Stop Snickering! It’s Just an Innocently Pulled Butt Muscle


I pulled a butt muscle… and I almost didn’t tell you about it. I wanted to lie to myself and to you, and say, “My Wicked Darlings don’t care about what degree of crippleness I might be in, so there is no sense in telling them.” But we both know that lack of significance wasn’t the reason behind the possible omission. The truth is that I wasn’t sure if I could handle the excruciating throbbing on my right gluteus maximus and the snickery remarks such revelation would bring out of you. I mean, I would have made fun of myself, if it hadn’t hurt so freaking much. Seriously, who pulls a butt muscle while walking from the living room to the kitchen? Stop smirking! I swear that’s what happened.

Anyhoo, I’m not hurting that much anymore. I can even put all of my 121 pounds of pure witchy hotness on my right leg. I still look like a flesh and bone Picasso gone wrong when I try to stand up straight, but all is not gloom. You see, Jacob has been feeding me in bed, rubbing all the sore spots, and pretty much making me feel like pulling a muscle is not that bad of a thing after all. Okay, the last bit is pure garbage. I’m loving the adoring attention, but after days of not being able to shave my own legs things are getting too annoyingly hairy for self-comfort. TMI, huh? I’ll leave the butt muscle alone, and tell you why I started this post with that bit of reality…

Yesterday, I was working on Dancing on Her Bones, AlmaMia Cienfuegos’ novel, and for some reason our usually wild and strong-hearted young protagonist wouldn’t stop whining about everything. When the moaning and complaining started to get on my last nerve, I put the tale aside and began to reread “Belle du Freak” and “Carving Flesh Tales,” before working on the last poem in the trilogy. And you know what, my Luvs? I was surprised (and extremely pleased ;-) by finding a bit a romantic tone in the tale. I kind of love to revisit one of my stories (or poems) and find motifs that sneaked out of my head and into the world without me noticing them.

For instance, I was not aiming for any romance between these ladies, but when I started writing “Spelling Brightness,” the final installment of the trilogy, I saw the Witch through the Spider-Woman’s eyes; one glance… a few words… a touch… told me that they were more than just friends. I began to wonder about how the two souls would survive in a rational world where beauty, normalcy, acceptance, good, evil… tend to be limited to the orthodoxy-handicapped whims of societal stagnation. In retrospect, I’m pretty sure my own life and the way I feel about Jacob was in my mind while I wrote the poems. I just love it when fiction helps me make sense of reality by letting me watch my characters analyze their lives in my imagined worlds.

Won’t you fly over to my website to read the conclusion of the Belle du Freak Trilogy, and experience the tale of the Witch and the Spider-Woman’s love? But first, do tell me if every now and again bits of yourself sneak into your art without your permission. Or if certain art works have left you feeling like their authors had a window into your soul and your circumstances.

The last works to leave me wondering if a stranger had my mind bugged were The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The first touched me because of the protagonist relationship to people, books, and nontraditional worldviews; the second, because of reasons that I’m not ready to explain. Don’t believe that I’m afraid to share or that I have something to conceal, it’s just that my brain is yet to learn the words needed to convey the feelings The Hunger Games rekindled in my witchy soul.

So… I showed you a bit of mine, won’t you show me some of yours?

 I know this photo has little to do with this post, but I found it while searching for an anatomical picture of a strained glute. I couldn’t stop looking at it… the same goes for many others at body impolitic. Wow!

 This one, on the other hand, might tell you a bit about why I like The Book Thief.

P.S. I know crippleness and snickery aren’t real words, but I like how they sound. So there ;-)

Share |

44 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your pulled butt muscle, dear Magaly. I absolutely 100% believe that it was while walking across the room...(now I'm snickering). All snark aside, though, I've done it, and know it hurts like crazy. I hope you heal quickly...although if Jacob were feeding me in bed and rubbing all the places that hurt, my condition might worsen indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muscle is getting better. It might take a bit longer than usual to heal because the strain is opposite to my bad hip, so I'm all out of balance. But with all the care, rubbing and cuddling... well, I predict I will be for a while ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I meant to say too, that every piece of my work has a piece of me in it. Even the less than stellar pieces have a piece of me in them. Not every part of me is focused or perfect (hard to believe, I know...he he), and sometimes those parts leak into my work. No avoiding it. Each artwork sale or commission is a little bit sad...like finding a home for a puppy that you know you can't keep.

      Delete
    3. I know exactly what you mean. It is hard to let go of a piece of writing, knowing that once other people read it, the story is no longer just yours. But it is nice to see them grow up, too ;-)

      Delete
  2. Nearly all my art has "bit's of me" in, including when I write....and I did smirk over the pulled glute, sorry :D I was assuming it had something to do with Jacob :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely understand people who say that their work has nothing of them. I mean, at least in a very subconscious level. And when we are dealing with some of life's most complex events, I would assume that the effect might be even higher. But hey, not everybody is the same, right?

      Somehow, I'm thinking that he used some of the Jedi mind tricks to cause the pull (even if he was giving a physics presentation that day) just so he could keep me in bed 24/7 lol

      Delete
  3. Magaly, never in my wildest dreams did I think you'd flat out lie to us! We all know Jacob is the cause and cure for your butt muscle soreness. lol.

    In all seriousness, icy hot! Works wonders. Though I agree with Sarah. If I had a hunky guy (Wait, I do!) he'd be on massage my butt duty indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, and there I was trying to be mysterious lol

      I've been icing it. I'm allergic to icy hot and to other things containing menthol *sigh*

      P.S. I was by your blog wishing a happy birthday, and it keeps on kicking me out. I'm going back!

      Delete
  4. As someone who has pulled my butt muscle as well as many other strange injuries, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear this freaking pain has a mind of its own. It seems that it travels from my glute, to my back, to my thigh... insane.

      Delete
  5. Geez, guess you'll have to do the old-lady routine before you get out of bed: stretch, stretch, stretch! So....end of December & it'll be Magaly down on the farm? Quite a switch from NYC......*loved* the sense of eternal tenderness between Witch & Spiderwoman :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been stretching like a crazy person. Jacob's theory is that 13 hours of driving left my body confused and over-stressed. I hope my body gets its act together soon, because the truth is that it is getting on my nerves.

      Oh, wait until I tell you everything about the farm and the puppies. I'm so excited that I don't know what to do with myself lol

      I loved the same thing about the Witch and the Spider-Woman. They way the care and protect each other is just well, sweet and heart-filling ;-)

      Delete
    2. Driving 13 hours straight would drive my ADD into batshit-nutso overdrive!

      Delete
    3. I can focus to the point of making other people uncomfortable. It's a gift lol

      Delete
  6. Aw, poor Magaly! Knowing what caused your strained gluteus maximus, aka PITA, is about 90% of what you need to prevent recurrence.

    As for the other 10% of your current PITA- stay out of the kitchen!

    Ain't logic grand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make sure to stay away from the Kitchen. PITA is not a good thing to deal with, my goodness, I swear that I've been whining so much that I can hardly stand myself. I don't know how he deals with it!

      Delete
  7. ouch! a pulled butt!

    i LOVED the hunger games trilogy...the BOOKS, not so much the movie. but isn't it usually that way...if u read the book first...

    very cool cover art on the book thief!! will have to add that one to my ever growing list. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, indeed, particularly when the butt in question is as, large as mine lol

      Oh, you will LOVE The Book Thief. I can tell you that I was crying, cheering, shaking my fist in the air... all this in the train with people staring at me. The book is that powerful.

      I haven't seen The Hunger Games movie. Someone told me that the adaptation is nearly as bad as the one for The Golden Compass and Where the Wild Things Are, so I'm kind of staying away. I'm still trying to recover from the 20 minutes I watched of Where the Wild Things Are...

      Delete
  8. Oh, poor little sore butt muscle! If ONLY there were someone there who could kiss it and make it better . . . !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, Debra, why don't you give him ideas. He is right next to me, grinning like the cat who is about to bite the canary's butt lol

      Delete
  9. Owie!!! I have done that myself...it does hurt!! Glad you are on the road to recovery!!
    I am just now on the second book of the Hunger Games....I am not sure how I feel about it right now. Going to finish them and digest!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a strange feeling when I got to book two, too. Do let me know how you feel next.

      Delete
  10. I forgot one thing..the piece I am currently working on all of a sudden took a Japanese flair to it!! Weird! Ha!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to see the "Japanese flair"!

      Delete
  11. Stretch and massage are, indeed, the best remedy (I was a Massage Therapist for 6 years before we bought this house 2 years ago). I would switch to heat now that the injury is older. Do you like bananas? The potassium helps ease muscle cramping.
    Are you using a different posture when you work now than you did before (new chair/new desk). And yes, the long drive could've certainly been the culprit!

    Hope your butt soon feels as good on the inside as it looks on the outside :)

    Though my art may not be telling of what's in my mind and soul...I think that there are always bits of my heart in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get here to give me a good rub! Actually, Jacob is doing a great job. He has ginormous gentle hands that know their way around my body (he enjoys exploring my scars, broken parts, sore bits...) so things are getting better. I will add some bananas to my diet, and you are right, I always take a while before I can get used to a new chair *sigh*


      I think your art (specially the colors) show a lot of you. I love it.

      Delete
  12. Oh oh. I had a pinched nerve in my back a few years ago and everything below my waste was in excutiating pain for 6 weeks. Until them I never knew a woman's butt could hurt. But, let me tell you, it ain't nothing to laugh about. Hope you are feeling better. And Magaly, I did get my e-book, thank you so much!!!!! I am going away for a few days this week and am pressed for time but I wanted you to know it arrived. Take care, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right with you. I had never pulled a butt muscle, and oh my goodness was I surprised! I've hurt a hip, a shoulder, both writs, broken a few toes, fingers, bruised ribs... but the butt has been the one to well, put me on my butt. But it's getting better now.

      Yay, you got the book! You must tell me how you like it. I have a feeling it will be a lot ;-)

      Delete
  13. I meant my waist, but I suppose waste works too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, your poor little butt! Now tell us what really happened Magaly ;O)))) LOL! I would have to say, all of my art, has a part of me in it. My emotions bring out my art ;o) Big Hugs, my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, about that... I might need a release form lol

      Oh, I so know that your art reflects your beauty and your life. I love telling people a bit about your story, and send them to your blog to read it for themselves. Art with life in it ;-)

      Delete
  15. You know what Magaly, the way you are describing your pain, I bet it's your sciatic nerve! Are you using ice???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it is, too. Particularly because it is setting at the upper part of my glute and it stretches all the way down to my calf *sigh*

      Delete
  16. I forgot to say, this would be a real pain in the ass!!! I have had this and so has my mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my first time, and it has changed my perspective about the phrase "pain in the ass."

      Delete
  17. I want to tease you, but I do believe it. I have the worst luck, but I can say I haven't pulled my butt muscle yet. I've knocked out my knee, neck and back all while doing nothing more taxing than standing. I'm in so much trouble when I get old! lol

    Thanks for the chuckle though. I first read this entry while slowly dying of boredom and frustration in the hospital. My oldest was being "observed" but really only had constipation. Which meant I still had to tell the doctor that I'm SURE we can handle the rest of his recuperating at home. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to have a nice tale to joke about, but nope; it's worse than than the poor guy who comes back from war after shooting his own foot by accident *sigh*

      The image of you "handling" the rest of his recovery made me chuckle lol

      Delete
  18. Hello, Magaly! This is our life: reality comes along with romance..does it mean that romance is not real? it is, but it makes all look as it is not...i know this from my own experience.
    and hey, isn't it pleasant to get some kind of other attention from your beloved one? though it makes you realize you are more vulnerable than you think...
    anyway, get well and get out of reality, which causes us pain. All the best with continuation of your book! Hugs, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, dear Anna, that is the one absolutely wonderful thing about this situation. Jacob taking care of me without me having much of a choice. I'm the worse person at not doing anything. But when you can't get up without help, well, your dignity kind of understands lol.

      And yes, it is our life and our love ;-)

      p.s. I just met a couple that is the reverse of you: an Indian woman and a Russian guy. They have the cutest little boy. I was telling them about your blog ;-)

      Delete
  19. I have yet to read "The Book Theif", but it is on top of my list. As soon as I get through the about 300 unread books at home. Or maybe earlier. :-) I could tell myself I am completely selfless and doing research for my sister, who does not yet know what to read next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be a good sister, Diandra dear. I'm sure your sacrifice will be appreciated. We all know you won't be reading The Book Thief for your own enjoyment, but to make sure your sister's reading list stays healthy... and for general research, of course ;-)

      Delete
  20. You are not the only one that has done this. I have also pulled a butt muscle. I did it getting out of bed after a nap. Alone. I shit you not. I'm such a cripple. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My butt muscle is almost back to normal. I'm pretty sure I will be able to get back to running--even is not too fast or too far--in a few days. I CAN'T wait!

      I will still be a cripple, but hey, cripples are cute ;-)

      Delete