Seriously… I’m Kidding

I don’t watch much television, so I don’t feel too bad about saying that I’ve never watched the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Yet, I’ve always liked the woman. Not in a oh-my-gods-Ellen’s-so-freaking-hot-and-I-want-a-piece-of-her kind of way, with me not being a lesbian and all, but… okay, no one really cares about that, huh? I’m just saying that there is something about the woman, which makes her approachable, relatable and very sweet.

To the audiobook…

I found the writing light and eclectic; funny at times, real at times, just real enough at times, and of its time… most of times. I love the way Ellen talks about herself. Like in the title, seriously but kidding. She discusses everything from childrearing, lotions and flip-flops to mammograms, colonoscopies and being happy with the soul that lives under one’s skin.

Yes, the structure of the very short memoir is that wild. But I didn’t mind it in the least. I listened to Ellen while cleaning my house. During a chapter on meditation, I found myself closing my eyes and getting into a yoga pose while wearing heavy duty rubber gloves. That’s what Seriously… I’m Kidding is like: ridiculously lighthearted with funny—and sometimes insightful—bits of everyday life.
Visit the 2013 Eclectic Reader Challenge to read more reviews on diverse topics and titles. And join us, if you like. I’m not kidding… seriously ;-)

14 comments:

  1. I've never watched her talk show either but I loved her guest appearances on a few shows I watch, she has a delightful sense of humor. This sounds like it would be a great listen for a day when I just need a little pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would make a great "pick me up" read indeed. It reminded me that all people have little and big problems, that our significant others aren't particularly perfect but we adore them anyway, and the most important thing: that being different is a good thing ;-)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen her tv show, but I always loved her as a comedian. I agree that she has a very approachable manner.. very likable. This is a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about her smile and her ability to laugh with body and soul. I just love it. I'm tempted to watch some of her show and everything ;-)

      Delete
  3. Well if the book is anything like the way she is on tv, then its got to be rip roaring funny.. she's a pretty intelligent woman w/ a sweet heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some really funny bits, and others kind of silly, but I was okay with them, too. I really like her serious roars and her occasional six-year-old humor ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was a delicious little read ;-)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a great light memoir. Congrats on reading your first Eclectic Reader Challenge title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quick and sweet start... revving the eclectic reading engines ;-)

      Delete
  6. i've never watched her show either, but have seen pieces of it here and there. i've always liked her...she seems light hearted...easy...there's just something about her that makes ya' smile. and doesn't she wear crazy socks? i think i remember that about her for some reason. yeah, i'm a crazy sock lover too. hmmmm. anyway...i listen to audio books a lot...do a lot of driving...and when i'm home doing chores. i'll add it to my library holds! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the crazy socks, and now that I do I love her even more. I'm a Witch, so you know I LOVE socks--particularly crazy ones ;-)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a fun book. I don't watch her show but like you, I also like her. I'll pick this book up when I come across it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was short and fun. One of those books I like reading when I just need a bit of a laugh and light thinking ;-)

      Delete