Becoming Sweettooth

“His wife’s chest rose and fell under the pressure of his knees. He fed on the convulsions of her sweaty flesh. When her breathing failed, he sucked in the purpling of her cheeks and the wilting of her breasts. Her body stilled. He opened his eyes to the darkness; relished in the death of the woman he loved.

Seconds after the fear high left his mind, the man glanced at the body lying on the right side of his matrimonial bed. The sight of his own sleeping flesh hugging the already rotting corpse of his wife ripped a scream out of his spirit. He tried willing his body to move, but the recent violence had broken the thread that tied his essence and flesh.

He glanced back and forth between his wife’s corpse and the seemingly lifeless shell that used to contain his own humanity. He howled. And the universe howled, too, rejoicing and grieving for the birth of its youngest nightmare eater.”
I know Gina’s AEDGYTH “pronounced Edith,” is a female and Sweettooth is a male, but those healthy fangs and fierce expression continue to make me think of the eater of nightmares.

16 comments:

  1. I really ought to frame that pic. Love the birth scene :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweettooth is very special to me. There is something about someone losing himself and destroying everything he held dear in order to become what he would be forever... I think you definitely frame this pic ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yup, I knew my heart would break for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has that effect on people. And by people, I mean me ;-(

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yay! I thought you guys would enjoy this. Wait 'till you see the revisions. Luna is more focused, and I've merged a few characters. I'm very happy with the results, and can't wait to share them ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Glad you love it. I'm kind of crazy about the whole tale, too ;-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Fantastic, indeed. And urban, too!!!

      Delete
  6. Words are your power... Words are your paintbrush... Awesomer vision

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I'm just delighting in the sharp colors of the word "Awesomer".

      P.S. We need to talk about Guts for Joy and a magical realist cover *wink, wink*

      Delete
  7. Oooh! Lovely! Lots to eat here. And an anecdote. My dear Great Aunt Edith ( heh) tragically lost her husband when he died in his sleep, some time in the 1950's. It being cold, him being cold and Aunt Edith not having a telephone, she got back into bed, beside her deceased husband, and went back to sleep. That wasn't what appalled everybody. What appalled everybody was that she slept in, until 10.30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to meet your Great Aunt Edith. That lady had grit!

      Delete
  8. Poor Sweettooth! Does every Nightmare Eater embody their nightmare's before everyone else's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be extra slow today ;-( I'm not sure I understand the question.

      Delete