Home Is Where the Witch Is


I’m on the road at the moment, which explains why I’m posting my contribution for The Bewitching Home blog party a day early—I don’t know how often I will be able to access the internet in the next couple of weeks. While planning the trip, I began to recall the many years I celebrated All Hallow’s Eve on the go; specifically while training in the woods, or at the rifle range, or holding the hand of a patient at a hospital, or waiting for the full report of a service member’s death… pretty much, not at a place anyone could call home.

So how did I acknowledge the Witches’ New Year, a holiday that is all about family and tradition, while home was just a place I yearned for? I did it small and creatively, of course.

There were times when all I had with me was, well, me. In preparation for such occasions, the first thing I did when I got to a new place was research the native plants. That way, if I got stuck in the woods and I wanted to do, let’s say, a cleansing ritual, I could seek assistance from the local greenery. I’ve done everything from moon bathing to cleansing chants, but I do prefer my herbs and my oils when it comes to self-purification.

On very lucky instances, I was able to have thirteen minutes of privacy. After stripping out of my uniform, I would use a bit of oil (my favorites are lavender, rosemary, and lemon) to draw pentacles on the top of my feet, knees, the back of my hands, forehead, breasts, navel, and on my center. Then I would rub my hands together, kiss my palms, and press them gently to the ground for a few seconds.

If I had enough time, and the place allowed it, I would stay skyclad for a while, lie on my back with my eyes closed, and thank the universe for the past years and for the ones to come.

This simple purification ritual can be done with anything. With herbs, with water from a stream, with rainwater; more than once, I used a ring to draw the pentacles. This year, my traveling pack contains some sage I got from Stacy, a black and red candle I got from Sandi, lavender oil I got from a sweet Irish priestess I met a few weeks ago, and a wee pinecone I’ve had for years (I will tell you the tale of the pine that birthed it one of these days. It’s freaking hilarious and a bit sad, but mostly hysterical).

Everything in life, All Hallow’s Eve included, is enjoyed best while in familiar places and in the arms of love. But whenever the wheel turns while I’m out and about, I don’t despair. I know love lives in my heart’s hearth, and home is where my witchy soul is.

Tomorrow, visit The Witch of the Howling Creek and enjoy The Bewitching Home party.
I will be flying around, too, cackling, creating mayhem, and eating all the yummy foods. 

And if you haven’t yet, why not join All Hallow’s Grim 2012: The Darker Side of Faerie?

***
Thematic Photographic 216: “Fall Colors

***
. . . because real Witches know the importance of being able to do it wherever they happen to be

51 comments:

  1. I really liked how you described the purification ritual. I'd love to try, i Love oils! My favourite are Sandal, Lavender too, Lemon Grass.It's a good thought to create home whenever you are and your energy is...i must try it as I feel low at times being in a far country. Thanks, Magaly! Have a blessed trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also enchanted by Sandalwood. The smoky and musky scent... I can be surrounded by for hours. I hope you try the ritual, if you do let me know. I would love to know how it made you feel ;-)

      Delete
    2. I will try it...just give me tips how to do. or I guess it doesn't have any rules actually. will let you know!!!

      Delete
    3. The most wonderful thing about rituals--I believe--is that each of us makes them magical by doing them in our own way. I'm sure that your heart will tell you what it needs. I can't wait to see what you come with and how it leaves you feeling!

      Delete
    4. Well,to tell the truth, I tried may be about a week ago... it was great and a little strange to me, i have never done this before. the only thing is that i couldn't free my mind completely. i felt nice and some energy was coming through my body. i want to do it again...

      Delete
  2. That was lovely. Home is where the heart is:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it with all my soul. I think so many of us go around feeling lost because we attribute home to a building and not to the people, the relationships, and the feelings that come out of the two ;-)

      Delete
  3. Have a great trip...be safe!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SueAnn luv. I'll try to stay dry and responsible... maybe ;-)

      Delete
  4. I've never had a private enough place or been bold enough to go sky clad outside, though I think it would be a very freeing ritual. You described yours beautifully. :) I agree home is where the heart is and you don't need a lot of Pagan paraphernalia to accomplish your goals. Natures bounty will suffice if you know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is freeing indeed. Have you ever tried doing it in the tub? I've done it even in the shower. It is a good idea to brew the herbs and just pour the warm potion over your body with a cup. It feels like everything is just going away ;-)

      Delete
    2. Sure I often do cleansing rituals in the shower or bath. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, there is your skyclad time lol

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post about being in the moment and not needing much to be spiritually and witchily reverant and sacred. I love the thought of you flying around, cackling and creating mayhem--that is the perfect image!!! Be safe in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seem the thunder is stealing, well, my thunder. It's fine though. I'm sitting in the middle of five windows and I get to see the water whip the trees (helped by the wind) while thunder sings. I guess thunder can have its moment ;-)

      Delete
  6. Yes Magaly, please be safe. I'm trying to get caught up on my blog reading so this will be good for me because i won't have to rush anything. Thanks for explaining the cleansing ritual. Everything you explain helps me understand so much better. Enjoy this witchy month!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so behind, Francie, that I'm almost sure I won't be halfway by the time you finish *sigh* but I'll try.

      I'm glad you're seeing things about witchery and spirituality in general, which you hadn't seen before. Pagan Culture is doing what it's supposed to and I'm loving it ;-)

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your travels, Magaly, and safe journeys to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be safe and do a little dance for you. Wait until you see the gigantic bee I photographed for you!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful post Magaly....hope my parcel makes it through customs ok, as I added a little box of greenery from my garden for your rituals :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will make it here *okay, fingers crossed* I will tell you as soon as I return to NY. I hope the mummy didn't eat any of it ;-)

      Delete
  9. Safe & swift travels! One day, I hope that you use the story of the pinecone as jumping off point for an eerie Halloween tale (with just enough laughter to make it memorable ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that pinecone has one of the most hilarious tales I've ever lived. It was part drama, part romantic comedy, part thriller, part horror, and all exasperation. It was a hoot! And, of course, I must tell it... soon ;-)

      Delete
  10. Travel safely. Blessings, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dearest, Oma. Wish me luck to catch up, too ;-)

      Delete
  11. Have a safe trip and a wonderful All Hallow's Eve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Judy. The same to you. I shall be back at full speed before All Hallow's Eve. We need to party on the 25th!

      Delete
  12. I think this is so beautiful and so special ;o) Safe travels my friend ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy to write, so I'm glad you liked it. Bit hugs right back at you, and thanks for the sweet wishes ;-)

      Delete
  13. I had no idea you were (are) in the service. Safe travels and we'll "see" you at All Hallow's Grim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in for about a decade. It was an interesting time filled with learning experiences that will never go away.

      I'll see you at All Hallow's Grim indeed!

      Delete
  14. Love this post Magaly! So beautifully written, as always. Be safe on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed, Kourtney. Thanks for the wishes ;-)

      Delete
  15. I love the idea about the plants and then thanking the earth for them! May your travels be safe and bring you home to lots of beautiful things.

    The Year of the Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think that the best way to make friends with the energies of a strange land is to know the vegetation. The greenery has been there longer than most, you know?

      Delete
  16. Safe journeys Darling! I love your sentiment here. Magic is wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is, too. Energy exist alone, but when a Witch takes the energy and weaves it, the results are indeed magical ;-)

      Delete
  17. Great post - yes beautiful actually, know you could make your home anywhere as long as you can touch the earth, view the stars & find time for a ritual (or 2), travel happy Ms Wickedness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe you are back. I've been doing Stacy's happy dance. I can't wait to have some more time to email you and bring you up to day.

      Delete
  18. Safe travel in all of your journeys.
    Blessings.
    ~Naila Moon

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/day-13scary-movies-or-oh-horror.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naila. The same right back at you!

      Delete
  19. very beautiful...we can stay in touch with the earth where ever we are...be safe out there. have a wickedly wonderful month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always remembers, doesn't she? She was there for our first step and will hold our bodies after we take our last. Who better than she to celebrate spirituality with?

      Delete
  20. Oh Magaly, this is such a beautiful post. I LOVE your ritual and wish to use it for myself this year. This is a cleansing that is so pure and mystical I feel it through your words and imagery. Thank you for sharing with us and be safe on your travels. Warmest hugs, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please use it, for that will make me extra happy. It would be as if we were doing the ritual together. Just imagine the energy. If you do it, let me know. I would love to hear how it made you feel ;-)

      Delete
  21. I need a purification ritual. Badly. I think that's my task for Hallowmass Eve. Except the skyclad part. Texas is having a helluva time with west nile and skeetos right now.

    Did I mention the skeetos down here are big enough to eat hay and pull a plow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to mix something for you...

      Oh, and you should start domesticating them lol

      Delete
  22. This is lovely and I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by sooner! It's so true - sometimes we have to make home wherever we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late. I'm glad you got to stop by. I will probably spend quite a bit of time visiting party posts. I haven't been the best partier ;-)

      Delete