A Luscious Goddess on My Wood


Whenever I get specific questions via email, I tend to reply directly to the individual. However, I’ve received the same inquiry from five different people in the last few weeks, so I’m choosing to answer it with a post. Here is the first (the others are very similar): “Dear Magaly, your altars are personal, calming and very unique. I want to create something similar for the Winter Solstice, but I’m always worried that I’m not doing it right. How do you choose your altar things?”

The short answer would be that I don’t really choose things. It might sound bit silly (and a lot cliché), but I let altar items choose me. For instance, yesterday, I was chosen by something on the wood:

I was in the kitchen making dinner while Jacob mounted my favorite wee silver hammer on the back wall of the cubbyhole where I keep my mortar and pestle. “Baby,” he said, “is this where you want it?” He was holding the hammer at a forty-five degree angle; handle down and to the right.

 “The other way around, Love,” I said. “I want the head to be higher than the handle.”

“Okay,” he nodded as he eye-measured the spot I had suggested.

“Oh my,” I said, grinning. “Look at that.” I pointed at a pattern on the wood.

“And right on top of a phallic symbol,” Jacob smirked. “Try this angle,” he suggested, guiding my head a few inches down. “Doesn’t it look like she is on her back, and you can see her breasts from between her legs? She has nipples and everything.”

“She does,” I said, and traced the outline with my finger.

Yep, my Wicked Luvs, I’m all smiles. Not only is my lucky silver hammer successfully mounted in my kitchen, but it sits in the company of a very sensual picture of the Goddess.
I used to be terribly jealous of Debra, from She Who Seeks. For she shared a miracle in which “the Goddess was recently featured in a long overdue cameo on . . . (wait for it) . . . a pancake.” Well, Debra Luv, eat your heart out. You got to blog about the “Sacred Yoni (Vulva) of the Goddess manifested in golden panfried goodness!” but let’s face it, gods on pastries are sooo passé. I, on the other hand, have the fresh pleasure of being the Witch with the Sacred Female spread in all her glory... on my wood. See?
Yep, I rule ;-) Um... another lovely view of the miracle...
In all seriousness, my Wicked Luvs, the image (which, by the way, might look like an apple cut through the middle to a less sexually artistic mind) made me happiest because it turned a simple cubbyhole into a nook of magic. It has history now. And I’m not just talking about the empty wine bottles whose contents Jacob and I shared during the first days of our rekindling, or the statues from his travels to Thailand  or the pestle and mortar I use to spell and to make our meals, or the hammer which I keep as a symbol of one of the most important things that has ever happen to me… I’m referring to the new history: at the fact that Jacob and I noticed something special, together, and while making an old house into our forever home. Like holidays exist because people celebrate them, homes (and accidental altars) become sacred because we make them so.

Here is another simple altar which happens to be the one I hold closest to my heart:
The bottle contains hemp rope, orange peels, a handwritten note, a rock Jacob gave me many years ago, leaves he has collected for me, a willow stick from a tree Jacob planted when he was a kid, and a few other things. The painting was created by Gina. It was our first housewarming gift. The small metal circle is formed by my wedding band inside Jacob’s wedding band. The two rings are held together by a braid made of three ribbons which came with presents from three women who mean the world to me.

Can you feel the strength in all these symbols? I bet. They are not powerful because I planned every bit, but because they have meaning. The same will be true for my altar for the Winter Solstice, which I will set up circa the 13th of December: it will have things that are important to me and to the ones who I choose to share my life with me.

Have you checked out Gathicadays 2012 yet? One more day to go ;-)

Share |

26 comments:

  1. Yes, it's true! She has manifested Herself in your altar cubbyhole, LOL! That's so wild. And unlike a pancake, won't go moldy in time -- SO AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she humble? The world is full of palaces and millions worth mansions, but she picked my little hole to show up. Awesome indeed ;-)

      P.S. I'm sure someone ate that pancake before it got cold!

      Delete
  2. Your Goddess is beautiful and uninhibited, just like her hostess. Love it. I have a Lady who adorns my bathroom door...I would like to move the door. It seems like she should have a more dignified setting. Your altars are beautiful, and you are right. We have to stop worrying about "doing it right", and do what speaks to us. I used to devour every esoteric text on which I could get my hands, and couldn't even bring myself to create an altar because I was so worried about getting it wrong. One day I looked at my dresser, though, and realized I pretty much already had one...I had a picture of my father, who has passed to the next life, a picture of my niece, who is the epitome of a Strong Feminine presence-whether she knows it or not, rocks that "feel good in my hand", and a few other bits and baubles. An altar is not so very different, I think...I don't even have a deity to whom I have dedicated myself, but I love my simple little altar now, as it feels as much like a place to honor the Divine within myself, as to honor a separate presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "beautiful and uninhibited" just the way Nature is meant to be. Always a welcomed sight. I swear that she makes me smile every time.

      By the way, I bet you go to the bathroom just to smile at the lady on your door ;-)

      Delete
    2. I do! I do! I will put up a picture of her.

      Delete
    3. Yay! Can't wait to see her ;-)

      Delete
  3. *as much as to honor a separate presence*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those word-eating goblins again!

      Delete
  4. Yes, it may look like an apple to some, but apple's have their own sexuality, too....

    I love your altars...a collection of things that you love and that have significance....things that make you reverent, things that make you remember...and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthy presents are made of good memories and new smiles ;-)

      Delete
  5. One of the best posts so far, among those I had read!the things really manifest themselves, when we believe. i like your altars, and it seem very artistic to me as well.especially that bottle with nature treasures and the painting. hmm..i guess I also make some kind of altars here and there. Mostly, on our bedroom table. I feel like it has to be there, that the things I like have to lie or stand on this table. i like see them in the morning and when i go to bed:) Have a great weekend, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like life, altars too are best when we just let them happen. Yes, we make decisions (rearrange things here and there) but when we use our time to embrace what's already there... things are just grand.

      I hope your weekend is fabulous, and that you continue to enjoy your birthday oils ;-)

      Delete
  6. That is a great piece of wood!
    Altars are interesting, if only for the psychological symbolism of the pieces gathered there. Being an atheist I don't have an altar, but (and no-one except Cinnamon man knows this) about two years ago, at a particularly longing and introverted time of my life, I made an amulet. I made it in a meditative state, from scratch with salt-dough, perfume and dye. I was completely focused on one single wish the whole time. I shaped it as a heart and inscribed it with symbols that have meaning to me. Then I let it dry and hung it up over my bed. A few weeks later I met Cinnamon man and embarked on a very lustful adventure.
    The skeptic in me says it was all psychological, but the amulet still hangs above our bed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Witch, so in my mind and heart everything is important because of its symbolism. Things, like people and concepts and gods are only as powerful as we let them be. I believe that if you trust an amulet will work, your mind might work harder at doing everything it can to get things done, so which came first the chicken or the egg? Well, it isn't all that important as long as you get your "very lustful adventure" ;-)

      P.S. I'm thinking about having a series of posts in 2013 discussing my views on the gods concept. Maybe you'll like to join me?

      Delete
    2. Sounds interesting. Are you gonna take the religion/paganism vs atheism/psychology road, or what were you thinking?

      Delete
    3. I don't think I will try to put any concept vs the other, I'm more about mixing things up...

      What I would really like is a spiritually psychological discussion of what the god concept mean to different people. Does that make any sense? I want to look for common grounds...

      Delete
  7. i like your alters.
    i don't have an 'alter'...but maybe in a way i do...not just ONE...but many, scattered around our home. pieces of me...bottles & boxes, jars...filled with things that are my 'treasures'...candles, stones...memories of loves & losses...

    i like this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labels, when used well, make conversations more clear. I call these kind of spaces/setups altars because it implies that they are special places with special bits--things that I respect. Can you imagine if I went around saying, "This is a special place because Jacob and I found what looks like a female form--which we both believe to be beautiful--in all her glory. Also we shared a very special conversation while he hung my hammer..." it would be way to long, but if I say it is an altar, everybody know that it is special enough for me to exult. So, yep, you have lovely altars all over the place: your collection of bones, the pictures of loved ones, stones... a picture of Milo.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful! Indeed, I agree ... altars and the things on them and around us ... well, choose us. We are led to look with open hearts and open eyes. Thank you so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we look around with open hearts and open eyes, we are lucky enough to see magic everywhere... or a bunch of altars ;-)

      Delete
  9. She is beautiful! Great post Magaly ;o) I agree, items choose you! It's like me and my stones! I never know what I will get, they jump out at me ;o) My friend, I keep forgetting to ask you, may I have your new address? Please ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stones can even choose other people through you, for I LOVE the stones you got for me. And she is beautiful indeed ;-)

      P.S. I sent you my new address.

      Delete
  10. Love it! It just purely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is unbelievable! Amazing! and totally sacred. Love the way your eyes see the messages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sacred indeed. It's scary at times, you know? Having so much and knowing that it can be gone. But not so scary that I keep myself from enjoying all of it. From letting him see through me and learn that I adore him just as much ;-)

      Delete