The Orb of Dogma

Multifarious Day 4 
No, I have no idea why my butt is aimed at the Celestial Temple. I chose this picture because it is the only one I have, which shows the setting for Deep Space Nine, my favorite Star Trek series.

25 Years of Star Trek: The Next Generation – My beloved Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has only been around since 1993, but today I send a witchy salute to Star Trek: The Next Generation lovers, for they are celebrating their 25th anniversary. Which is your favorite Star Trek spin off, my Luvs? Yes Penny dear, your Texan Zombie Goddess heart can choose Night of the Living Trekkies ;-)

Love Me Art-Fully – I hope you are ready for a little fire, a little color and a lot of art-full witchy love. Thanks so much everyone; there is no grater gift than to surround my life—and in some very special cases my altar—with your art and energy. Here is my altar and the goodies I’ve received lately:
My summer altar; greet The Mother and The Wild God. (I really love all the reflections and  shadows ;-)
 Now, to the gifts…
“Cat Girl” by Shelle – SunshineShelle
 “Fire” by Sandi – The Enchanted Garden
“Leonid” by Luna – A Wish in the Woods
“Midnight Dance” by Stacy – MagicLoveCrow
Phantom by Laura DeLuca
The Catalyst by Zoe Winters 
Celebrate Oz Winner and Winnings – I wished for striped stockings and sparkly shoes, and I got them! With the witch still in them ;-) Thanks so much you Karen Anne. I love, love, love my ACEO.
“The Wicked Witch Is Dead” by Karen Anne – IrelandBrady - Musings to Ponder  
 I get to announce a winner, too. Before I do, I must quote Stacy and say, “I swear I didn’t cheat.” *sigh* The inspiration for “I’ve Dreamed of Deadly Poppy Fields” goes to Karen Anne. Yes, the same Karen Anne who blessed me with sparkly shoes and striped stockings. See why I said the bit about cheating? I guess Fate and Randomizer want to be funny. Congrats, my dear Karen Anne! Please email me your information. Um, I guess you can just reply to the message I sent you with my mailing information lol
This is SunshineShelle’s dreamy work ;-)
Fully Buttered – as you can see above, I’m quite partial to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, so when Gina suggested Star Trek as this week’s fully buttered prompt, I knew my creation would had to be about the Bajorans. They are the very religious alien race at the center of the DS9 series, and the guardians of the Orbs of the Prophets—artifacts that help people in the exploration of their spiritual selves. Like Christopher Jones points out in his article, “There’s an Orb for That...,” the Barjorans have orbs for just about anything one can think of; for prophecy and change, for contemplation, for wisdom, for memory, for truth, for souls, for destiny, for unity, for the emissary…

Well, after watching Deliver Us From Evil, a documentary that shows a very small group of brokenhearted Catholics going against the powerful members of a religious institution that uses faith to deceive communities, destroy lives, and to breed pedophilia, I decided to create The Orb of Dogma.
This is a spiral of infinite colors—use your imagination and see, my Luvs—with a mirror in the center. The Orb of Dogma represents my views on spirituality: I believe spirituality (and the way some people interpret dogma) is a reflection of the interpreter’s soul. For regardless of what path people say they follow, their actions towards the rest of the world will show their true colors. Some of the so called Catholics in Deliver Us From Evil show the rotting nastiness they are made of. If you choose to watch the documentary—and I think you might want to—watch it in the company of someone you love and trust; someone with a soul which tells your mind that although the world breeds evil, the bright heart beating next to yours proves that there is also a lot of good. 
This is the original drawing of The Orb of Dogma. I like it, but I fell in love with the altered one. In case you are wondering about the materials, I used coloring pencils, crushed leaves, aluminum foil, glitter... and pretty much whatever I found at my writing space. Oh, I spilled some French vanilla coffee on it; everybody knows a life without deliciously sweet coffee yum is no life at all.
Words of the Week
(Words, like religions, assume the shape of the interpreter… but that doesnt make them true)
Womann. of womb and man; the female of the human race; a female attendant or servant; to make pliant
Wifen. The lawful consort of a man; a woman who is united to a man in the lawful bonds of wedlock; and in case you are wondering about the other side of the coin, here it goes: Husbandn. A man contracted or joined to a woman by marriage… an economist; a good manager; a man who knows and practices the methods of frugality and profit; the male of animals of a lower order. Um… huh? You don’t say… no, I mean it, you don’t say.
Religion, n. from religo, to bind anew… word seems originally to have signified an oath… to the gods
Slaveryn. Bondage; the state of entire subjection of one person to the will of another
Catholica. Liberal; not narrow-minded, partial, or bigoted. Jesus might approve, don’t you think?
(Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary, 1861)

No husbands, religions or Catholics were harmed during the creation of this post.

48 comments:

  1. Wow . . . that altar of yours is breathtaking!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lon. I do love my altar. Some writers love a view out of their window or to enjoy writing outside, I write right in front of my altar. It's calming and it keeps me focused. I try to keep it looking fun and lovely ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, the altar is fabulous and I love the shadows too! By the way, I secretly had my eye on “Cat Girl” but I’m glad you got it. I love SunshineShelle’s art. I think Stacy’s “Midnight Dance” is my favorite of her drawings. And my favorite Star Trek series is Next Generation. I always fantasized with Data because he had boyish charm, was anatomically correct and fully programmed in um, you know. Yes I’m a dirty old lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I was thinking about the same thing when I saw Yoda on your shelf. I really wanted him, even tried to buy it, but he was meant for you. And I do love, love, love "Midnight Dance" that is why it's on my altar--it glows with balance and love.

      I don't think you are a dirty old lady, many have fantasized about Mr. Data. You should see the pic I posted on my Facebook page ;-)
      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3770801153990&set=a.1017854612047.2002978.1395580659&type=1&theater

      Delete
    2. I checked it out. Now that was too funny. I laughed so hard I was tearing. Yes, the balance and love was what captured me about Midnight Dance. And by the way, I have a new favorite of Stacy's artwork it's called Magic Happens. It's awesome!

      You saw Yoda?! Well, you know I had to get him. He's my grandpappy. Didn't you see the resemblance: short, ears that stick out, frizzy hair? Did you recognize the twins? They're also Shelle's work.

      Delete
    3. I laughed like a lunatic as some of the comments, too. Too hilarious. I went to check out "Magic Happens" and it is fantastic.

      I saw your Yoda and the twins, totally cool.

      Delete
  3. Loving the "feeling" you are putting into your art Magaly, that orb of Dogma is brilliant!....and the words...Religion = blind anew. Didn't know that, though I have often found people who found religion anew were blind to their own past behaviour.
    And I always fancied one of those fancy Bajoran earings :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when I saw the roots of the word, too. That is the reason why I only added that and not the super-long definition. The root seemed pretty accurate in the case of the documentary.

      I'm happy you like the art, you, Shelle and Stacy have encouraged me to express myself in ways other than writing. It is not comfortable, for I'm not as proficient with this medium, but there are times when the discomfort/the confusion goes exactly wit the feeling I want to show.

      I wanted a Bajoran earring, too!

      Delete
  4. I love your altar table. My sister made my round altar into a kitchen shelf. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the altered drawing...the mirrored surface is exciting and reflective of change and hope all wrapped up together!! And the leaves add life and texture!!
    So wonderful
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "exciting and reflective of change and hope all wrapped up together!!" I really like that ;-)

      Delete
  6. "No husbands, religions or catholics were harmed during this post". I swear a little coffee came out through my nose but it was worth it. This is n't the first time this happens to me with something you have written. That should teach me to drink my coffee with such a wicked witch, but you are one of my favourite morning habbits.
    You plus coffee equals happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being one of your favorite morning habits. And to be put at the same level with coffee? I LOVE it!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to everyone! And to you, dear Magaly. Great post. Just like greekwitch I was trying to swallow a sip of coffee when I read "no Catholics were harmed during this post"! Love your humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems coffee is very explosive today ;-)

      And yes, I wanted to make sure everyone knew that for the purpose of this post no Catholics were harmed. I had the poor families from the documentary in mind. They were such good people who didn't deserve what those monsters have done to them.

      Delete
  8. I'm a fan of the original Star Trek series, cheesy though it sometimes was! Well, maybe cheesiness is a little bit of the attraction, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the original Star Trek is cheesy. And if it is, I would forgive them everything if they send me one of those female uniforms on a size five ;-)

      Delete
  9. Hi Magaly, it's me ... Karen Anne! WOW! I'm still finding it hard to believe I won Shelle's beautiful painting, “I’ve Dreamed of Deadly Poppy Fields”! I am a huge fan of Shelle's and deliriously ecstatic!

    Your painting, "Orb of Dogma", is beautiful ... and I too like the altered one best. You are creative in sooooooooooooo many ways!

    And I choked on my coffee as I read your quip "No husbands, religions or Catholics were harmed during the creation of this post."! LOL! My question, however, is what about Women, Wives, and Slaves?

    Happy Day, Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most like you very much because I wanted Shelle's ACEO for myself. But I remember my Piano Man's words "If you really love it and want it for yourself, then it is a great present." (He was explaining to the Little Princess that it is okay to really want to keep a present she got for someone else lol

      And I'm always worried about the women, wives, slaves and a few good men... who knows...

      Delete
  10. Lol! I love your disclaimer. :) And great Orb of Dogma. Congrats to the winner and to you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! DS9 is my favorite, too.
    We are just re-watching the whole thing atm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Piano Man and I are re-watching DS9, too! I can't wait to get to Jadzia and Wolf ;-)

      Delete
  12. Orb of Dogma...love the art and meaning of that one....I can imagine myself standing in front of that mirror and peering into the mysteries of my soul...

    The ACEO you received is wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if you were to stand in front of The Orb of Dogma, you would see wonderful things ;-)

      Delete
  13. My favourite Star Trek is Voyager.

    Congrats on all your goodies!

    I agree with your view on spirituality/religion; it doesn't matter what you call yourself, only how you behave towards the planet and the creatures - human and otherwise - that share it with you!

    And I love your disclaimer at the end of your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven of Nine is one of my favorite Star Trek character, only second to Jadzia Dax, so I like Voyager a lot, too ;-)

      I'm very happy you enjoy the disclaimer, I didn't want any confusion lol

      Delete
  14. You should have seen my husband's eyes grow big when I told him about your dictionary. lol My fav. Star Trek IS The Next Generation. I was in love with Wil Wheaton until I got older then my crush moved to Patrick Stewart where it has remained faithful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell hubby that there are some words that are so terrible that I won't even put them in Pagan Culture for fear that their nastiness will rub off lol.

      It seems Patrick Stewart has been many people's first crush. I fell in love with his voice, and remain faithful, too ;-)

      Delete
    2. Not the awful words but by the awesomeness of the gift...light bulb moment. LoL

      Delete
    3. That makes perfect sense lol. I hold that dictionary and my antique typewriter as two of my greatest possessions. My Piano Man doesn't only have a heart of gold, he has great insight and great taste, too. I love that man ;-)

      Delete
  15. Yes, a beautiful altar. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched the original series faithfully. I met Jimmy Doohan (Scotty) and Gene Roddenberry. But it's DS9, all the way. I liked Worf in STNG, but the character was given much more scope in DS9 with Jadzia Dax. I got a Klingon dictionary because of that show. And you can find the ear cuffs online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a Klingon dictionary, well now I'm extremely jealous. I used to have one and it got lost with other things in my past. Hm, I think I know what I will get me for Yule lol.

      Jadzia Dax is my favorite Star Trek character. I'm enchanted by her brains, her brave heart, her light soul and her approach to life.

      Delete
  17. Magaly, you have been one fortunate person! Wow, look at all the wonderful prizes you have received! Your altar looks beautiful ;o) Are you sure you didn't cheat? LOL! Congrats to Karen Anne! That is too funny she won and you won her's! I am still laughing about your disclamer! LOL! Your altered Orb Of Dogma is beautiful ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see Wink and Casanova? Yep, they are dancing all the hours away on top of my altar. I love seeing them there (They've inspired lots of kisses, just so you know).

      And I'm pretty sure I didn't cheat lol And I wish I could hear you laugh ;-)

      Delete
  18. Sorry to admit i have not been a star trek fan but that orb idea is very cool, love seeing your altar as well! Congrats on all the great art winnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize! There are tons of people who don't care for Star Trek, just like I've never been interested in raw steak. It's a preference, you know?

      Glad you liked the idea though ;-)

      Delete
  19. I am not a big Trek fan, but I used to enjoy watching STNJ. OMG, Worf was so viking like and I truly loved him. However, I must tell you that your butt looks great with that orb! Quite the energizing duo. ;-)

    Your summer altar is so mesmerizing. I could get lost in meditation just staring at it. Perhaps the placement, perhaps the energy is so raised, I can feel it here.

    Wow! Look at those goodies. Oh sweetie, you have hit the mother load and I can not think of a more deserving beautiful witch than you to have it all and more. And...LOL...loved your last tag, "No husbands, religions or Catholics were harmed during the creation of this post." You are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My butt always wanted to be part of a duo lol

    I'm so happy you love my altar. I'm sure you noticed two very special wands, which I got from two very special people. Most things are rotated (with the season) on my altar, but those wands are always there. They seem to have claim the place.

    And yes, I'm quite adorable, ask my Dad and he'll verify it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love anything space, scifi, horror....but you know that.:P I loved Deep Space Nine too. If I had the money, I'd be all over the Trek conventions.....it's probably good that I'm broke as hell. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to go together and show the world what witchy aliens look like lol

      Delete
  22. I loved Voyager for Seven of Nine, but Deep Space Nine had Jadzia Dax. Those were my top two, but I watch all of them.

    When I was pregnant with my son, My Dad and I called him Dax.

    Your alter is stunning, and I am in love with your altered orb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had ever had a female child, she would have probably been named Jadzia. And I would spend a lot of time praying that she acted a bit like her name-sake. What a strong being? And Seven of Nine always puzzled me and interested me. She was my other favorite ;-)

      Delete
  23. Your Alter is very beautiful and I absolutely love your "The Orb of Dogma"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Carol. I'm quite fond of my altar, too ;-)

      Delete