I Want a Darth Vader Lightsaber

I want a mighty stick of power with which to honorably duel all the pixies and faeries in my mostly edible, and totally witchy, bit of New York City jungle.

The last sentence wouldn’t read so strange, if you, too, had just ingested every delicious word that grows in the literary garden of Debora Geary’s books. I’ve been addicted to Witch Central ever since I read A Modern Witch. This month my fix came in the shape and flavor of two novels.

But before I tell you more about Debora’s fictional witchy yumminess, and about why I’m also wishing for chaos-causing pixies, I must show you that bit of New York City jungle I mentioned above. On the summer issue of Pagan Living, I told the world all about my sorrow over not having a garden. Guess what? I’m gardenless no more! Say hello to my little green friends ;-)

Rosemary Frog and Alien Palm (aka dragon’s blood)
are exclusively used for magical works, so they live in the bedroom near my altar.

Meet the living room dwellers: Rosemary, bamboo, ivy, philodendron, dumb cane and citronella, in that order. I was happy out of my mind when the citronella began to flower.
 


And, of course, the terrace tasty treats: tomato, pepper and strawberry. You should see the Little Princess’s eyes after she picks a strawberry. A couple of days ago she said, “Tell me when the tomatoes are ready to eat.” The remark made me giggle, for as anyone who understands anything about Witches already figured out, I’m very serious about my greenery.
       
 

Debora Geary’s fiction, for instance, expresses witchy knowledge in every word.  

A Nomadic Witch by Debora Geary – with this novel I got to experience word-magic through the eyes of a grumpy man whose heart is melted by the loving power of a six-year-old girl and the most interesting of witchy armies. Debora’s fast pace and hilarious tone has always made my heart jump, and in A Nomadic Witch the emotional acrobatics reached a new level when a little girl got to battle pain with a Darth Vader lightsaber and soul full of belief.    

Witches in Flight by Debora Geary – emotional acrobatics and believe in self and others are present like yum on cookies in the last installment of the WitchLight Trilogy. The story begins with two broken young women (Elsie and Lizard) being introduced into a family of witches willing and eager to help them find their path towards healing. When I finished reading the third book, I felt the sort of witchy empowerment that can only be matched by climbing the rope at the end of the Marine Corps Obstacle Course, and banging my chest while yelling, “My platoon rules!” Yep, it is that inspiring.  

Mr. Pumpkin-Head and Other Poems by Victoria Zigler – while my face still glows with inspiration, I should probably tell you why I’ve been dreaming about honorably dueling pixies and faeries. It’s all Tori’s fault; since I read her collection of poems, I haven’t been able to stop seeing “chaos-causing” pixies everywhere. I enjoyed the eclecticism of Victoria’s collection. There is a bit of poetic magic for every age and taste. The first time I read the poems, I was enchanted by one titled “Do You Believe in Magic?” Then, the other morning, I woke up to a rosemary pot invaded by mushrooms, and something told me Tori’s pixies had something to do with it. Read the evidence:   
“Pixies”
The fairies helped me with my chores
But they’re all business, so, they’re bores.
What really made me laugh today
Was when the pixies came to play.
They caused chaos, yes, it’s true,
But they did what they came to do.
They made me laugh, they made me smile,
Though it was just for a short while.
But still, they came and cheered me up,
And played with me and my pup.
Maybe one day when you feel blue
The pixies will come visit you too.

And here is the visual proof. Yep, pixies have definitely been dancing in my rosemary pot. 
I know there is a wee chance that I might have over-watered the soil, but... nah, pixies did it ;-)

What have you read this month, my Wicked Luvs? Do share your bookish thoughts...







Share |

48 comments:

  1. Blame the fey. Always blame the fey, especially when mushrooms are involved. :)

    I have to wonder if those mushrooms are edible...yes I'm a nut. And I love my mushrooms, although I don't know anything about the different kinda.

    Also, I had to laugh at the thought of you beating your chest and yelling "My platoon rules!" I could see you doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they were running wild and drunk on rosemary fumes.

      I think the reason why you can see me yelling "My platoon rules!" while banging my chest is because I've done, several times. There is also the possibility that I've yelled nonsense about the opposing platoon *cough, cough*

      Delete
  2. I am jealous. I miss my little green friends. In our hasty move and the fact that we are now staying with a friend we had to leave the plants behind. =( Soon we will be in our new house though and then I will go nuts. B)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling. They took almost 6 months to repair our terrace, and all that time I just wished and wished. Still, I only have a few plants and I want MORE, so maybe we can go nuts together ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have always found it amusing that my mom's middle name was Fae lol. I'm not reading anything witchy. I'm about to start "Even White Trash Zombies Get The Blues". Makes me tingle just thinking about it :).

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be mildly in love with that title. On my way to check out the book!

      Delete
  4. Not much reading. A friend gave me a book she was involved with, and I haven't even finished half (and haven't gotten to her part of it). Le sigh. I'll make more time, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers for more time for you. My brain would explode if I went too long without reading a few books ;-(

      Delete
  5. Yup...they truly played in your garden for sure!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget that it comes with sound effects! Cause life is better in sound! And seriously, how fun would it be to have a darth vadar light saber with sound? I'm actually just reading this book now. Love her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the rest of the books. I love them all, as I'm sure you've already figured out. And yes, the sound effects sound wicked!

      Delete
  7. What fabulous greenery Magaly :D So glad you have managed to bring the natural world into your home :D ...and the pixies...like you need any help with mischief lol XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now lets see if I can maintain it. This heat waves are insane, poor tomato plant is looking hot right now *sigh*

      The pixies and I always have a good time ;-)

      Delete
  8. How lovely your greenery Ms. Witch. And to blame the pixies for the mushrooms is well......taking a chance. You could make them laugh and then again, they might take offense. But your green thumb kicks butt.
    I have some seeds from my Black Magic hollyhocks, would you like to be gifted with some? I'm harvesting the last of the seed today. Let me know.
    xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you are even asking a witch if she wants seeds, you know that answer to that question. I have a huge empty pot that will probably like a new dweller ;-)

      Um, now you scare me, I hope the pixies read this and know I was saying it in fun. I don't want things disappearing or braking without explanation. I better put some sugar water and shiny hard candy out as a peace offering lol

      Delete
  9. Nice pictures of plants ... for witch spells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some for witchery, some to eat, all to love ;-)

      Delete
  10. great! LOTS of greenery...NICE!

    so the Pixies...are most probably the reason we are over run by mushrooms, so many kinds...all different colors and shapes, the mushrooms i mean.
    i thought it was all the rain...humidity...but i'd rather blame it on the pixies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your mushrooms and your pixies must be super amazing artists because they are sooo colorful and beautiful. You can tell them to visit me anytime they wish. I will have treats for them ;-)

      Delete
  11. Your plants look so happy! I love your terrace too. I chaperoned one of Mooch's field trips and we went to a public garden that had a faerie circle, cement toadstools that misted your feet every few minutes. The kids were confused what it was until Mooch said, "It means the fae dance here. If you step in it they can play a trick on you and make you sleep for a hundred years"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my tomato is looking a bit hot right now. But I think he'll be okay *fingers crossed*

      Ahhhh, a faerie ring, how lovely. I hope the babes stay out of it, one hundred years is a mighty long time to sleep ;-)

      Delete
  12. Love all of your mini gardens throughout your home. Citronella plants are absolutely wonderful - their smell sends blood seeking mosquitoes on the run! Other flying mini monsters are also repelled by their lemony fragrance.

    I had two years ago, but they passed away due to dehydration neglect, alas my poor Citronella! Anyway, I haven't been able to find them anywhere around here ... you just reminded my to begin looking for it again! Thanks Magaly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about making some incense and bug spray. Hm, I might have to send you some while you get your own plant ;-)

      Delete
  13. JEALOUS!! But inspired. I think I will try to get some indoor plants!! Hugs lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs right back at you. Can't wait to see what you plant!

      Delete
  14. Magaly, your garden is looking beautiful! Well done ;o) Everything is being loved and taken care of perfectly ;o) Got to love those pixies ;o) Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream with greenery that is half as vast and lush as yours! I enjoy looking at what you share, and often tell my plants that when they grow up, I hope I can get them just as many siblings ;-)

      Delete
  15. It was so obviously the pixies; it couldn't be your doing! Those pixies are terrible for causing chaos! They also like to steal sweet things, so be careful of that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm pretty sure, too. But I know they are just having fun. Maybe next time they will remind me to not over water the plants *cough, cough*

      And we all need a bit of chaos in our lives ;-)

      Delete
  16. I'm jealous. When it comes to green witchery, I am a big fat fail most of the time. I have one parsley plant that looks a little droopy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, we this heat, lots of things are looking droopy *sigh* I hope the parsley recovers.

      Delete
  17. I think the faeries did it to frame the pixies. Your garden looks awesome. I have a fig tree and some scattered nature in the backyard. One of these days I'll make sense of it. For now I harvest figs and give to my friends. My indoor plants are bamboo, a lily plant (forget which one but it has white flowers), and this past Christmas' poinsetta. There are a lot of stray cats, squirrels and birds in my neighborhood. The squirrels, birds and some insects eat half my figs. At some point I'm going to get a small greenhouse so that I can grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs and possibly lemons as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, figs! You know your faeries well, I'm sure they are snickering somewhere while the pixies glare. They will probably settle the matter in a sword fight as is proper. I wonder who will get control of the garden in the end ;-)

      I have a few birds who take liberties and snack on the strawberries every now and then. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad.

      Lemons? Double yum!

      Delete
  18. :) I though birds or other creatures were eating all our strawberries until Miss 5 mentioned that the strawberries we had bought were not as nice as the ones in our garden. After a talk we all managed to have a taste of a strawberry we grew, and she was very right. No comparison.

    She had a fondness for tomatoes, peas and beans as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can just imagine her picking the berries and enjoying them all by herself. The Little Princess is always trying to explain to us why she should have the biggest and the sweetest and well, most of everything. Yep, they can be quite the cute narcissists at that age, can't they?

      Delete
  19. Yes, perhaps next time they'll remind you about the watering. Perhaps to encourage them you could leave a note with a sweet treat. Something like, "dear pixies, please could you make sure I'm aware if the watering is done enough on my plants. As payment for your services I enclose for you to enjoy. Thank you in advance, Magaly." And a promise of giving them your little garden might help sweeten the deal... It seemed to please Jenks and family anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing sweetens a pixie's disposition as much as the possibility of a garden to take care of, particularly in The Hollows ;-)

      Delete
  20. Oh, your foliage inside and out is gorgeous! I love what the pixies left for you. I love fairies and pixies so much!!! Hugging you tightly sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words about my greenery, my beloved Mina. And just so you know, since I've known you all of the pixies and faeries that visit my imagination sparkle green.

      Delete
  21. Oh you have a green thumb Magaly & you have created a haven for the little folk :) Love Tori's pixies creation & the reviews of Debora's books make me want to investigate because they sound fantastic... a Darth Vader light saber & a soul full of belief... sounds inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read Debora's books you should give it go my Shelle. There is something about the family dynamics, about the way magic works within Witch Central, and about each member's heart holds pieces of the rest of the family which I think you would appreciate.

      Delete
  22. I have one plant that is about to strangle me. My plants have all died, all my life. I'm not sure I will ever be "what plants crave". 10 pts. if you can tell me what movie that quote is from. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Talk to that plant, you don't want it to start getting any strange ideas ;-)

    I would like to by Idiosyncratic for 500!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close! Idiocracy, but we all know what word that movie is about. You still get 10 pts.:D

      Delete
    2. Damn Freudian Slips! I meant to type "Idiocracy" lol.

      Delete
  24. Congratulations on the greenery :) *sigh* more books on the wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many books on the reading list ;-)

      Delete