The Old… The New… and Chunks of Purple Fire and Witchy Sunshine


The New Year (to my non-witchy Luvs, October 31st marks the eve of the Witches’ New Year) and this time of rekindling and new beginnings finds me sending gratitude-infused hugs to a lot of people:
   I’m thanking you who asked the right questions, even when you already knew the answers.
   I’m thanking you who word-kicked idiocy in the teeth, so I wouldn’t have to it alone.
   I’m thanking you who needed no help understanding that life happens and Fate won’t be denied.
   I’m thanking you who chose not to cheapen past glories by spewing malice on its beauty.
   I’m thanking you who picked up your metaphorical pack and are ready to take new steps with me…      

I will begin with a bit of old, for as promised on my last entry, I will bring you up to date on the tale of Jacob and me; a bit of our past, our present, and perhaps glimpses into the building of our future. Here is a bit of old that has always made me smile:
This picture was taken about a decade ago while we were stationed in Marine Corps Base Quantico, in Virginia. Because of the nature of our work and ranks, we were not really supposed to be together, so we stayed away from people. Or so we thought… I mean, seriously, my Wicked Darlings, we hiked about half a mile, then climbed down a cliff and hid under that huge hunk of rock you see in the picture. But because Marines will be Marines, and we are enchanted by reconnaissance, a friend tracked our steps and took that picture. I’m glad he did ;-)

Fly into the present, and let me show you my new writing space. I’m surrounded by my altar, my grenade box, the books I love most, art pieces from dear friends and crafty things created by my very artistic witchy self *cough, cough* and all of that is encircled by five windows. What do you think?
There isn’t much to see through the two windows on the right. I love my view through the front window though. Yes, it’s a building, but it is flanked by tall pines, and can you see that skull and rainbow flag on the windows? Priceless.
My eyes stay inside the apartment when I look at the windows on the left. For I enjoy seeing my dragon’s blood plant next to Jacob’s jade. Those two plants have been around, my Wicked Luvs… but I think they’ve finally found home in each other. Look at the jade leaning in. What a flirt ;-)
If I twist my neck further back, I get to flirt, too. Yep, that’s Jacob working on his Brain Wall, the place where he jots random thoughts (“Be a Paladin!!!”), scribbles poetry, and solves the latest mysteries in the world of calculus and physics. Um, that’s where we workout too…
And I had to show you the picture below and tell why I want to share it. I’m a compulsive un-packer, but after driving 13 hours from New York to Chicago, I had very little energy left; well, just enough to be annoyed by the fact that I was too tired to unpack. So Jacob unpacked my shoes… I walked into the closet and noticed he had set our combat boots right next to each other. I cooed and uttered many other non-combat appropriate noises, and hugged my goofball who had been waiting for a while to see how long until I noticed the cute but lethal pair.    
Now, the Purple Fire and the Witchy Sunshine...

I had planned to photograph a nearby garden for Purple/Halloween from Nature Photography; giant thistles and a plant with wee purple leaves. Then I went on a purple candle burning binge, which inspired me to capture all the purple I saw. I took many photos, but was enchanted by a bit of uncanniness and by the magic of SunshineShelle’s media fusion:
 This purple candle refuses to be ordinary. See how it’s burning? Such a fiery attitude.
 “Witch” is one of three pieces I got from Shelle, last year around this time.
 It seems the purple candle has split fiery personalities.
 “Witch Culture” is another piece from Shelle’s trio.
 I love the different shades of purple that trickle down as the candle melts and cools.
 Did you wave at Wicked and Old Man Death? They’ve been watching you from the shadows ;-)

I’m waving, too, my Luvs. And hoping that the New Year brings you all you need and most of what you desire. Not all your heart’s desires though, for that much chocolate can kill anything with arteries.

P.S. Don’t forget to visit the Samhain’s Sirens and delight on the last post (and prizes) of the season. 


Share |

48 comments:

  1. This day finds me staring at my screen, a book and out my windows as I try to wrap my head around c++ programming. I'm happy you made the trip safely and are settling in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope the programming torture doesn't make you pull your hair out, m'luv. Be successful in your very technical start to the new year.

      Delete
  2. *wiping tears* This was ... beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears can be such cleaning things, so enjoy them ;-)

      Delete
  3. Yay!! And that's such a cute picture!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice space in your bower tower! Grenade boxes are certainly a handy size, aren't they? So nice to see your greenery successfully made the trip to Chicago. Sweet photo of you two (if you wanted to be alone, you shouldn't have made it such a challenge to find you...you know how Marines react to 'challenge'....;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right, my dearest. If you want a Marine to stay away from something, telling them that they should is not the best strategy *sigh*

      I LOVES my grenade box. It has held my witchy things for many, many, many years.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing a little more of the story. Love the boots..and the eccentric candle! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got those candles as a present for All Hallow's Eve. They are all "eccentric" in their burning style, but they are such fun. And I love our boots, too. I like looking at them from the top, for I wear in 7.5 in men shoes and Jacob wears a size 13, so I get to say (for once) that I have small feet lol

      Delete
  6. :) I still cant get around all the changes you've had but I am glad you arrived well and settling in nicely. big hugs wish you a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give yourself some time (and read Pagan Culture) and eventually your head and heart will understand it all. Big hugs, right back at you. I shall come and visit soon!

      Delete
  7. Housewarming hug! Love those windows, and all your favorite things around. You will have to let us know if Chicago is indeed a "toddlin' town" (is that the correct spelling?)
    Keep on smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall spend many days and nights listening to Sinatra and researching Chicago's "toddlin'" ways!

      Delete
  8. I love the photo of your combat boots together. And I definitely love the pic of you two trying to get some privacy. :)

    Happy (late) Samhain! Looks like you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that picture, too. There is something charming about the way they lean on each other that makes me smile.

      I need to stop by your cyber-home and see what you've been up to ;-)

      Delete
  9. I've always loved the idea of a circular tower-ish room -- your witchy stuff looks great there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! You should've seen me when I saw the writing space and the way Jacob had set up the chair and the plants. I nearly cry, but I was grinning too big for tears lol

      Delete
  10. The picture of you two certainly expresses the love you two share. I love your new writing space too. :)_

    Blessings and love my witchy darlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures are so powerful, aren't they? I look at them, and when they are just the right ones, all the feelings of the day they were taken return anew.

      Blessings, right back at you ;-)

      Delete
  11. Have he and his boots been waiting for you this whole time?
    Looks like such a warm and welcoming spot...filled with love and conversations to make your brain orgasm (can't believe I just said that...haha!....but I'm leaving it....cuz there is nothing sexier than a smart man)

    So glad you are getting settled in in more ways than one.
    Wishing you happiness and fulfillment this year to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot of waiting going on in this relationship...

      "brain orgasm" lol. I love what you do with words, my beloved Cameron. Thanks so much for your good wishes ;-)

      Delete
  12. I am loving your purple candle, Your cool writing spot, your love's brain wall, and your flirty jade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That purple candle has a lot of personality, I guess it's difficult not to love its spunk.

      Delete
  13. That post just oozed smiley love and contentment :D I love your new writing space...surrounded by light and trees...perfect. :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I can see the contentment oozing through the window, drinking in the sunlight, and coming back in to kiss me as I write ;-)

      Delete
  14. Hello! I just stumbled upon your blog. What a wonderful writing space! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Pagan Culture, Dessa. I'm glad you stumbled upon our circle, hope to see you around often ;-)

      Delete
  15. Love love love your writing space. So intimate and cozy!! Warm and fuzzy for sure.
    And the pic of the two of you on the rocks is wonderful! On the rocks...love it
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the writing space, too. I get to spy on the world as I create other worlds with the sun and trees as witnesses. Yum!

      Delete
  16. These pics vibrate love and warmth! I am wishing you the best of luck in your new home with Jacob! The writing space is sooo cutesurrounded with as many windows as the elements! So, we can expect the witchiest of stories! Brightest blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm predicting many witchy tales, too. I'm currently editing AlmaMia Cienfuegos and Other Tales, a short eclectic collection, which I hope you will enjoy ;-)

      Delete
  17. Wow, Magaly. I am astonished by your amazing past. I, and I don't know why now that I think about it, would never have put Marine and witch together as in "My friend Magaly the former Marine who is a witch. Just shows how narrow my thinking is. :D New Year's rez - OPen my mind! Anyway your cosy nest looks very 'Magaly' and I'm looking forward to more posts about your new life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one, Francie luv. Sometimes we don't look deeper to what our expectations want us to see, and that is a normal thing. But once we open our eyes and open them again through someone else's circumstances, the things we see are... well, out of these world. I like them ;-)

      Delete
  18. I love all the pics. I got a HUGE chuckle out of "Be a Paladin". My first thought was, "He plays WoW!" I'm a paladin in there.:D Happy Witches' New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't play, but he LOVES words and different philosophies. He tends to be a paladin in life. And at 6 feet 6 inches, I'm pretty sure he can even wear the armor ;-)

      Delete
  19. Aww I love the combat boots next to each other. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look cute, don't they? I just found out that he set them leaning against each other on purpose, and that made me smile a shiny smile ;-)

      Delete
  20. Beautiful post my friend ;o) Your new home looks amazing! You can feel the love ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the place. And I'm super excited about moving back to the country in a few months. I can't wait to stop replanting my garden and watching my puppy run like an insane fool all over the place ;-)

      Delete
  21. "Being caught between a rock and a hard place" never looked more comfortable ;) Pleased to see you are settling in, the witches and candles fit perfectly with the Purple/Halloween Pleased they made it to the Windy City ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelle, you are a wicked, wicked woman, and I love you for it. I just laughed sooo hard *lol*

      The witches didn't only make it to the Windy City, but they are sitting right on top of my broom to one side of my writing space. I will take a better pic and send it to you ;-)

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa. I'm quite happy myself, even if I have written less than 5,000 words of fiction in the last month. I'm such a happy lazy bum lol

      Delete
  23. wow. everything is so good. so right. your new home...the curve of the building...your new writing space...surrounded by everything you love...i'm happy for you!!

    i'm also way behind here...going backwards...hmmmmm, how did i get here... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So weird how going backwards can feel so good sometimes. The realization that we "kind of know the way" and what we'll have to do to get through certain places... the fact that we "kind of know" how things will end... specially when the ending to come is a happy one ;-)

      Delete
  24. I recently stumbled upon your blog and I've found myself reading it, post by post. I love this one of all. What a great photo of you and Jacob. I'll be back to read more! And thank you both for your service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you are enjoying Pagan Culture, and the story of my love and I. Love is a wonderful thing by itself, and when we can share its goodness with others it comes perfect.

      Welcome to the circle!

      Delete