewitching Home Party and i just love your descriptions. I swear I could smell the brew and all different candles! lovely post!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES smell delicious. That rose hip is extra strong and the citronella was extra happy. My bathroom still smells yummy ;-)

      Delete
  12. LOVE that night shirt :) Now I want to go make candles, it has been way too long since I have done that. I am going to be super busy after all the inspiring parties I am visiting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it perfect? I grin every time I look at it ;-) It even put me in the mood to make candles. I might make a recycled batch this evening!

      Delete
  13. Super shirt, fanciful froggy! Great brewing, too! Blessings of Imbolc to you, Magaly!! Hugs from Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Super shirt," indeed. I will probably wear it until is threadbare. It is just too perfect ;-)

      Delete
  14. I love that shirt!
    You know the fire starters we talked about a while ago? I made them for The Bewitching Home blog party. Check out my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire starters? Yay! I'm off to take a look-see. What better way to welcome The Return of The Lights than fire?

      Delete
  15. Hehe - why am I not surprised by your naughty nightshirt? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughtiness coming from me should never surprise anyone ;-D

      Delete
  16. Beautiful ritual. :) Cool Frog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, I love Lucky Lindo's big black eyes and shy grin ;-)

      Delete
  17. Oh, wonderful shirt, and I love the fat candle for old man winter. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She needs to rest in peace soon, lol. I'm ready to see the Young God prancing around and blowing kisses to the Maiden ;-)

      Delete
  18. Mmm... the cleansing brew sounds delightful - and the nightshirt is awesome! Happy Return of the Light to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just smelling the leaves (I'm drying them to add to my fire later) they smell good enough to eat ;-)

      Light and Blessings right back at you!

      Delete
  19. I absolutely love how you immerse yourself in something, even if it's "lazy" (says you), it's a commitment of mind, body, and soul. At least that's how it appears from this side and I love that about you. What card that sweet Oma Linda is too ~ absolutely priceless!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I guess I should be lazy more often, then ;-) Okay, maybe it is necessary. We need to give ourselves time to get to a place where only we matter. We are that important, aren't we? And Oma Linda is awesome!

      Delete
  20. Your cleansing brew sounds divine! Love your t-shirt and the frog is a cutie. Blessed Imbolc Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually have dehydrated strawberries (greenery attached) instead of rose hip and clover, but I have to admit that Robin's present made this brew way better than my usual; divine indeed! Lucky Lindo, the frog, says "He he."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the shirt, and the brew sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite fond of both of them ;-)

      Delete
  23. That is so, well, witchy!! I haven't listened to Love in a Nutshell. Her other books send me into hysterical laughter though. Lula, Grandma Mazur and lucky girl RANGER and MORELLI. Heart heart for those boys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love in a Nutshell is sweet and it tastes like gourmet beer. And I know exactly how you feel about the Plum books and Stephanie's men, I'm right there with you. I'm saving Notorious Nineteen, the latest Plum novel, to read it as a treat to myself ;-)

      Delete
  24. What a gorgeously simple ceremony, must have been so relaxing. :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. And it was needed. It left me feeling renewed ;-)

      Delete
  25. I love Oma Linda's gift! She is so precious! I love your ceremony! You look so happy ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a thing for giving people what they need and exactly when they need them. I'm happy to know I'm one of her people ;-)

      Delete
  26. So many wonderful enticing scents in this post... I may need to get myself a peach candle for summer! Thanks for participating in the Bewitching Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach is great all year long. The taste, the scent, and the peacefulness that it leaves behind ;-)

      Delete
  27. that brew sounded wonderful... and the way you used it afterwards, feels cozy :) candle lights and fragrances - an ideal evening! i'm up to lifting up my mood these days, as I feel low (those granny squares is one of the therapies;))
    have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a scent-rich evening. And I'm thinking about having a scent-rich night, tonight. I will burn the leaves and a bunch of other goodies later today ;-)

      Delete
    2. oh okay..wishing you a great scent-rich night ;)

      Delete
  28. Love your altar ~ very creative post ~ and blog!

    Carol of: A Creative Harbor ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I just came back from your cyber home and I am still smiling at the colors and words ;-)

      Delete
  29. I enjoyed everything about this post. You have an awesome smile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. Glad you liked everything ;-)

      Delete
  30. Fuckery! Just typing the word makes me feel naughty ;p

    I bet that brew smelled incredible...what a wonderful ritual to infuse the house with aromatic magic and yourself with renewal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something wicked whimsical about fuckery. It feels good in the mouth and it makes the chest rumble in such a warm way, doesn't it?

      And yes, my brew smelled like paradise. I'm thinking about making another bath, too ;-)

      Delete