Just Because Your Worldview Isn’t Wide Enough to Cover the Tiniest Side of a Stale Mustard Seed, Doesn’t Mean Other Souls Can’t Dance to the Beat of Their Own Hearts


Nothing makes me growl and bare teeth faster than the sight of narrow-mindedness. Thank goodness that for every brain that willingly rejoices in the stinky bosom of stagnation, there is a wild heart ever-refusing to be touched or brought down by its diseased stench.

I might be one of the most stubborn individuals sucking on Mother Nature’s sweet breath at the moment. I’ve always let my heart walk in front of me, pulling me by the sleeves; showing the world that when I love, I love hard, and that my ways will be chosen by me. But my brain knows better than to choose blindly. I understanding that the world is a mysterious place, and that rushing forward like a raging lunatic can eventually drown me in silliness.

I know, I know, I need to stop metaphoring around and get to the point. My apologies; I needed to gather my thoughts first. Here is a bit about what has rattled my witchy heart:

Self-Appointed Jesus Spokeswoman: “I don’t understand why promiscuity and the inability to stay in a lifelong relationship were removed from Hare’s Psychopathy Checklist.”

Me (instincts stuck somewhere between growling and puking on my former colleague’s shiny mental health counselor’s shoes): “Is that a real question?”

She gave me one of those looks that said: Of course it’s a real question. You well know that I’m incapable of thinking and speaking at the same time. It’s dangerous for the wellbeing of my stupidity.

I blinked a few times, reminding myself that baring teeth to show displeasure might not be the best way to start discussing an issue as important as individuality, reality, and the fact that the world is made of all kinds of people who live at their own speed and under their own beliefs.

Me: “How long have you been in your current relationship?”

Self-Appointed Jesus Spokeswoman: “I’m not seeing anyone at the moment. Helping others find the way and spreading the word of my Lord Jesus is a full time job.” *pleasant smile*

Me (Perhaps a little meaner than necessary, but hey, a witchy woman does what she must, right?):“Maybe you should allow Jesus’ actions speak for him for a while. That way you can spend some of your time with a partner. I’m almost sure that having a relationship with someone other than a deity will help you see that people come in all kinds of flavors.”

Self-Appointed Jesus Spokeswoman: “I have meaningful relationships with diverse groups. Twenty-eight people on my caseload, remember?” *not so pleasant smile*

Me (Trying to conceal my disbelief, but probably failing): “Client/counselor relationships can be meaningful, but they will never—they should never!—be anything like what you can share with a romantic partner or even a close friend. It would not only be illegal, but also it wouldn’t be the same thing. You can’t understand the dynamics of all relationships by examining someone else’s problems.”

The conversation went on and on and on. By the time we circled back to why the Hare’s Psychopathy Checklist no longer includes marital issues or what some groups define as promiscuity to make assessments, she had stopped listening to me and was ranting about how “hell is full of people who think they know everything.”

I almost told her that I hoped the administrators of her Know-It-All-Hell kingdom saved her a cool place, but I didn’t say anything. I was feeling too sorry for her and her delusions to relish in the fact that if her suppositions were accurate, then she would spend eternity wishing for a glass of cool common sense, air-conditioning, and second chances.

That exchange took place at the beginning of the summer, while I attended a Psychology of Violence workshop. It seemed that whenever we discussed extreme criminal behavior (i.e. a sadistic rapist abused and murdered a prepubescent girl, or James Holmes shooting down a movie theater crowd) someone would say something about how the actions “would fit in God’s plans.” In the same way, when an individual was resilient and fought genetics, social status, gender, and everything you can think of and did well in life even when circumstances were less than favorable, the same group of people would say that “God is very powerful and there is proof of his work.”

Both statements were usually received with nods, and perhaps some thoughts of amén. I understand that, for belief is a very powerful thing. This is what I don’t get—actually, I do. I just wish that someone could explain how people can rationalize this:
You would think that in a society that claims to believe in an all mighty power, a person will be exulted when she says, “I’d been spiritually dead for quite a while, so when the Hindu goddess, Saraswati came to me one night I couldn’t have been more surprised… She had planted a seed of Compassion, of Hope, of Understanding...LOVE.”

Um, no, my Luvs, as Sarah’s post, “Your Deity Has The Wrong Name,” explains how all gods are not created equal (in the eyes of some, at least). When a friend of hers, who has been writing a book on faith, asked her for her testimony, Sarah was happy to give it. She got this in return: “I have a small dilemma. The publisher stated that they are having difficulty moving forward with it’s publication because of your mentioned ‘saving’ by Saraswati and not God. Just as I respect all faiths, I respect their opinions. So, with a heavy heart I am going to ask you to let me ‘tweak’ it and remove the Saraswati part.”

I would love to say that I was surprised, but I’ve been there and the t-shirt still smells of bullshit. In fact, any Witch or other persons who choose to live by their own hearts and let other people do the same know that what happened to Sarah is somewhat the norm.

So why am I sharing a story that might be as common as white bread? Well, because it isn’t. Every person makes their tale special, and Sarah’s response to the writer’s request is deliciously hers.

Today, I celebrate the Autumn Equinox and “dance to [the beat of the] spiritual freedom, self-respect, and honesty” of my dear friend, Sarah.
Sacred things don’t always look alike, but when put side to side, their grins are quite similar.
Yes, this fall, my altar welcomes The Crone Goddess, Old Man Death, Wicked (the angel with the impish grin), a ginormous oak leave… and the pink night-gowned witchy woman who forgot she was taking a photo in front of a mirror. Smile, my Luvs, life is to be lived. Oh, and do enjoy all the shadows and weird halos ;-)

Share |

40 comments:

  1. Gosh! have you been holding this in all year? Well purged :D ...and I do hope your friend Sarah had ALL her words, and name removed from that book draft. It's bad enough not being allowed a voice, without having your words "tweaked" to empower someone else's faith issues :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When something makes me really, really, really upset, I don't blog about it right away. I usually burn when I'm mad, so my words come out on fire. There is no need for that, so I wait until the flames cool a bit and I can discuss the issue in a objective manner, hence the wait.

      Sarah did exactly what you said she should, and she did it well. I'm extremely proud of her. The idea of someone "tweaking" anyone's experiences to make it fit their own beliefs of what the world should be like makes me want to explode.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, all the meditation in the world can't make me stop thinking how much i would like to punch some people in the face! But hey, enlightment does n't come in a day,right?
    I hope you had a wonderful Mabon!
    Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GreekWitch, I know exactly what you mean. As you can see this happened quite a while back, I needed all that time to be able to talk about this without throwing punching words.

      Hope your Autumn Equinox brought you a bounty you love ;-)

      Delete
  3. What can I say!! Tis sad for sure...and spreads rampant throughout the land. Sigh!
    My heart is sad that there is so many judgmental people spewing their "religion"...this is not mine!!! Not even close.
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SueAnn, you and Francie, and Penny, and many others, are the people who give me hope every day when it comes to the fact that goodness doesn't discriminate. It would be wonderful if the world was inhabited by more souls that reflected your colors.

      Hugging you right back ;-)

      Delete
  4. "she would spend eternity wishing for a glass of cool common sense, air-conditioning, and second chances" -- hahahaha, brilliant, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite brilliant, you know? And modest, too ;-)

      Delete
  5. “hell is full of people who think they know everything.” and she didn't see the irony of this statement? no, of course not. how boring things would be if we were all the same. but I guess some people would like it since they won't be challenged in any way. and promiscuity a marker for mental illness? I bet it only applied to women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Ellen. Men are just being men, didn't you know? Women are the only ones being promiscuous when they have many relationships.

      All right, maybe that is a bit harsh, but it has been true to many times. And don't even get me started about the things that were considered mental disorders (or signs of mental disorders) in the pasts, for they show just how ridiculous society can be. I guess I should think about the fact that we are getting a bit better, huh?

      Delete
  6. There is such wisdom in your response to this "event". Waiting to gather your thoughts when they are not red hot shows such inner strength. Your reaction to said "stupid person" also shows patience...I would have eaten my tongue. The older I get the less patience I have for ugliness in any form. I am so proud of you and your abilities.
    As to the editing of true experience. oh hell's bells. Hope your friend Sarah was able to come away from such a slap in the face with more knowledge that folks are fools. XOXO Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so patient all the time *sigh* there have been times when I just think and shoot and what comes out is quite harsh, but that's life, right?

      Sarah made us proud by telling that lady thanks, but no thanks ;-)

      Delete
  7. Ah, well, Sarah missed the little word in parentheses, didn't she? The writer is putting together a book on (christian) Faith. I no longer make that mistake. Instead, when someone labels themselves as a 'Person of Faith', I assume that to mean 'If you're not conservative/bornagain Christian you have no faith, so I will do my best to legally impose mine'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty sad deal when certain Christians act that way. I know many decent, fun, and rather intelligent Christians (Francie, SueAnn, half of the Texan Zombie Goddess, my big brother...) but there are so many who are terribly blind that it makes me want to hurl. You are right, when discussing things, we should call them by their names. But I think that we (and by we I mean me) remember about the ones who are good and awesome and how bad they would feel bunched up with such ignorant filth.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad I live in a country that allows me to choose not to be a part of narrowmindedness....though it is still hard sometimes to avoid the verbal stones cast as much as actual ones....

    Your friend, Sarah, sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel blessed because of the same thing, although some times people care little about the laws they don't agree with and try to push their own agendas and beliefs down other people's throats anyway.

      Sarah is "awesome" indeed, and her words taste delicious. You should try them ;-)

      Delete
  9. I'm just going to sit on my lips, my tongue firmly held in my place by my teeth, while I wonder why individuals like the Self-Appointed Jesus Spokeswoman are allowed any vocal capacity at all. She is the bad apple that makes others who are Christian look like fools and cause others to think that they are. Meh.

    Sarah, on the other hand, is amazing.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just talked about you in a comment above, and of my brother, people who follow the Christian faith in their own way, who feel Jesus with the knowledge of their own heart without trying to step on everybody else's soul to find redemption. I'm sorry that you have to put up with the fact that your path is littered with this type of garbage. But that's true of every faith and every belief system, so I guess you are not alone. That doesn't help much, I guess, huh?

      Delete
  10. Oh my Gods, Magaly! You made me cry and truly overwhelmed me with this post, my dear Sweet. Thank you so so much, and any time you wanna send me your Self-Appointed Jesus Spokeswoman, I'll take care of her for you! Hugs Hugs and Kisses and a wild, erratic Dance of Self-Respect, and Spiritual Equality, and JOY!
    Bright Blessings Beautiful Witches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they were tears of joy. I've always loved your words and your spirit and felt a little selfish having it all to myself. Also, like I said when I read the post in question, there are so many out there who can benefit from your words. The world is a huge place with insane people who fight to put even huger burdens on our spiritual shoulders, if we share the load with a few, it doesn't feel like so much. And it gives us the strength we need to hurl the unwanted negativity right at the sender's face ;-)

      We shall dance, and let Earth Mother (and everyone else) feel our presence, our determination, and the hum of a chant that says: we aren't going anywhere, we aren't going anywhere...

      Delete
  11. I just tossed a glass into the sink in anger after I read that last bit about Sarah. It broke. I do that when something angers me to the point of wishing my sink was someone's skull. I hope she didn't give them permission to remove Saraswati. I would have told her to go to hell and I would have given her exact directions for getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better get some plastic plates because the way the world is today makes me believe that you'll run out of china before the outrage goes away lol.

      I believe your bit about giving the lady direction, most times when I want to tell someone to shove it, I channel you ;-)

      Delete
  12. I could write a book just on this one blog, Magaly!! No, no, I could write a book just on the Title. I want to own that title! More than just read it. I want to put it on my bookshelf and pull it out every so often and smile!! I have a very hard time accepting the dark side of things. Very very hard. I see God as a circle divided into 4 equal parts, the male, the female, the light, the dark.
    But I'm not very good at accepting and confronting the dark. When I saw the photo of your alter I had one of those aha moments - not that I understand it yet, but I'm la tiny bit ess afraid of the dark than I was - I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time (my early teenage years) when I thought of Christians as a very ugly group of people who didn't care for anyone else but themselves and those they believe deserved to be included. Then slowly, very slowly, I vegan to understand that not every Christian was the same. That some were wonderful, like you. That I had many misconceptions put in front of my young eyes by the ugly majority. I opened my eyes and then I opened them again, since then, I've made many friends: Christians, Buddhists, Atheists, Belly Dancers, Biologists... yep, in the end, we are all the same people who happen to have different interests. Some of us are rotten, others a bit less, some see light in the darkness, others cover the light with the darkness millennia of dogma has put in front of their eyes. Slowly, we can all walk through it, and see each other face to face. Find out that we might be different, but still rather beautiful ;-)

      Delete
  13. I hope her god saves her a cool place.

    Loved that bit.

    I would never have the patience to ever get into another convo like that.

    People like theological chest beating much more than a frank Exchange of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people can't help the "theological chest beating." Imagine leaving in a world surrounded by people who according to your belief system were destined to burn in an eternal pit of suffering. Imagine some of those people were your friends. It's a very difficult think to imagine, but if I believed that, I, too, would probably try to save a few souls.

      Delete
  14. Your fall altar is beautiful! I love the grins ;o) Yeh, to your friend Sarah ;o) Great post Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at the altar right now. Old Man Death is grinning at me. There is also a crow and a candle looking my way ;-)

      Delete
  15. Like your original statement ~ I think the only concept that makes any of this bearable is "that for every..." concept. Just so long as we're not living exclusively in the world of the close minded. Again, it only makes this bearable ~ tolerable no, bearable.... a very hesitant 'yes'.
    Thanks for sharing ~ always great to know we're not alone on this planet.
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things now a days are just bearable. I can't wait for the time when we don't have to bear that kind of stupidity in our lives, but it might not be during our lifetime, so we'll just do what we can now, right?

      Delete
  16. It is such a hard thing to deal with... The small minded, you can't fight them, hence the meaning of small minded... For me i just try not to get in discussions with them, it's hard, especially when you have to physically be around them for one reason or another, it's toxic at times. .... I do love your altar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It is almost impossible to fight the self-righteous without cutting them open and showing them their rotting innards. Sometimes is best to ignore them, but not all. For if we did, then the entire world would be overran by madness.

      I'm kind of loving my altar, too ;-)

      Delete
  17. Just now discovered your wonderful blog - Color me so pleased to meet you . . . (and just FYI - "Sara" has been a companion as long as i can remember - so, thank you especially for giving her mention in time for my first - of many - visit)

    -g-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Maggid (love your name, how do you pronounce it?) I hope you find lost of yumminess at Pagan Culture. Sarah is a special soul indeed, and someone who enriches the lives of others just by being herself. A great friend to have.

      I shall stop by your cyber home and see what you are up to ;-)

      Delete
  18. How annoying! How can you possibly think you know everything when you are barely living life? I don't care what religion you practice, if you make it your everything, you are missing the point of being here. When the wind blows, when the thunderstorm rolls through, when the snow falls, I think of what a miracle it is to have this living, breathing planet here taking care of us, what a miracle and we all get to share it. But no, please get on your (speaker to her not you lol) high horse and make everyone else miserable. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I don't care what religion you practice, if you make it your everything, you are missing the point of being here." These words should be printed on something very durable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't you just want to look at these people straight in the eye and say, "Are ya stupid???" You handled this wonderfully, as always and your amazing articulation of the conversation and your thoughts sing to my own witchy soul. I love your altar AND your pink nightie. Hugs, sweetie! Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I can take it because I'm wondering about something else. Like, "How can someone be so full of crap and not choke on their own stench?" Some people are rotten.

      Delete
  21. Hello Sister, I have been reading your post and I am embarrassed by Self Appointed Jesus Spokesman, in behalf of my ignorant comrade I would ask for forgiveness. I am a follower of Jesus Christ myself but unlike many who have misunderstood his message, "the truth shall set you free" I take it to heart that He has already paid the price and freed us to light and knowledge to live like the God's, please keep in mind He did say "few be there that find it." Jesus also warned that they have not understood the scriptures and they would change the new and everlasting covenant, and they have. I would very much like to hear back from you. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kingi, I couldn't agree more. I would ask you not to feel ashamed because of your sister in faith, but I know how that goes--family has that power over us. I'm right with you when it comes to Jesus. I believe he would probably shake his head a few times after hearing the people who trying putting words into his mouth, and those who act ridiculous--even cruel--in his name.

      Delete