Reading Challenges 2013

“It’s the words that sing, they soar and descend… I bow to them… I love them, I cling to them, I run them down, I bite into them, I melt them down… I love words so much… The unexpected ones… The ones I wait for greedily or stalk until, suddenly, they drop… Vowels I love… They glitter like colored stones, they leap like silver fish, they are foam, thread, metal, dew… I run after certain words… They are so beautiful that I want to fit them all into my poem… I catch them in midflight, as they buzz past, I trap them, clean them, peel them, I set myself in front of the dish, they have a crystalline texture to me, vibrant, ivory, vegetable, oily, like fruit, like algae, like gates, like olives… And I stir them, I shake them, I drink them, I gulp them down, I mash them, I garnish them, I let them go… I leave them in my poem like stalactites, like slivers of polished wood, like coals, pickings from a shipwreck, gifts from the waves… Everything exists in the word…” Memoirs by Pablo Neruda

I posted the above quote sometime back, I’m sharing it again because it explains why I’ve joined five six reading challenges even though my time is not as plenteous as I might wish. Edited on January 5th, 2013, to add keywords and zombies (see below) and to show that I have no self-control… when it comes to chomping on yummy books *sigh*. Edited (again) on January 25th, 2013, to add an artful touch (see below).

Won’t you join me, my Wicked Darlings? If so, click on the links and read on!

The Artful Readers Club – The art of reading... Completed 
1. A Celtic Witch ARTful Apr 
2. A Different Witch  – ARTful - Feb
3. A Lost Witch ARTful - Jun
4. Bless Me, Ultima ARTful - Jul
5. Carnival of Souls ARTful - Mar
6. Dead Beat  – ARTful - May
7. Dead Inside: Do Not Enter – ARTful - Oct 
10. Of the Blood – ARTful - Jan
11. Silver Like Dust – ARTful - Aug
12. Thorn in Red ARTfulDec 

Eclectic ChallengeEclectic galore Completed 
1. Action AdventureWired 
2. Dystopian Dearly, Beloved
3. Historical mysteryGreen Darkness 
4. Humor A Dyeing Shame 
5. LGBT Yours, Johnny 
6. Made into a movieA Game of Thrones 
7. Memoir – Seriously... I'm Kidding 
8. New AdultThis Is How to Loser  
9. Published in 2013 Whupped 
10. Romantic suspenseAffliction 
11. Translated fictionThe Neverending Story
12. Urban FantasyEver After 

Monthly Keyword Challenge – Mother - Completed 
1. Fire Smokeless Fire 
2. Love Bloody Mary 
3. Magic Reckless Magic 
5. Name – Bless Me, Ultima 
6. Fly The Iron Butterfly 
7. Soul – Carnival of Souls 
8. Come Something Wicked this Way Comes   
9. Kiss – Kiss the Crystal Sun 
10. Witch – A Lost Witch 
11. Last – The Last Guardian 
12. Star Shambling with the Stars  

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us! Have a great time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting. I'm very excited about this upcoming reading year ;-)

      Delete
  2. Glad to have you joining the Eclectic Reader Challenge! Good luck!

    shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have joined, too, and looking forward to the eclectic readings ;-)

      Delete
  3. As I said on Facebook, I'll definitely at least do the witchy one. I'll write about it on my book blog. :)

    And I just realized today...I hadn't been officially following this blog! That's been fixed now. I had been reading it, but was finding the posts through Facebook, not Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see your selection. I'm excited about 2013 ;-)

      Delete
    2. P.S. We are even, I just realized that I hadn't added your book blog to my bloglist ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm going to show my ignorance here...what is Dystopian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm going to lazy and give you the dictionary's definition of dystopia: " an imaginary place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives." Dystopian is the adjective. The Hunger Games Series is a good example of dystopian books ;-)

      Delete
  5. Witchy, Eclectic and Dystopian,...i really like this one...it is so wonderful the way you wrote it...He is a wonderful poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you do. And yes, he is such a great one. I can't wait to read his Memoirs, it seems his whole life was a long, long, long poem. Hope all is well with you ;-)

      Delete
  6. Okay I will join you on two of them!!! ;~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! The more the merrier ;-)

      Delete
  7. I would join if I were able to finish one book in 6 months. But, between gaming, writing and studying (this is what I call my reading lol), novels just never get read even though I have 700 of them loaded onto my iPad. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can write bits about the, um... bits you study ;-) I'm thinking about reviewing J. K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy chapter by chapter. Wanna play?

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the 2013 Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge!!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of reading! I look forward to seeing your contributions to the Artful Readers Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I will manage to add a few more hours to my days and read everything ever written *grin*

      Delete
  10. Lol Magaly...your going to explode before you finish ingesting all these :D The quote that is running round my head is "One more wafer thin mint Mr Creasote?" from Monty Python's Meaning of Life :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty Python is an infinite source of wisdom... I might have to become of Python Priestess ;-D

      Delete