Curry Goat, Surprise and Suspicion

Multifarious Day 7 (…on Wednesday… again)

Guess Who Just Had a Birthday? – My Piano Man is another year young, and the Little Princess and I had a blast celebrating the day of his birth, and debating which of the two of us was the worse at trying to keep his presents a secret.

The celebration of our Superhero’s birthday was a complete success. Not just because he loved his presents, but because it gave us (my Piano Man and I) the opportunity to see the Little Princess’ mind, heart and food appreciation grow. She contributed some of her allowance money for Daddy’s big present (if you have a six-year-old you know how difficult it is to get them to part with anything without the aid of masterful persuasion; she offered, and we are very proud).

And my gods, she was such a good eater! She devoured her curry goat over white rice, Russian potato salad, stewed beans, fried yellow plantains… She did Daddy’s dishes, “Because it’s your birthday and you shouldn’t do them, you know?”, and she was a model of selflessness while my Piano Man took a nap—she really, really, really wanted to wake him up to play games, but she was good and let him have his time. There was reading, there was eating, there was grinning, there was much loving… and I feel I’m the one getting all the gifts ;-)

I’m Such a Reader Pleaser – Many of you want to read a story of AlmaMia Cienfuegos at thirteen-years-old, others are interested in Soledad’s point of view, and most of you want to read a chapter from Dancing on Her Bones. So… because I’m a reader pleaser, I’ve decided to publish all three options. Stop by my website for dates and details. 

Pagan Living Survey – Tanae, the editor of Pagan Living Magazine, wants to make the lovely publication even better by offering exactly what readers want. She has posted a survey asking for opinions on what you want to read. Please stop by and share your desires… Tanae is listening. 
The Pagan Living, Autumn 2012 Issue, will be available Sep 1st. Isn’t it lovely?
Untimed Surprise – About a week ago, I received a copy of Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Time Untime, the latest book in her Dark-Hunters Series. It was a gift, but I have no idea who sent it. Whoever you are, thanks a million! Sherri is my favorite paranormal romance (with fangs and gods) writer, so do know that I uttered a blissful shriek when I opened the box. I LOVE the book ;-)

Suspicion – I’m not an impulse buyer, but I was walking around the city the other day, waiting for my Piano Man and a couple of friends (we were going to watch The Dark Knight Rises) when I looked into a shop and saw this bag and everything in me screamed that I had to have it:
It was love at first glance. I examined the bag for more than fifteen minutes. The strap has the softest of linings. The size of the bag is perfect for my kindle, wallet, a book, phone, and a few other essentials. I WANTED the bag. There is something attractive about vintage styling with vegetable tanned buffalo leather (I hope someone thanked the buffalo for the sacrifice). I asked the shop owner about the price—no tag—my love waivered when I learned the cost. I continued adoring the bag for a while, but I was almost sure I was not going to buy it. There was love, much of it, but common sense won and I put the bag down.

“How much are you willing to pay, girl?” The shop owner said in a thick Greek accent.

I thought about it, and said, “Fifty bucks.”

“Seventy-five.” He narrowed his eyes.

“Fifty,” I told him, my own narrowed eyes on him, but my right hand caressed the bag strap.

“Take it girl.” The shop owner grinned and shook his head.

I paid him, thanked him, and went to watch the movie with my Love and our friends.

Later that night, I was online searching for a picture of my new bag to share with you, when I came across its price… my eyes widened a little. I went to other sites, I visited Spikes & Sparrow—the manufacturer—but everywhere I looked the bag was priced three times what I paid. Suspicion filled my mind, and I told my Piano Man about it. Um… he might have laughed at me, but I don’t hold it against him, for it was a terribly silly attitude for me to take. I’m a Witch, I should have known better. I should have accepted that the bag was mine, the old man knew it, and he also knew how much I was willing to pay. *sniffs the bag and grins with delight* Life happens is good ;-)
   

Share |

42 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're enjoying life! Haven't been commenting as much as I want to, life is just crazy... you go and enjoy your man some more! Now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing lots of enjoyment, lately. I predict I shall continue doing it, too ;-)

      Delete
  2. The bag is wonderful and I am so glad you found each other!!!
    Happy Birthday Piano Man!!
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm pretty sure we're mean to be lol

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to the man who makes you happy! And how wonderful that the storeowner was willing to dicker with you for that bag and at such an amazing price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling my Piano Man the same. It was quite refreshing to find a old country soul in the middle of New York City ;-)

      Delete
  4. Looks like the best b-day party ever! What a sweet little girl - and handsome man of course!! Loved this chock full of info blog - I had never heard of the magazine, must see if it is available in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks all the way around ;-) And guess what? It is a free online magazine, so you can just click and read. Yay!

      Delete
  5. Glad life is being good for you :) The bag looks fabulous and sometimes things are just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. And my goodness, I get happy when life is not psychotic in her reactions to me.

      Delete
  6. A big happy belated birthday to him!

    Successful birthdays are a big deal and rare in my experience so congrats to you two party planners for pulling it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed! But we have this system where we torture the birthday person until they tell us their desired menu, which we cook for him or her. Then we spent months pretending that we are not doing anything for them, and of course telling them how BUSY we are so we are sorry that we can't take the time to celebrate the date he or she popped into the world bloody and shrieking... the real fun is watching the Little Princess make her "lying face." She is the worse liar in the world and it is hilarious to see her trying to stare at you until you believe she is telling the truth lol

      Delete
  7. So lovely when the world laughs with you and holds you close :) lots of love and light to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa. It is such a huge truth, and one for which I thank the universe everyday for ;-)

      Delete
  8. I love haggling! I'm the one all my friends take to garage sales....haha! That bag is adorable!

    Happy Birthday to your Piano Man...and, having a 6 year old myself, I fully appreciate the selflessness of your Little Princess! Well done!!
    They do grow up so quickly!!

    Hugs to you, Magaly!
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! There is something so cool about using persuasion to get exactly what you want in an arena where all party interested have the same chance ;-)

      Delete
  9. Oh honey, happy happy birthday to your super hot Piano Man! To share such love and tenderness is surely a gift for all three of you. Your menu sounds like exotic enticement. Did you make that gourmet spread??? The little Princess has amazing control not to wake daddy to play games! And to OFFER her allowance...well that is just pure love right there. Wishing more happiness than your heart can hold, my beautiful friend. Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best feelings is to watch them enjoy what I make, so yes, I cooked it all. And it was yummy! ask the Little Princess, she would tell you all about it ;-)

      Delete
  10. Aww, sounds like a very sweet birthday (and such a sweet kid!) Thanks again for posting the survey - hopefully we can really fine-tune the magazine in the next couple of issues. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the sweetest, and when she use that power to make her Daddy happy, oh... my heart glows ;-)

      Well, considering the magazine is already awesome, the only thing that can happen is for it to get more amazing.

      Delete
    2. *fingers crossed* I'm such a perfectionist. I think I spend more time obsessing over the magazine than actually working on it. :P

      Delete
  11. Happy Happy Birthday to your Hottie! What a sweet little girl you have, and that bag knew it was meant for you. No one and no thing can resist a Witch in Want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "No one and no thing can resist a Witch in Want." That is a very powerful truth, isn't it? And I will give my Hottie your message ;-)

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful posting ~ happy all the way around, whoot! Love the new bag(!) and here's wishing your Piano Man a wonderful year ahead! ♫Happy Birthday♫
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon. I make sure I sing it to him. And I'm quite in love with my bag, too!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful birthday for your Piano Man, the dinner sounds yummy.

    I love that bag, it's gorgeous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner was yummy, indeed. My Piano Man and the Little Princess enjoyed it a lot (me, too!). And I just gave my bag an eyebrow wiggle ;-)

      Delete
  14. OH i LOVE your new bag...and it's good you got it, no matter what u ended up paying for it. if you hadn't...you probably would have dreamed about it and gone back the next day anyway!

    HAPPY BIRTHday to your man! Leo's unite! my Bday is the 19th and sam's is the 21st!
    i love curries...and right now my mouth is watering.

    (by the way, i looked at barnes & noble for Alma...not there yet?! i REALLY want her on my nook!!) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite enamored, too. I just winked at it lol.

      Oh wow so many Leos in this forest. I hope you guys have wonderful birthdays.

      AlmaMia should be at B&N by the end of the month *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday to your man!

    And I'm glad you got the bag. It looks lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Another year hot and young." LOL I love that.

    Happy Birthday, Piano Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it is, but he keeps on getting yummier ;-)

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday Piano Man. I wish I could send you guys a gift but perhaps next year. Magaly I do have something for you though not really a gift but a thank you. A real time friend and I started this bada list, a list of various events that all begin with Bada, one of which is the list of Bada Awesome. I hope you don't mind (I know you won't) but I added ya. you can find it at the link.

    To the Piano man and the little Princess, another year of life and wisdom, another year of joy and love. What more can a man ask when he has his Queen and his princess, his health and his destiny. Blessings to each and all of you from the student of Nyx, may the next year bring you more love then you can handle, less drama then you need and more excitement that you can hope for. Congrats to the wicked family :) (It's one am I'm rambling sorry lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what "bada" is ;-( so, um, thank you? Guess I will google it, huh?

      Thanks so much for your good wishes. Hope you are having a great beginning of the weekend.

      Delete
  18. I love this post... I'm touched by the sweet celebration of the beautiful pianoman's birthday and the genuine joy in the faces and words of those who love him, please wish him the Happiest of Birthdays Ever (until the next one) from the Sunshine Gang over here in Oz... And Magaly, that buffalo was waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wishing my Piano Man the happiest of birthdays over, and over, and over, and... Like I said, I feel like I'm the one getting the gifts ;-) Thanks for the good wishes, Shelle and Company! And you are so right about that buffalo!

      Delete
  19. Hey Magaly ;o) I am catching up in bloggy land ;o) I have been gardening a lot! I just wanted to wish your Piano Man a happy belated birthday! It looks like he had a very special one ;o) The bag is amazing!! I love it! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, just thinking about you gardening makes me feel better. I always miss you bunches, but I love knowing you are having fun with your leafy friends ;-)

      I will tell my Piano Man and thanks for the lovely words about my bag. I believe she's grinning ;-)

      Delete
  20. Love that bag! Such a great post about such a good life. Love your piano man's reaction. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Piano Man always knows how to keep life interesting, in hot, and yeah, that too ;-)

      Delete