Out of the Woods… Eventually

If you are one of those who enjoy the blessing (or curse)of being my friend on Facebook, you probably got a glimpse of my AlmaMia/Alondra conundrum. Don’t worry if you haven’t, for I’ll tell you anyway: I’ve been uncomfortable about the idea of two main characters, in two different works, whose first names start with the same letter.

I considered changing one of the names, but that didn’t feel right. After letting things sit for a while, I think I found the root of the problem: I’m pretty sure AlmaMia and Alondra are the same person (and my goodness, I need to stop using so many colons!).

In her short story, AlmaMia is a 9-year-old wild child who lives in the Dominican Republic. Alondra, on the other hand, is in her late 20s and resides somewhere in the United States. Their stories happen about a decade apart. I’m guessing that AlmaMia had a very interesting decade (which I need to explore) and without that information I didn’t recognized my own character. Does that make any sense to you?

So… I’m going to spend the next few weeks working hard on the full length tale of AlmaMia the child, while keeping in mind that eventually she’ll become Alondra. No, AlmaMia won’t change her name (that I know of), she will just have the Alondra personality when she grows up into a woman.

Weird, but it makes sense at the moment… Now, I’m off to continue working on the events that take place in between ;-)

16 comments:

  1. This final image abounds with penis's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to spend a day or two in your head. I have the feeling that I will find tons of familiar landscape ;-)

      Delete
  2. Totally makes sense to me. I had a feeling you might come to this conclusion. I need an AlmaMia fix!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw it, but let me see the answer by myself--as a smart mama should (and knows to do). You rock!

      Delete
  3. Knew you would find your way eventually...will make a wonderful collection of books :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a happy dance at the phrase "collection of books." I've spent the last, um... many hours jotting bits about the in between books. It's a bit scary, but totally fun ;-)

      Delete
  4. Have fun ;o) I know everything will be amazing ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a blast. And when things get tricky (and difficult to write) I'll remember your words ;-)

      Delete
  5. It's so funny how characters can do their own little thing at times, and leave the writer trying to figure out what's going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and it is also one of the things that makes writing so much fun. At least for me ;-)

      Delete
  6. i can say i agree with everything that's already been said here...
    whew, that was easy!

    your characters are always so alive...let them do their thing and see where it all goes! have a fun ride! =)

    (me...i use WAY too many exclamation marks AND periods! damn, there i go again!! and again...)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your writing reads like you: bright, cheerful and full of your own spice. I LOVE it.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait until the whole wicked collection is available for me to get my hands on...hurry up and write it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm writing with all my heart, mind and fingertips ;-)

      Delete