Blood in a Writer’s Bones

The last two months have been insane. I have no stable writing schedule to speak of. Not just because of my recent move from New York to Illinois, but also because I had to let AlmaMia’s short story steep for a while. Jacob goes back to school on Monday, and I get back to writing fiction full time. In an effort to get my writer’s juices flowing, I reread Kimberly Parr Roberts’ review on Amazon. Here is most of it:
[…] In Magaly Guerrero’s AlmaMia Cienfuegos, we are introduced to the Cienfuegos family, under whose fractured veneer of civility and familial bonds lies a seething, roiling mass of conflict, abuse, jealousy, rage, and denial. At the center of the maelstrom is nine year old AlmaMia and a talisman bracelet. Made of silver and handed down through the family, the frog, the skull, and the book-shaped infuser filled with rosemary serve as a protection amulet for little AlmaMia.
           
Most cautionary tales provide the motivation for the characters’ behavior. Ms. Guerrero, however, wisely leaves motivation to the imagination of her reader. Having read AlmaMia three times now, I still surmise, I still speculate as to the driving forces that compel Mamabuela, Vanesa, Soledad, and AlmaMia to act and react as they do. Tantalizing hints fall effortlessly into the prose and I so look forward to the next tale.
           
Keep a sprig of rosemary near to hand when reading the story. Slip it into your pillowcase at night. In folklore, rosemary is powerful protection. Bear in mind, though, that rosemary not only protects, it remembers. And so does AlmaMia.

This analysis of AlmaMia’s tale got my fingers tingling… my mind has been burning with the voices of the Cienfuegos world for a while. I’m eager to revise, edit and rewrite… And Kim’s words are not the only ones in my head as I polish the tale. There are also whispers from those who are “not ready for [AlmaMia] to be a teenager,” the ones who told me that I should “be mindful of my pacing,” and at the very top are the voices of the ones who “want more.” 

I’m feeding on your words; letting them be the blood that fuels my writer’s bones. And I have some rosemary in my pillowcase...   


14 comments:

  1. what an honest and amazing review!! wow...great! u deserve every word! =)

    and i love this post's title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazingly honest and deep, isn't it? It is the reason why it gets my writing juices flowing. One has to be dead not to want to write like an insane happy person after reading something like this ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a thrilling review. I have such a wallop load of pride in not only your writing itself of AlmaMia but also in the fact that there are those in the world that got it...and then spoke of it in such a way. And I only thought the sun was shining this morning....silly me. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reviews do something wonderful for writers--for any artist, I will say. I was feeling pretty crappy last week (a little sick) but after reading a few things people said about AlmaMia and a story I sent to a competition, I was full of cheer.

      Knowing you are proud makes me smile ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic review Magaly!!! You deserve every word of it ;o) Big Hugs ;o) I have to get some rosemary ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find your rosemary. And that it smells as wonderful as the sage you sent me ;-)

      Delete
  4. Love it when you share like this...can positively smell your creative juices bubbling, seasoned with a little Rosemary :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful when someone reads that lines and what's in between? And then goes beyond that to point out things about your work, which you didn't even know were there? I'm all spiced up ;-)

      Delete
  5. I really can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, 'cause I've been writing more... okay, not as fast as I might wish, but I'm quite satisfy with the results ;-)

      Delete
  6. Wow! This review is fantastic and inspiring! I'm going to get some Rosemary too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim has a way with words, doesn't she? So... it inspire you, huh? Enough to want to write a bit? Witches in Fiction is coming soon... April *wink, wink*

      Delete
    2. I walked right into that one! LOL!!!

      Delete
    3. Indeed, friend of mine. But hey, that's great. You have tons of time ;-D

      Delete