It Rubs the Lotion on the Skin, or Else I’ll Drink Beer until It Screams


Sheffield’s Beer and Wine Garden: Serious about Beer. Flexible about Table Manners. And ingenious enough to understand that The Silence of the Lambs is one of those tasty Halloween treats, which some of us want to enjoy year, after year, after year…

I just love how the All Hallow’s Eve season takes different yummy freakiness, mixes them up, and turns the concoction into a party. Last Sunday, the festivity took the shape of beers and a movie. Yep, I had the pleasure of watching The Silence of the Lambs while sipping Vida y Muerte (life and death) beer, a special brew created by 5 Rabbit Brewery in honor of the Day of the Dead.

I’m no beer drinker—unless I’m dancing—but one of the brew’s ingredients is dulce de leche, so as you might be imagining I was more than ready to down a few glasses. Then I didn’t. Not because the beer was bad; on the contrary, it was dark, tasty, and full of substance. However, in all my beer-drinking witlessness, I kind of expected to find chunks of caramel and get lost in a delicious sugar high *sigh*

No worries though, for I was able to get drunk in the movie watchers’ reactions to the insane but charming Dr. Hannibal “the Cannibal” Lecter, and the other creepy and extremely crafty characters in the film. And, my gods, the comments people made while watching the psycho-thriller were priceless.

There was the occasional “Don’t do it!” “He’s going to kill you” “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” and the most curious (and totally amazing response) was a silent gesture: when Miggs, one of Lecter’s criminally insane roomies, flings a handful of sperm at Clarice’s face, a girl sitting close to me reached up and wiped her own clean cheek; her expression was loaded with disgust and fear. I’m not sure what her reaction did to me. Maybe it made me feel bad that she felt the violation so deeply. Also, it made me wonder about how fiction affects some people’s reality…

So, this Halloween season, I’ve sipped Vida y Muerte beer, watched fictitious murder, and observed real-life trepidation. What have you been doing, my Wicked Darlings? And more important, what else are you planning to do before October 31st?

If you got here via Lyn’s The Real Witches of Halloween 2012 Blog Tour, and are wondering why today’s post seems to fly a bit on the un-witchy side, I should probably point out that the real Witches of Halloween—at least this Witch—enjoys the wilder side of diversity ;-)
via here and here
For a hardy laugh, you must listen to this. It’s freaking hysterical… and deliciously creepy.


Share |

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great evening. And I'll have to watch the video when I have a better internet connection...

    As for what I'm doing before Samhain? I intend to carve a pumpkin or two. Hopefully with my boyfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers. I hope you and your boyfriend carve a lovely work of freaky art ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yep! That was a creepy video....mwahahaha :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the video several times and couldn't stop laughing (and kind of worrying about the person who put it together lol). Funny and freaky: my favorites ;-)

      Delete
  3. You know I have never watched that movie..don't know why...just haven't. Hmmmmm!
    Maybe I am afraid too! Ha!
    (she laughs nervously) I am still a fan of the old classics...with Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price and the like. The Pit and the Pendulum. Yikes!!
    Right now I am preparing for the art show on Nov.3rd!! No time to celebrate one of my favorite holidays.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the old classics. There is nothing funnier (in a scary sort of way) than all those pretty ladies running for their lives and the dramatic expressions in their huge eyes. LOVE it ;-)

      Great luck in your art show!

      Delete
  4. I only ever saw Silence of the Lambs once... at the cinema. I still remember it vividly! I don't watch horror often but when I do, it usually sticks in my mind for decades.

    This Halloween we have to travel during the late afternoon so we're doing things a bit different and going to burial mounds on our way home instead (weather permitting). I'll be bringing the mead and hopefully the dearly departed with be bringing the conversation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you find at the burial mounds you visit. I hope the weather does permit and that you take some awesome pics ;-)

      Delete
  5. The life and death beer sounds REALLY yummy. Lots of calories I suppose, but jeesh, sometimes it's worth it, eh? Never saw Silence of the Lambs. I picked up the book once but it was just too intense for moi. The scariest book I've read in recent years is Steven King's 'Cell'. Hope you are having a great week, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear the beer is so thick that you can feel the calories sliding down your throat lol but it was worth every mile you'd have to run next. I've read The Silence of the Lambs a few times. I'm pretty sure I was way too young the first time I read it, but I must say that it was what got me interested in Social Psychology and Criminology--I wanted to know what made a person go 'so wrong.'

      I know exactly what you mean about "Cell." I was so upset with the movie, it showed so little of the terrifying goodness of the book.

      Delete
  6. I know some stories touch me deeply, and not always in a good way. My mood can be swayed, especially when the heroine in the story is victimized in the story. Ultimately it can be a happy ending, but sometimes there's still a price for that. And if done right, I can be lifted up by a light and happy tale...or at least quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I love when the really scary people/characters have a sense of humor. It is what I like about Hannibal. I doubt that if the terror was just raw I would enjoy the movie as much. It is the reason why I care little about slasher flicks. All that blood and guts without substance just bores me after a while.

      Delete
  7. ((yikes...i'm way behind...life has been too hectic...trying to do a little catch up this morn...)

    MY favorite time of year too...AND my bestest 'holiday', ALL Hallow's Eve!!
    i'm not a beer drinker either...not my first alcoholic choice...BUT it does go good with pizza.
    i loive a good horror movie...not the slash 'em up for no good reason movies (ha)...but the dark and really frightening ones...OOoooooooooh!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I feel about beer. I don't like it as much, but it taste sooo damn good after I've ran a few miles or danced for a few hours.

      I don't care for slasher that just focus on blood without reasons. I find them boring. But psycho-thrillers? Oh my, I'm all for them ;-)

      Delete
  8. See, for me, I don't consider Silence of the Lambs to be a horror film. It's more of a murder mystery/Criminal Minds sort of thing. Now I'm left to wonder how they introduced Dulce de Leche into the beer so that it doesn't separate. On a related note, I plan on making some of that lovely caramelly goodness in the slow cooker this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right with you. There is a huge difference between horror and terror and even a bigger difference between horror and psychological thrillers with mystery in them. I prefer the latter every time.

      Maybe you should check out their website. The guy was very nice and he said some things about how the beer was made, but I don't remember exactly what. I can tell you that the taste was very subtle, you almost had to look for it, and then there it was... and the color? Beautiful.

      Hm, I might have to make some caramelly goodness myself. Maybe you'll share the recipe?

      Delete
  9. http://fromscratchclub.com/2012/09/17/food-swap-recipe-slow-cooker-dulce-de-leche/ The one genre of movie I refuse to watch is a gorefest/slasher. Waste of my time if the 'writer'/producers can't even come up with a decent script!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfounded "gorefest/slasher" movies have never done it for me. A good plot with body parts sent everywhere, will keep me glue to whatever medium offering it. But stuff without substance just infuriates me.

      Delete