Clad in Nothing but Summer and Smiles


Yes, when I was little, I wanted to be a big-haired, male feline alien who ran around in a leotard, screaming, “Thunder, thunder, ThunderCats. Oooh!” while pointing an imaginary sword at the sky. I never got the Sword of Omens’ promised “sight beyond sight,” but the huge hair has always been mine.

Here are a few other Magaly bits from an interview, which I thought you might enjoy reading:

1. Tell us a little about your blog and/or your writing career. I left my native country, Dominican Republic, when I was sixteen. After high school in New York, came college, next was a decade of United States Marine Corps service, followed by some nonprofit work, and then back to my first love—words. I love to read them, to write them, and to make them speak to people’s souls in brand new ways.

2. Out of all the charities and causes to champion, what is the one you support the most? I’m not sure I “champion” a particular cause over another, but any group that fights against stigma and ignorance, and spends dime and energy ensuring equality for all people, is very close to my heart.  

3. What did you want to be when you grew up? I mostly wanted to be Lion-O from the ThunderCats. I had a thing for swords and my hair was as untamed as his, so I figured I didn’t have a long way to go—five-year-old me didn’t waste much time thinking about details as minor as sexuality, gender, fixed realities, or humanoid feline DNA. Once I realized that there was more to life than swords, I wanted to become someone who studied the human mind and found new meaning in old words. 

4. In your next life, who or what would you most like to be? In any life, I would want to be me.

5. What is the one thing you wish you had known/someone had told you when you first started practicing Paganism? I was taught to celebrate the seasons, visualize my desires, assume responsibilities for my actions, respect all living things, and to see death as a part of the circle of life way before anyone said that what I did had a name. I guess it would have been nice to know that some people called it Paganism.  

6. What is your favorite part about summer? I love summer’s heat. My Aries soul feeds on Caribbean fire. I long for hot days—not warm, but hot—when the night sky is bursting with stars and I can lie on the grass clad in nothing but summer and smiles. 

7. If you were banished to a deserted isle, what three items would you bring with you? This question made me chuckle. It’s just that I’ve always wondered why so many people answer things like: water, a great book, food… I would bring a fueled plane, someone who can fly the machine, and the coordinates to a list of countries that really disliked whoever banished me to a forsaken place; that way, I can get water, a great book, food…

8. Summer is about living life to the fullest. How do you emphasize this in your pagan path? In summer, I do new things and I do them a lot. I love to try new foods under the sun, hike new trails—especially paths that haven’t been traveled by others. I dance and make love to raise energy and to celebrate the liveliness of my soul. Also, I start new stories. This year, I plan to write three short stories to publish during the winter months.

9. What is the one thing you absolutely must do in this lifetime? I must write fiction that enhances reality.

10. What is your idea of perfect happiness? The first thing that came to mind, when I read this question was, “Perfect happiness”? How boring! What will I aspire to if I’m perfectly happy? Then I walked around my bedroom, talked to my dragon’s blood plant, massaged his wispy leaves, and realized that my idea of perfect happiness involves a world where there is always something to do: things to discover, people to love, Nature to touch with my skin and words.
Gowns of “nothing but summer and smiles” are lovely in private spaces while “the night sky is bursting with stars,” but it might be a startling sight at midday in Central Park
That doesn’t mean that I can’t lie down under The Gateway Arch to enjoy the grinning noontime sun ;-) 
Eat your kitty heart out and keep your sword, Lion-O. I’ll always be the one with the sexier hair. 
You can have the psychotic toe-biting geese if you like.
 This interview first appeared in the 2012 summer issue of Pagan Living.


Share |

27 comments:

  1. I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome. Tanae is such a lovely person, and she is doing a great job with Pagan Living. I usually hate interviews, but she's so sweet ;-)

      Delete
  2. 'Clad in nothing but summer and smiles' Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel the warmth. Oops! there go my socks -)

      Delete
  3. I wish I loved the hot weather as much as you do. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind sharing some Caribbean blood. Right after the transfusion, you'll love the heat, enjoy pig feet, and feel like you can't survive without eating plantains. It has been scientifically proven ;-)

      Delete
  4. Speaking of untamed big hair, you'd love Princess Merida of "Brave." Maybe she'd replace Lion-O as your hair mentor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Merida's hair. And I adore the fact that when her mom tries to fix it, the wild girl pulls it out. It reminds me of someone. Yep, definitely better hair than Lion-O lol

      Delete
    2. Love Merida! The girl has got some fabulous hair and SUCH attitude.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this so much, I have a daughter who wanted to be a Thundercat also, I love your words, they make me feel good, always,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't be the only one! I have the hair, I hope she has the sword and all the cool vehicles ;-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely! I like the idea that summer is for living life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long days... fruit ripening... hot but comfortable under the shade... people listening to music and dancing in the streets (if you live in certain parts of New York)... swimming at night... oh, how I miss my Dominican rivers...

      Delete
  7. Great interview! I loved it! I especially love your answer to number 7 ;o) Clever witch you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know better than to flatter an Aries. Now my head doesn't fit through the door ;-)

      Delete
  8. Yep, i love the gown of nothing but summer and smiles... That's why i want my own little pond in the woods, so i can skinny dip and dance naked under the moon! I am also impressed with your quick answer to number 4, i think i could answer it the same but it would take a little mental coaxing to not answer someone else. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm the girl who wanted to be Lion-O, so it took me a bit of time to get there.

      Now, I'm daydreaming about swimming in the middle of the night. Just the river and me.

      Delete
  9. You gave a clever answer for question 7.
    I would never have thought of the plane and the guy to drive it! But I know I would take my cell phone, I like to talk. Wait, if I got tired of sitting on the island alone, I guess I could call for a flight home. So you would return before me but I would eventually get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll make sure the plane has a phone. That way, you can come back with me and speak as we fly ;-)

      Delete
  10. The geese couldn't help it.

    You have irresistible toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder the geese are always trying to eat them! I better keep them covered.

      Delete
  11. I love Thundercats! I remember that, Voltron, He-Man, She-Ra...my friends and I would act them all out.

    I agree, being perfectly happy is having something to do. When I hear people talk of Heaven where you get whatever you wish for...it sounds like a trap. Like something an evil villain would invent to capture unwitting humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old cartoons. I might have to watch some reruns this weekend. You've taken me back...

      Ha! The second half of your comment made me think about the clip about the Viking who goes to the Christian Heaven by mistake.

      Delete
    2. I've seen that, LOVED it! Did you post it?

      Delete
    3. I did post it a long time ago. And it is still hilarious lol

      Delete
  12. Magaly, I love this!
    "4. In your next life, who or what would you most like to be? In any life, I would want to be me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much ;-)

      Delete