In the Eyes of Experience and Imagination


“What does it mean, Daddy?” Eager to the point of rapture, and convinced that everything could be made better if she just consider it for a wee while, young Imagination pointed at The Great Seal.

“It’s a symbol, love,” said Experience, ruffling his favorite daughter’s wild curls.

“I know that, Daddy,” Imagination made a face that suggested she was well acquainted with all the secrets of the cosmos, “but what does it mean to you?”

“Different things at different times and through different people’s eyes, I guess.” Experience smiled on his child. “It depends on the beholder, love. That’s what makes symbols so useful and unique. Their meanings lie in the eye of the one who accepts the vision and its undertaking.”

“Then, I want it to mean anything that makes people happier, freer, and more themselves.” Imagination crossed her fluid arms and stare at The Great Seal with intent.

Experience embraced Imagination and shined smiles of hope. The thoughts his daughter planned to put in the minds of men, filled him with bliss and with brighter tomorrows.”
via
(If I had been the one to choose the symbol, it would look more like this one.
The actual seal has always look like an all seeing tomb to me.) 
 Tess, over at Magpie Tales, gave us the Great Seal of the United States (below) as inspiration to write a poem and a bit of flash fiction... As soon as I saw it, I thought about how a conversation between Experience and Imagination would go.What would they tell each other about The Seal? I asked myself. What would they think about a symbol that asks providence to smile upon all our undertakings? What do you think, my Luvs?
via Magpie Tales 140

Share |

24 comments:

  1. I think your words give great hope! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful thing to say. And such a great dream ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think Experience did a fabulous job of raising Imagination with freedom and love.....this is just beautiful Ms. Magaly.
    Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagination without freedom is not only pointless, but also cruel. Imagine the pain... Actually, I guess some of us--you, in particular, my creative one--don't have to imagine it at all.

      Delete
  3. Creative and bold--it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved bold. I'm glad you think so ;-)

      Delete
  4. wow this is intensely full of thought. the perspective switch... man im gonna sit and think about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do share your thoughts after you are done pondering on "the perspective switch" ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love your explanation of the Great Seal...and the pic is fabulous. Good one sweetie....love it
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great piece, isn’t it? I’ve been looking for more information on it, but haven’t been exactly successful. The colors and the eclectic shapes are enthralling… way more meaningful than the “original,” I think.

      Delete
  6. I think that is a conversation well worth having. The idea of hope emanating from the seal, rather than conspiracy, is quite refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Seal does inspire suspicion, doesn't it? There is something confrontational about the words that come with it. And the ever-watching eye makes me think of 1984 lol

      Delete
  7. I think that is one amazing piece of writing, Magaly. Sent chills up and down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your words have put a huge smile on my face ;-)

      Delete
  8. I think this is very beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagination seems to look really good when paired up with experience, doesn't it? It remind me of a goddess and her crows ;-)

      Delete
  9. Oh yeah, love this flight of tasty thought goodness & fantasy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of magical realistic, and quite possible, exchanges... it makes me want to write conversations after conversations between those concepts we rarely think about as sentient ;-)

      Delete
  10. What I think is that I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is good enough for me ;-)

      Delete
  11. You rock the world! Excellent piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be doing to rocking ;-)

      Delete
  12. OMG!!! It blew my mind. Magaly, this is so beautiful and profound. A must-share-with-the-world piece. Warmest hugs, my wicked love, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think so alike, my Mina, that many times I wonder if we are more than sisters by choice!

      By the way, if your ears have been ringing lately, don't panic. It is just me talking about how great you are ;-)

      Delete