On Reviews… Again


“When we consider a book, we mustn’t ask ourselves what it says but what it means…”
— Umberto Eco
…at least not when we are reading for fun (and by “we” I mean me). When I read for school or for work, I must assume my hawkeyed persona and not just consider what a piece of writing says, but how it says it and why anyone might care about anything it says.
                                                
I review books—and I’m using the word review rather lightly—for fun. I dive into tales headfirst, not caring to point out typos, or inconsistencies that exist without ruining my reading experience, or sentences that could have been written in a more effective way… I enjoy a good story. Then I share anything that touched me, and which I think you might find interesting.

So… if you are a reader (or an author) coming to Pagan Culture expecting to find (or to get) book reviews that include anything other than the feelings a particular story evokes in my witchy heart, well… it is very likely that you won’t find many of those.

For highly technical and specifics-rich book reviews, you can try: Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf (mega-detailed witchy reviewer extraordinaire), Blog of Erised (the blog from where I shamelessly stole Eco’s quote...and the spot with the best Friday Freebies EVER!), Lilac Wolf and Stuff (whose reviews sweetly bully me into reading more than I should), Janicu’s Book Blog (my first stop for fantasy and science fiction)… there are many others, but these are the ones I visit over and over and over again.

In case you are wondering, this post is my lazy mass response to a few authors who contacted me to ask if I would like to write a “professional review” of their work. I’m always tempted to reply, “Would you like to pay my professional reading rate?” But I figured this would be more efficient. Now I can reply to their emails with a link to this post. Just the link. That should freak them out. *Cackles thinking about it*
She looks so comfy... and perhaps a bit cold ;-) 
via 

Share |

22 comments:

  1. I don't review so much as give an opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reviews are totally entertaining and it matters not whether one has read the book, intends to read the book or wrote the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made my day, Francie. I write so that my words can be enjoyed, and maybe be used as a bridge between my blog friends and the books I love. But what matters in the end is to start conversations about common topics ;-)

      Delete
  3. Nice...:D Your definitely geting the hang of smug slapdowns :D
    Loved the orange peel candle fire bomb..and that pic is just how we all imagine you look when reading lol :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can add Smug Slapdown Queen in the Making to my resume ;-)

      "orange peel candle fire bomb" lol

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, thanks for the shout out. :) Oh man, "professional" is such a loaded term. *shakes head*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loaded and then some. It's good to see you around here ;-)

      Delete
  5. I wonder how much getting paid a professional amount would be. If you'd be paid by the hour you spent reading or a set rate...

    Yes, this is just how my brain works, for some weird reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Sarita. Maybe you should try to figure out, and then let me know. That way, I can send them the link and an invoice lol

      Delete
  6. She does look cold....or perhaps it's just a really, really good book....haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love your brain, I didn't even think about the possibility of the book being the one perking up her... imagination ;-)

      Delete
  7. You made me smile...yes they should pay you if they want you to read and post.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! for smiles ;-) I would never take money to review things at Pagan Culture, but it sure it would be fun to look at strangers' faces when I give them that response lol

      Delete
  8. It does seem a bit of a cheek if they're not going to pay! After all, we're all surrounded by people who'd be happy to read our growing manuscript and massage our ego, too. for free! That's what friends and family are for, right?

    So, do you want to read my novel? *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bit about they asking for a review doesn't bother me at all. I'm always willing to post about a book I really like and think entertaining. What pisses me off is their nerve of suggesting that what I write about my readings is not good enough for them, which is okay too, you know? But if that's the case, then don't ask me. You don't come to my house saying that you are tired and want a to sit, but that my chairs are nasty and I need to clean them before you bless by putting your behind on one of them, right? People are just silly.

      And, hm... you novel, huh? Is there blood and guts in it? lol

      Delete
  9. Yes, they should pay you, you are right! Your post is right to the point! Excellent ;o) She doesn't look cold to me, she looks like she is going to fall sleep! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure that they don't have to like what I post, but that doesn't give them the right of stopping by and tell me how to run my blog--people!

      And yes, she does look like she's about to pass out lol

      Delete
  10. That's how I review movies, too.:) Less of the technical mumbo jumbo, and more "how this movie effects me" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both review practices have their place, at my cyber-home I embrace feelings. At work, we can bang people's heads until it explodes with the technicalities, right? ;-)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing my blog! I like what you said, that I "sweetly bully" you into reading more. lol My one and only goal is to share my love of reading and to use my blog as an outlet to talk about the books I've enjoyed. There are very few that hit me the wrong way. And if it does, I try to avoid reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our reasons for reading are very similar (unless I'm reading for work or school, those times I can get stuck with something I might not particularly enjoy) and I don't mind your gentle bullying ;-)

      Delete