Out of the Shadows


Since the hot, sandy winter
of your continuous goodbye
burst with a red pop
that filled my screams with copper,
I’ve been seeing your face
behind oozing scarlet 
shadows.

The calendar lies,
saying that only years have gone by;
my heart,
my flesh wounds
have ached for centuries.
Centuries-long winters
of nightly cold sweats
looking at your ageless face
behind clotting scarlet 
shadows.

Then, last night, 
I spoke your picture 
into the mind of another. 
He didn’t say,
“It’s okay to hurt…”
“Be kind; have faith on faith, 
forgive yourself…”
“It wasn’t your fault…”

If it wasn’t my fucking fault, 
what’s there to forgive!

He only voiced the kind wisdom 
of those who have been there…
He stood by me; 
holding, listening, 
speaking through deep silences,
reminding old scars 
that he understood 
they sought no consolation,
just the chance 
to share your yesterdays with another.

Today, at sunrise, 
I pulled your face out of my soul pocket,
watched you wave your last goodbye,
felt the sweet Midwestern winter 
wipe copper out of my memory,
and banish scarlet shadows 
as you hiked, MOLLE pack full of smiles, 
towards the Summerlands.


I hope your day is full of warm hugs and kisses that help you banish the uglies. And for the Winter Solstice, I wish you can dance around bonfires while cackling in fiery delight.

25 comments:

  1. Your beautiful words made me cry silent tears of joy :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than a bit of liquid heartfelt salt to caress the cheeks and cleanse the soul ;-)

      Delete
  2. ". . . a time for every purpose. . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and a place for every deed ;-)

      Delete
  3. This might be entirely inappropriate, but "MOLLE pack" made me laugh - haven't seen one of those in a few years!

    Despite my... whatever that^ is... this is a beautiful piece of writing. Really. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is never inappropriate at Pagan Culture. For things that make the heart pump with mirth are always welcome in my house. Besides, I grinned too when I wrote MOLLE pack. I think my hip, feet, and shoulder whined a bit thinking that we were on our way to hump ;-)

      Delete
  4. those were beautiful lines... so nice to know that you are content at the moment, just enjoy it and be grateful, i know you are :) all the warm blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is made of moments, I will make sure to string all the happy ones together.

      Warm blessings right back at you ;-)

      Delete
  5. A good Midwestern snowstorm can blister quite a bit of nastiness out of ones' soul pocket. Good thing you have a warm winter afghan to warm you winters' chill touch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. How did you know I needed to read such words today? "Centuries-long winters of nightly cold sweats
    looking at your ageless face behind clotting scarlet shadows" really played on my heart strings, thank you for writing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we just need a few cold words that bring heat to our soul and remind our hearts that we are alive. Live on, dear Bellatrix ;-)

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful Magaly! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Crow Goddess. I saw a bunch of your birds yesterday and they made me think of your colors ;-)

      Delete
  8. I needed this today, thank you Magaly.

    We need to compare MOLLE packs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed. And nightmares about them. I'm too short, so mine was always hitting my butt and smacking my bones lol

      Delete
  9. beautiful words...go with the flow. of your life. love it!! i know you are! =:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going with it, indeed. And liking the waves that push me forward ;-)

      Delete
  10. Powerful images surface when i read your words. So much heat and light burn in a cold climate! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough to keep a Caribbean soul on fire in the Midwest!

      Delete
  11. Great images danced in my head with this toasty post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you danced with them ;-)

      Delete
  12. That is a gorgeous photo...I can see why you needed to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such warm colors, aren't they? It is difficult not to fall in love with Midwestern sunrises and sunsets every day, so I just don't fight it and fall happily ;-)

      Delete