Friends: Can’t Quit Them, Can’t Shoot Their Faces Off When They Annoy You

No, my Wicked Luvs, this is not the eleventh installment of The Haunting: a Webserial of Pre-Chaos, but a short break before the final episode. I thought the webserial was going to be thirteen episodes long, but after I finished writing what was supposed to be the part eleven, I noticed that the cliffhanger was infuriating, and NOT in that oh-my-gods-how-I-love-this-suspense! kind of way.

I decided to just wait until next week, and give you the conclusion of this bit of Luna and Leo’s story. It will be fairly long, for there are several ends that must be tied up—and few things are more unsatisfying than a rushed climax. The end of the webserial will take us to the front door (or would that be the front page?) of Blood Grudge, Luna and Leo’s first novel.   

Go ahead, my Luvs, ask the question, I know you are thinking it. Fine, I’ll ask it for you, “Um… what does this post have to do with quitting friends or giving them bullet-facials, Wicked Witch Writer?”

I’m sooo glad you asked. I wanted to tell you this, ages ago. First, I’m not really mad at my friends, and second, I refuse to pay for facials so I guess they get to keep their faces all pretty and stuff. But I was really pissed off a week ago. You see, I began publishing the rough draft of The Haunting: a Webserial of Pre-Chaos as a project, which was meant to encourage a few writer friends who couldn’t let go of some of their fears to share their work with anyone out of their immediate circle.

Creating isn’t easy. Sharing one’s creation with the whole-wide-(and extremely unknown)-world is even harder. For me, the most difficult thing is to show my work while it is only half-formed. But you know what? Doing so helps me build confidence as a writer, and it gives me an idea of what my intended audience wants to read.

I voiced these thoughts to my writer friends and they said that if I shared the writing process of one of my stories from beginning to end, they would do it, too. I wasn’t too crazy about the idea; not at first. I like writing at my own pace, but if a bit of teamwork would help a few friends, then… well, I agreed to do what they asked. Together, we decided to share the rough draft of one of our stories, and then discuss the editing, rewriting, submission/publication process on a writing forum.

I’ve been looking forward to the end of the month, for our first discussion was supposed to take place on September 3rd. Last week, I emailed the group, just to check on things, you know? Then the dubious replies began trickling in: “I don’t know, Magaly,” and “Maybe this wasn’t a good idea,” and “I didn’t think it would take this much work,” and “I don’t think I want to do this. It’s too public…”

Public? Of course it’s freaking public, that’s the reason it’s called publishing! I didn’t get mad because they changed their minds. I was pissed off because they took three months to do it. I could have used my time more efficiently (i.e. plotting my story and publishing it as a finished work). But what’s done is done. I had fun sharing the tale bit by bit, and it seems that many of you felt the same way. 

The final installment will be published next Friday, August 24th. And because I like to finish what I start, I will probably share some of the editing and rewriting process, anyway. I think some of you might be amused when I point out some of the mistakes I made, how I went about solving them, and the times when I just gave up and rolled with the story.

Hm… I wonder, wonder, wonder what “Preternatural Chaos,” the last installment of Luna and Leo’s tale, will bring… What do you think, my Wicked Luvs? Better yet, what would you like?

So… I was searching for a picture to add to this post. I typed the phrase “angry friends” and, of course, the above image came up. I stared at it for a long, long, long time, and I would tell you exactly what came to mind, but I’m sure that anything discussing angry penises wearing costumes would have to be moved to my Naughty Bits blog.


Share |

27 comments:

  1. I would have loved to dp the same thing but when I tried w my old blog the responses were less than thrilling and the few who took the stories seriously were oddly angry at what a lot of them called "disrespect for god, country, and home" which I thought was odd since so many people used the same phrase.

    But I like reading when you do it! :)

    No compile, publish, and charge for these brilliant writings!

    My kindle desperately needs unique food via good stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I need you to read (or reread) the preface to Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. I've found that many people who complain about certain writing do it because it challenges their limited vision of the world. Well, too bad. Write on.

      I shall feed your kindle in October ;-)

      And, hm... if I can get a few other players, um, writers, we might do what I had planned anyway. I would love to see your City through the eyes of other people.

      Delete
    2. The narcassist in me says "yes let's!"

      So, um, what are we doing?

      But yes anyway.

      Delete
    3. I was thinking about critiquing each other's work. Not just saying what we like or dislike about the theme, characterization and so on, but discussing the actual craft: what's missing? What works and why? How can we make it better?

      The Haunting would be too long for this purpose. Besides, I will be rewriting it extra fast to publish in October. I think something shorter would be better, hm... maybe something new. I will think about the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions?

      Delete
    4. I like the idea.

      And I'm trying to think of suggestions and not just questions.

      The really prolific writers used to do this without the advent of the internet way back in the day with just pen and paper.

      I have some stuff that needs crtiqueing.

      Let's make this happen.

      How should we start?

      Delete
  2. Ha ha... Dickheads... Yep ya gotta be a little peeved, but it was a great opportunity missed and they didn't exactly sieze the day (or three months) I think writers, artists need to have guts to go ahead with their work, we learn from mistakes, feedback and even the occasional crash & burn... Creating isn't for wimps and I get the feeling that in the quest to be accepted by ALL many miss the point, it makes the world beige and sedated rather than colourful and explosive... Magaly love your unique voice and how you can shout and laugh, be angry and then shower readers with beauty and so pleased to be a co-conspirator in your creative journey, you are wicked, intelligent, awesomely talented, a writer who leaves lasting impressions and touches the soul... Keep it coming babe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Creating isn't for wimps." Those are some very profound words, my friend. Every day speak for you, I know, but wow!

      Creating art is like giving birth and those who believe that it can't be just as painful are just delusional.

      I'm not too mad at them, it was a good importunity for me. I'm always up for a challenge. It reminds me that I'm alive.

      Delete
  3. They are not as brave and confident as you in your abilities...they will never be if they don't take risks...penises, indeed...haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confidence is a muscle, me thinks. Maybe they will find a different way to exercise it before it withers.

      And yep, on the penises lol

      Delete
  4. ...you just do whatever YOU wanna do! we're here for ya...rough or cleaned up...however you feel like presenting yourself...to the public...to the world! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you are lovely. And words like yours are the ones that give me courage ;-)

      Delete
  5. Too bad, Magaly, but it shows that YOU keep your commitments! I thought that photo was of the Village People when they get pissed off, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost dropped my computer. The Village People. Ha!

      Delete
  6. I tend to see the up-side of things so from my perspective you're the one that's moving forward toward your future while the others are stuck in their fears (a terribly sad place to be) ~ so I say BrAvO for you!!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just inspired a little dance ;-) Your comment echos what I said to my Piano Man. This was just a challenge, that shows that I can handle three things at the same time, and that will gave me a nice glimpse into what happens when I write 100% by the seat of my pants ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm a habitual chicken. I probably would have been one of those guys. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as the habitual chicken you say you are, you probably wouldn't have compromised to begin with.

      Delete
  8. Well, everyone needs to do things at their own pace. And people who never start the journey never get to where they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth, and the reason why I didn't get too upset. Just a little. It would be too arrogant of me to assume that just because something works for me it would work for them, too. I just wish they would have said something earlier *sigh*

      Delete
  9. I would have been pissed! If you are not going to keep the commitment, then say it from the beginning! Thanks for keeping your commitment Magaly! You are a woman of her word! I love what Debra said about the Village People! LOL! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra is a riot!

      Thanks so much for making feel better about sticking to my guns, for at one point in time I just felt silly.

      Hugs, right back at you!

      Delete
  10. I didn't agree to write something did I? If I did, I was drunk, or thought I could motivate myself to write something with the pressure. ;) Promise, promise I will have something on hats in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to say, "Of course you agreed!" Just to make you sweat a little lol I mean, what are friends for?

      I can't wait to see what you come up with for All Hallow's Grim!

      Delete
  11. Too public? I'm confused. I wrote my very first story and it was published on a site that was paid for and marketed and promoted. My very first attempt and it was amazing. But I like public. Hence why I had a hard time coming up with a pen name for the site, and why I now just post it on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saying that a piece of writing is "too public" for um, publishing, sounds silly, I know. But I understand what they mean. And like my grandma used to say "no one learns with someone else's head." Their time will come and they will get to their ends the way they choose. We'll stay public ;-)

      Delete
  12. Bwahahaha! Okay, I'll have to get this out of the way - I love your title and have shared the same thought many times, and these little angry penises are just hilarious. Hahahaha

    Okay now, I'd be pretty pissed if I were you as well. To wait 3 months to let you know the agreement was off? After you've done all this work and put yourself out there all exposed to the world? Well it just goes to show who has the ovaries in your group, now doesn't it? Hmmm...I wonder why you are the published one. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the title made your roared, I feel the same way ;-)

      And I'm even gladder that you understand what I meant when I said that I was annoyed they took so long to tell me about their mind change. I will write about later, for there was more to it than just they backing up. It was more about the fact that by publishing a manuscript so rough, I gave myself extra work and any mistakes I made (or deviation from my original story-line) I can no longer change because everyone has read them. So yes, it makes me a bit pissed off.

      Delete