Do Not Hasten to Bid Me Adieu


Every year, I revisit a few of my favorite books. I enjoy getting reacquainted with old fictional friends and discovering new treasures within the pages of their lives. My latest adventure took me to the familiar depths of Love in Vein: Twenty Original Tales of Vampiric Erotica edited by Poppy Z. Brite.

Norman Partridge’s “Do Not Hasten to Bid Me Adieu,” a deliciously dark tale set in an alternate post-Dracula Texas, presents some pretty intense imagery. I wanted to share my favorite passage in the short story, which is the first in the anthology. These are the thoughts going through Quincey’s mind as he watches his beloved Lucy: “But the churning Atlantic had rocked a sailing ship, and that had moved her. And a bucking wagon jostled over the rutted roads of Texas, and that had moved her. And now her poor head, her poor severed head with all that dark beautiful hair, was trapped between her own sweet legs, nestled between her own tender thighs, just as his head had been.” pg. 13

Freaky visual, isn’t it? I’ve read all the tales several times in the last few years, and some of them (“Geraldine” by Ian McDowell is a good example) still make me shiver… and not in a good way, my Luvs. Here is part of the anthology’s blurb. Every bit of it is true; gut-chilling truth:
“The classic horror tale is about fear. But now there is a controversial new literature of the macabre that goes deeper than horror, beyond fear, to explore our darkest, most intimate hungers. The ones even lovers are forbidden to share.

[…] a shameless celebration of unspeakable intimacies. It is not for everyone.”
 Holy fanged bras, Batman! Is that Lion-Os vampire cousin?

Share |

21 comments:

  1. something new for me... sounds intriguing, I was about to ask you to advice me some good dark fiction read, and here it is!:)thanks!
    Blessings your side!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read this one one story at the time. Some of the tales are just scary... others are disturbing, disgusting, and sad, but they are all superb writing. It was where I first read Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, Apples." Here is the full text (in case you haven't read it). It's one of my favorite stories: http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/stories/snow-glass-apples/

      Oh, and here is another old time favorite. Full text online, too: http://www.utdallas.edu/~aargyros/the_decapitated_chicken.htm

      Delete
    2. The Gaiman story is wonderful, but sad. My favorite books are the ones I am willing to haul around from place to place as I move.

      Delete
    3. You are right, PetoskyStone, it's very sad indeed. And creepy, too.

      Delete
    4. started reading Gaiman... it's going to be a sad story...with some creepy ending. love it so far!

      Delete
    5. Sad indeed. I'm always hoping that he would write a sequel to the short story, just to see if things get better. If he doesn't, I might have to write my own... just for me ;-)

      Delete
    6. i read this story in the office today, hope no one saw my concentrated and shocked look... still under impression, but i liked it. indeed, the story requires some kind of sequel... let's all of us write them, and see whos dark fantasy is the darkest:)

      Delete
    7. It seems Neil doesn't mind respectfully written fanfiction too much, so maybe we can write a sequel to "Snow, Glass, Apples" after all ;-)

      Here is the post by Neil Gaiman on fanfiction: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2002/04/in-relation-to-current-burning-topic.asp

      Delete
    8. We can think of this project:) Rest, I wish I had that great writing skills in English as being able to find words for any kind of story. well, never late to start trying new things :)will check out the link. thanks!

      Delete
    9. I remember, when I first got to the United States and knew no English at all, a person who was supposed to be my school counselor told me that I would never be able to a reporter (something I wanted to do then) because I would never be able to speak English well enough. When I got my scholarship, for my writing, I emailed him. It was a bit petty, perhaps, but it felt right. So yes, I understand that we all have to start somewhere, and that once we do then we can get anywhere ;-)

      Delete
  2. A tale celebrating such dark fantasies!! I don't know if I am up to is? Ha!
    Love the art work.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is always a difficult one to recommend. It's... different, grabs you by the gut and shakes you from the inside out. Not everybody cares for this kind of stuff, and even if one does... it is still a difficult read to stomach.

      Delete
  3. ooh gaaawd, gotta get me that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! Then tell me all about it. There is also a Love in vein II. Totally delicious... and just as freaky ;-)

      Delete
    2. And this is one of those times when 'freaky' embraces all its meanings... sometimes, all at once.

      Delete
  4. OMG. I read this book ages ago. What a flash from the past. Love Poppy Z Brite and some of the stories that were added to this collection still stick with me in terms of the imagery. I may have to revisit it. As an editor and writer she definitely doesn't shy away from the graphic, visceral stuff that makes you squirm, does she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is a lot in this world which Poppy Z. Brite would shy from. For that I'm grateful. Someone should always be able to look ugly in the face, teeth bared ;-)

      Delete
  5. Pssssssssst! Magaly, you won my raffle! Email your address, k?
    art.by.eala@gmail.com

    Also, the old song "Red River Valley" is now stuck in my head as a direct result of your post's title! :)

    Love Poppy Z Brite. Very ...fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I will email you in a bit. How exciting. Thanks a bunch.

      And I've been listening to "Red River Valley" for three days, so you'll get no sympathy here lol

      Delete
  6. *fingers in ears* la-la-la, I'm not listening. Trying to put stuff in my TBR list, lady? ;) Intriguing...going to have to dig deeper later. Currently entangled in Gone Girl. It kept popping up and my library had it, it said "psst, you know you have time, read me!" You know, how library books will do. Now I can't put it down...except to catch up on some favorite blogs. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even try, for I've done that and it doesn't work lol I've been sooo bad lately; reading a book a day *sigh* and adding more and more to my TBR list. Bad, bad, bad Magaly ;-)

      Delete