Twisting Love Circles for the Winter Solstice


This morning, the Baby Sun shone Old Man Winter to death and the Apocalypse didn’t get invited to the slaying party. How do you like them oranges? Apples? What apples? We don’t need no stinking apples!
Aside from pre-apocalyptical eyebrow-raising, my mind and I have been rejoicing in the glory of life’s circles. So to celebrate the Winter Solstice, I grabbed a branch from the yard and twisted its limbs into somewhat circular shapes. I didn’t want perfect circles—for those wouldn’t reflect reality. I wanted a Yule tree that showed all the bumps we can encounter as we turn and turn with the Wheel of the Year.
When I finished the tree, I showed it to Jacob, and asked, “Do you know why the circles?”

He nodded, and said, “Us. We are trying again.”

“Yes,” I said, running a fingertip over the bark. “I twisted them because we’ve ran into many bumps. Now that we are familiar with the dangerous bits, we know what to do to stay safe.”

My guy grinned. And since that day, he has been making circular woody gifts for his Witch:

Plant hangers for our front room…
A tree for my kitchen (yes, my freaking kitchen, so back off!) um, sorry, 
I get a bit territorial when it comes to my concocting space…
He also made a 13-link chain…
Which hangs over my altar…
Placed our old wedding bands in a circle of thorns, hovering over the 13 links…
Made a sassy snake for Wicked (look at her face, you know she loves it) I love the tongue ;-)
But I should tell you more about our Yule tree. The champagne bottle where it sits—a gift we shared with friends before leaving Chicago—is filled with pine needles I got from Jacob. Here is the rest:
- I made the daisy/snowflake/star from an orange peel
- Jacob gathered the seedpods from our yard
- The perfect angel is the daughter of a friend (can you believe the shine in that smile?)
- The holey stone and the donkey came from Oma Linda
- Oak, holly, lavender, and an honesty seed moon from Gina
- One of a kind Tequila Sunrise Dymondwood ornament from Stacy
- My first pentacle
- All the leaves were gifts from Jacob and Nature
 
 
 
 
 Happy Winter Solstice, my Wicked Luvs, may the Baby Sun shine on us all year long!

Share |

20 comments:

  1. So much brightness! Hoping the sun shines & the stars sing for you & Jacob (& myself ;) this year :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the Baby Sun was trying to make a point (at least in Illinois) after all the apocalypse comments. Seriously he was extra blinding this morning. I helped him with a bit of my own shine ;-)

      Sing and shine on!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're having such a good solstice! I love your altar, and it sounds like your guy is pampering you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a blast pampering each other. We have the most ridiculous schedule: we work until we pass out, wake up whenever (or when the puppies need feeding), and life is lovely. I'm loving my altar, too ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tree. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I love everything about it, too. Particularly the fact that Jacob and I collected everything together and then decked out the tree together, too. It was fun ;-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, so beautiful! Happy Winter Solstice ;o) Your tree is so special ;o) So happy you got your ornament ;o) Big Hugs ;o) Everything looks happy ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE my ornament! The wood feels incredibly smooth, and the colors are fantastic. Thanks sooo much, Stacy. It will go up every year ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful decorations, so full of meaning and spirit! Brightest solstice blessings to you and Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaning is everything, isn't it? Every time I look at it, I see collective happiness. And the oranges were delicious ;-)

      Delete
  6. great decoration, and you both made it, what makes it more valuable:) Have a nice sunny day! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, and it was wonderful. There were a lot of laughter and kisses. Particularly when Jacob wore an orange peel around his ear for the longest time, and said he was going to start a trend. Life is made of those wonderful little moments ;-)

      Delete
  7. Happy Solstice! That is the most wonderful, magical & just plain fabulous tree I've ever seen. I love it even more knowing the story behind it. ^-^

    I hope your coming year is filled with all sorts of wonderful things... and at least a few really wicked ones. ^-^

    Happy Yule!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the wickedness (and lots of music) for 2013 ;-)

      Delete
  8. I love the special significance of your tree and found bits....the circles, too, made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at it right now, and smiling.

      Delete
  9. haha!! FUN!! love all the nature & creative stuff & art & circles!!
    Happy New Year!! yeah. 2 0 1 3...good numbers...great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature loves to be creative and lend people her resources, so we are accepting her offer. And yes, 2013 will be lovely. I just know it. Happy New Year, right back at you ;-)

      Delete