An Upcycling Dream


Five years ago, on a road trip from the Midwest to California, Jacob and I decided that we would build our home in rural Illinois. We wanted to be close to family (and farm eggs, and peacock feathers, and unleashed dogs, and Jacob’s mom’s homemade wine…)

We wanted to live in the Midwest, but we disliked the weather. There are just too many things you can’t do while Nature gets frigid and all decked up in her ever-falling snowy dress. So Jacob and I began to dream about a small home, which we would build inside a greenhouse-like structure. Then things went complicated between him and I. We separated; divorced; our dream green-home melted with the Midwestern snow…

…some time after we separated, Jacob bought a building that used to be a grocery store about 100 years ago, a sign shop a few years after that, an electrical shop several years later, and then a family home for about two decades. This coming December, the two story structure, which might be the second (maybe third) biggest edifice in town, will become our permanent home. The place needs work, and we are in absolute restoration-lust with every aspect of what the process implies.

I can’t wait to show you everything, my Wicked Luvs: the interesting tools and antiques left behind by several generations of previous owners, the things Jacob has designed and rebuilt, the glider/rocking chair he got for his Wicked Witch Writer, the yard (where he marked spots for the raised garden, compost tumbler, and fire pit he is building for moi… 

…and the biggest news I wish to share, today, is that Jacob and I plan to upcycle everything we can during the restoring and re-furnishing of our home. We’re excited and then some, for we are both good with our hands and brains (we are very modest, too *grin*), and can’t wait to put our combined skills to work. Seriously though, my Wicked Luvs, as individuals, Jacob and I have always done well. And when we come together, we can build worlds.


Share |

32 comments:

  1. I love this...the sounds of it...the tactile experience of it...the dream of it. So exciting. Can't wait to see and vicariously experience this with you both.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tactile experience" is right, my dear SueAnn! Today, we spent the day cleaning and fixing and arranging and every now and then fooling around. But mostly cleaning. Jacob repaired the water heater, a faucet, cleaned the yard... I spent half the day cleaning the fridge and letting my OCD go wild. It was yum!

      Delete
  2. I am SOOOOO excited for you both!!!...and all that history in one building...with more to be added :D Will you be calling it Tory, as in HisTory rather than vicTorian? :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just giggled! We haven't named it yet, but hey, Tory sounds good. Gina, I can't wait for you to see some of the pics, and to hear some of our ides... you will love it.

      Jacob just said, "not just 'history' but also conservatory, laboratory, factory..."

      Delete
  3. *So* cool! Will you be insulating & 'going green' (heating, lighting, etc.) as well? Heh....fairly shortly, Sarah Graves 'Home Repair is Homicide' mystery series may have a much deeper resonance with you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to insulate the second floor and the attic (which will be half witchy room and part of the greenhouse--in time, of course) I need to check Graves' books. I can't believe I haven't. I LOVE her name!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I can't wait to see this! Both the before and the after. Sounds like a unique and fascinating building with a lot of stories to tell. And you and jacob will make many more stories there too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there will be a lot of doing and kissing and we plan on telling ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you'll be very creative and inventive -- post lots of before and after photos too, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacob is drawing the plans for a wire tree, which I'm almost sure you'll love. I'm carving a bee ;-)

      I promise to share lots of pictures!

      Delete
  6. I'm relatively new to your adventures, but I've been hooked since the day I found this blog. I just want to say that your deep joy and soul deep happiness shines through every word you write about being back with your Jacob. I am happy for you.

    I look forward to seeing the pictures as your restoration (in more ways than one?) progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, JD. It is sooo good to have you. I'm glad to see you hooked (I shall come visit soon).

      Delete
  7. This is going to be so exciting!! I can't wait to see everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely stop jumping around. By the way, there is the beginning of a stone patio that reminded me of your garden ;-)

      Delete
  8. LIKE. You lucky lucky Witch. I look forward to your Upcycling Tales and share your renovation lust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE. I feel LUCKY every second of the day. Right now he is feeding me rice crispy treats (at 1:30am) while I type. He wants me to finish soon so that we can shower. Life couldn't be better, Sarah. Not even if I had written it myself ;-)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you're building your own sanctuary.....how blissful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll get here in time. Right now, I swear like we are playing house. Everything is a bit of a mess and we giggle and tickle each other as we clean, organize and repair. It is blissful indeed ;-)

      Delete
  10. this all sounds so exciting!! can't wait to see all you do!! stay happy!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. I can't wait until we are a bit more organized, so that I can start working on the bird skeleton I told you about.

      Delete
  11. Still so happy for you, and you know what would be a great edition to the house? A work of art. As my house warming gift to you you can pick out any photo in my Etsy shop and I'll send it as a gift, that's how happy I am for you =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is too sweet of you, Amanda. What a lovely thing to do. I shall tell Jacob all about it, and we'll stop by and pick something. Yay!

      Delete
    2. Um... got so excited that forgot to say thanks lol

      Delete
    3. No problem I was happy to see you be happy about it. Email me at faeriemommy{at}gmail.com which one and the info. =]

      Delete
  12. Wow, that sounds exciting! Good luck with the whole progress! I've seen my sister and her husband re-store a whole house once, it was tons of work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooo much work. We spent the last four days doing things (and doing it *tee hee*) and my gods, we are sooo tired today. We'll be moving, for good, in two weeks, I get tired just thinking about it. But the work is such a blast. I love seeing him evidence of us all over the house. And not just DNA evidence ;-)

      Delete
  13. Oh I am so excited to watch this unfold! I'm always lusting after old buildings with character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this one has all kinds of character, and when we are done with it it will have multiple personality, too lol

      Delete
  14. Oh how exciting!! *hugs* I'm so happy for you - there's nothing better than having your very own space. I just so happen to be a certified interior designer - if you ever want to bounce ideas off someone, feel free. I would love to help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were an interior designer. No wonder Pagan Living is so pleasing to the eyes, the brain and the heart ;-)

      Delete
  15. True love always finds a way .... and so too, beautiful dreams that were meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe. I've witnessed. And now, I can trust with proof ;-)

      Delete